Why is Mazda-Australia so much more successful than Mazda-USA?

Cant speak to Australia but Ive owned a couple of Mazdas in the US.

1). Hard to find. Typically, they*re in a Subaru dealer, around me at least, so the branding is weak. When they arent, the dealers are so-so, although the Mazda branded dealers around here havent been too bad in my experience.

2). Product quality is edgy. I think theyre solid, except the 3, but the reputation for rust & bad quality is still there.

3). They arent, really, high end. Sure, the Signature is probably fun, my 2015 was fun in its way, but its low gas mileage, crappy 360 camera, poor center armrest, stoopid infotainment, fun handling but not good handling because of the tires, etc. Its just not quite there, not, that every crossover doesnt have some kind of imperfection.

4). The overall line is weak and countered by something else, in every case. The CX-5 is a standout, the 6, not at all. Even the Miata, which is a standout in its way, is a limited niche.

Can*t speak to Australia but I*ve owned a couple of Mazdas in the US.

1). Hard to find. Typically, they*re in a Subaru dealer, around me at least, so the branding is weak. When they aren*t, the dealers are so-so, although the Mazda branded dealers around here haven*t been too bad in my experience.

2). Product quality is edgy. I think they*re solid, except the 3, but the reputation for rust & bad quality is still there.

3). They aren*t, really, high end. Sure, the Signature is probably fun, my 2015 was fun in it*s way, but it*s low gas mileage, crappy 360 camera, poor center armrest, stoopid infotainment, fun handling but not good handling because of the tires, etc. It*s just not quite there, not, that every crossover doesn*t have some kind of imperfection.

4). The overall line is weak and countered by something else, in every case. The CX-5 is a standout, the 6, not at all. Even the Miata, which is a standout in it*s way, is a limited niche.

With the exception of the shoddy US dealer network (my closest dealer is joint with Nissan - yuck), I don*t see how any of those things would be any different in Australia.

Regardless, my point of this thread is wondering out loud why Mazda USA is so poorly run. They*re doing very little to change the impressions you cited.

With the exception of the shoddy US dealer network (my closest dealer is joint with Nissan - yuck), I don*t see how any of those things would be any different in Australia.

Regardless, my point of this thread is wondering out loud why Mazda USA is so poorly run. They*re doing very little to change the impressions you cited.

I wasn't comparing, never been to Australia, but those are the issues that make me think twice about Mazda here in the US and I*ve owned to of them. Apparently Hyundai does OK in Australia and Honda not so much. Maybe Aussies are just different.

Wait, maybe I see the misunderstanding. My post was not about car value, but the number of cars sold so far in 2019. So for example Subaru has sold 20.6% less Imprezas from Jan 1 - July 31st 2019 compared to Jan 1 - July 31st 2018. Looking at the Golf-R, it has sold 26% less cars so far this year compared to last. I was just trying to point out that I don't think making better cars is going to help Mazda. They need to market the s*** out of the cx-5 with actual good ads, and provide incentives, maybe increase the warranty, basically anything else to help sell the great CUVs they already have.

In the UK CX-5 is no longer a bargain buy, Mazda's attempt to move upmarket IMO will fail unless in the UK they offer more powerful engines, we still only see a 2L petrol in the UK, now if a 2.5T was offered with a more modern dash display which is configurable along with a weight lost, then I would be back in the market.

The car also needs an extra gear or two for the auto to compete.
Its a mystery to me why the cx-5 is the top Australian seller, perhaps one of the few Aussies that have been on this site in the past could offer a reason?

Back