Pick Up Reserve tommorrow....

I've hit the button to shut off the car and come back to it hours later with the engine running. You really need to press it fully and then watch the tach drop to zero because it idles so quietly

If I leave my car running, and get out with the fob in my pocket, it starts to beep at me, quite loudly I might add.
There's no way you can exit the car with it running and not get some kind of warning.

We're moving closer and closer to a paperless world. The manuals that come with my cars sit in a dusty box in the corner of the storage room. I find the online manual (or the downloadable PDF copy) much easier to navigate and search through.

I'm the exact same way. The only time I'll crack open the paper manual is when I'm following some type of procedure where I need instructions there at the car. But I'll locate and preview those instructions on the PDF.

I'm that way with everything I own...I get questions answered via the PDF, and use the paper for procedures unless the object can be brought to the computer. I just took a look in the folder where I save manuals, guides and other instructional stuff. There are 192 files.

If I leave my car running, and get out with the fob in my pocket, it starts to beep at me, quite loudly I might add.
There's no way you can exit the car with it running and not get some kind of warning.

I recently turned on the walk-away feature. I really like it.

If you want to do stuff around the car while it's running and not get the warning, just leave the driver's door open. I don't know if that's an optional setting or if it's non-modifiable.

Coming from a career in the document print business (Xerox), I've been hearing that line for 40 years. Made me laugh.

My last job was as an internal business guy for a medium ($5 billion) government contractor. I created a paperless Subcontractor Management System for them. Everything from RFQs to Requisitions to Contract Signatures to Government Audit Files was paperless. 100%. It got a lot of accolades and was quite efficient on so many levels.

But in general I agree with you. Paperless might become more of a reality when this generation flushes through. If I'm reviewing a contract, I got my highlighter and red pen out.

Coming from a career in the document print business (Xerox), I've been hearing that line for 40 years. Made me laugh.

When my company moved a few years ago, they used Xerox as the relocation company for us employees. I just assumed Xerox saw the light and changed direction. Are they still in the copy business, too?

Exactly. The "paperless office" was just around the corner in the 80s. Just ask the paper companies how they're doing.

Dalmore 21

Is that the Port Wood one?

EDIT: Ah, just looked it up. Looks tasty. Big fan of sherried scotch myself.

Well ended up changing my mind and was going to grab a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12, but they were out, so ended up with some Talisker.

Last edited:
When my company moved a few years ago, they used Xerox as the relocation company for us employees. I just assumed Xerox saw the light and changed direction. Are they still in the copy business, too?

I used to work for Xerox a few years ago, but they were trying their hand at managed IT services. It was spotty at best, benefits were crappy, and they furloughed employees every year for a week. I think since I left, they had offloaded the managed services to another company. They had originally acquired that segment when they picked up Affiliated Computer Services.

Paper isn't going away. The amount of people around me that print emails, among other things at the office is staggering.

Is that the Port Wood one?

EDIT: Ah, just looked it up. Looks tasty. Big fan of sherried scotch myself.

Well ended up changing my mind and was going to grab a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12, but they were out, so ended up with some Talisker.

Received as a gift. Could not afford it otherwise. It's very pricey and I mean pricey.

Paper isn't going away. The amount of people around me that print emails, among other things at the office is staggering.

I work in a remote office for a 25billion dollar software company. We just moved into a new office space and they removed half the printers even though our space can hold 3 times more people. Like myself, most of my coworkers are under 35, and no one prints, and when people do print, its usually because they dont have a printer at home and are printing something personal.

Like myself, most of my coworkers are under 35, and no one prints

There's the main driver.

But I wonder what your younger contracts-type folks do. I always struggled to do a proper review on a monitor.

There's the main driver.

But I wonder what your younger contracts-type folks do. I always struggled to do a proper review on a monitor.

I think it depends on what you were brought up on. If you started with books, paper you are probably more comfortable doing that. I know it's a lot easier manipulating a book than a kindle. Try reading a technical manual on-line. It's just not the same.
Another downside is kids are needing glasses a lot sooner than they did in the past. Plenty of kids in their early teens losing their sight already.

My last job was as an internal business guy for a medium ($5 billion) government contractor. I created a paperless Subcontractor Management System for them. Everything from RFQs to Requisitions to Contract Signatures to Government Audit Files was paperless. 100%. It got a lot of accolades and was quite efficient on so many levels.

But in general I agree with you. Paperless might become more of a reality when this generation flushes through. If I'm reviewing a contract, I got my highlighter and red pen out.

Exactly. The "paperless office" was just around the corner in the 80s. Just ask the paper companies how they're doing.

Jesus. I said we are moving closer and closer to a paperless world, I didn't say we are living in a paperless world or that it's right around the corner.

I write manuals for a living, so I'd know just as well as any of you how close the "paperless office" is. You cannot argue with the fact that paper usage in any modern office has been reduced a significant amount. That's all I meant by my post, then Buzzman12 took it and ran away with it. Paper will never go away completely, but soon enough the manuals that come in cars will be replaced by "Quick Start Guides" that are less than 40 pages long and include a reference to a website that hosts an electronic copy (that is always up to date).

They probably use iPads or Surface Pros or some other type of tablet with a stylus.

As I have often observed, the only places that are truly paperless are public bathrooms.

Back