Pick Up Reserve tommorrow....

My salesguy said he was told to hold the Start button down fully, rather than just punch it...it's supposed to make sure the electronics fully load. But he's a salesguy, probably trying to head off a complaint about the system not always loading properly (mostly XM fail-to-load issues).

That's for sure. I've hit the button to shut off the car and come back to it hours later with the engine running. You really need to press it fully and then watch the tach drop to zero because it idles so quietly

My salesguy said he was told to hold the Start button down fully, rather than just punch it...it's supposed to make sure the electronics fully load. But he's a salesguy, probably trying to head off a complaint about the system not always loading properly (mostly XM fail-to-load issues).

That's for sure. I've hit the button to shut off the car and come back to it hours later with the engine running. You really need to press it fully and then watch the tach drop to zero because it idles so quietly

Wow, that's quite odd. I always just "punch" the Start/Stop button to start/stop the car, works perfectly fine every time in my CX-9.

Could be, but people have been complaining for a long time, and haven't heard of a fix.

It could also be that the sensor and/or the software just isn't good enough.

I wonder if it's also a case of people grumbling about it but not heading to the dealer to have it checked out, or not fighting hard enough to get the dealer to do something. Some (most) dealers will give BS answers in the hope that the person gives up and rolls over on it. Something like the rain-sensing feature is so easy to write off because it's a feature that nobody really needs, so everyone is quick to say "oh well, seems like it happens to a lot of other people, it's just rain-sensing, I'll just live with it".

Dealers are supposed to re-calibrate some sensors if a windshield needs to be replaced. I would assume that the rain sensing sensor is also re-calibrated at that time, but I don't know for sure.

Do you (or anyone else) know the part numbers for these? I can't find it on online Mazda parts finders (https://www.jimellismazdaatlanta.com/online-parts-ordering.htm) or Amazon.

Sure, here they are:

Front KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

You can buy the full set ($64 USD) from an online seller here (mazdaparts.org), or you can price out the hooks at your local dealership.

Could be, but people have been complaining for a long time, and haven't heard of a fix.

It could also be that the sensor and/or the software just isn't good enough.

Doesn't matter to me since I prefer manual control.

How does yours work for you?

It works perfectly fine. I just needed to adjust the sensitivity to my liking. The one in my Jeep did work better. It was near telepathic. However, to call the one in my CX5 problematic or bothersome would be in error.

Doesn't your fob start beeping like crazy when you walk away from a running car? I know mine does.

Uh. I thought we all figured out those hooks are absolutely not to be used for towing?!?!?! Those are for shipping only. Do not buy those. Certainly do not tow your vehicle with them.

Towing hooks or eyes should really be called recovery hooks - they're not good for much more than winching the car out of a ditch or onto a rollback.

I don't have the auto-sensing feature turned on because I don't want my wiper blades to drag across a dry (or barely moist), gritty windshield just because a drop of rain hit them.

If there's a light rain I want to get rid of, I hit the washer fluid first.

Towing hooks or eyes should really be called recovery hooks - they're not good for much more than winching the car out of a ditch or onto a rollback.

Isn't that what everyone calls them/uses them for? I was unaware anyone used them for anything other than rescue or a very low speed tow off of an AutoX/Drag strip.

I've never heard them called recovery hooks. Hell, I bet 90% of people see them in the spare tire well and say 'what's that?'

I don't have the auto-sensing feature turned on because I don't want my wiper blades to drag across a dry (or barely moist), gritty windshield just because a drop of rain hit them.

If there's a light rain I want to get rid of, I hit the washer fluid first.

mine never activate with such little moisture

Exactly. They work for some, too sensitive for some, too insensitive for others, too fast, too slow.... I hadn't heard about them not shutting off quick enough.

from manual:
The sensitivity of the rain sensor can be
adjusted by turning the switch on the
wiper lever.
From the center position (normal), rotate
the switch upward for higher sensitivity
(faster response) or rotate it downward for
less sensitivity (slower response).

from manual:
wiper lever.
The whole purpose to have a sensitivity adjustment is just for that. And it suits different needs from different people. But the sensitivity adjustment on my CX-5 is not effective at all, almost useless as it doesn't do anything for sensitivity adjustment. Apparently Mazda picked a cheap rain-sensing wiper system which is performing very poorly.

On the contrary, the rain-sensing wipers on my 2000 BMW 528i are working perfectly and precisely with sensitivity adjustment. And this's from almost 20-year-old technology!

from manual:
wiper lever.

That's the point, it can be "adjusted", but on some [like mine] it's never even close to "right", or even useful.

Uh. I thought we all figured out those hooks are absolutely not to be used for towing?!?!?! Those are for shipping only. Do not buy those. Certainly do not tow your vehicle with them.

The part numbers listed are actual tow/recovery "hooks" or eyelets. The parts you're confusing these with are the shipping eyelets. Mazda stopped leaving them in the trunks of the cars that leave their dealer lots in 2014 or something. They look very similar to the tow/recovery eyelets.

I've never heard them called recovery hooks. Hell, I bet 90% of people see them in the spare tire well and say 'what's that?'

Those aren't the same as the tow/recovery hooks. Mazda stopped leaving the shipping eyelets with the cars back in 2014, because people were using the shipping eyelets for tow/recovery purposes and damaging their vehicles. If your car is a 2014 or newer and it came with those eyelets in the trunk, bring them to your dealer to make sure they are the tow/recovery eyelets and not the shipping eyelets.

The whole purpose to have a sensitivity adjustment is just for that. And it suits different needs from different people. But the sensitivity adjustment on my CX-5 is not effective at all, almost useless as it doesn't do anything for sensitivity adjustment. Apparently Mazda picked a cheap rain-sensing wiper system which is performing very poorly.

That's the point, it can be "adjusted", but on some [like mine] it's never even close to "right", or even useful.

When you guys brought this issue up with the dealer/Mazda, did they confirm or deny that a recalibration could be performed for the rain sensing feature?

Last edited:
Congrats you*ll love it. I disabled the wipers cause for me it was too sensitive even on the lowest setting.
The directional headlights have some sort of vibration sometimes but i guess its normal in systems like those.
The HUD disappears while using some sunglasses.

None of this matter to me so check yourself what you like and what not.

When you guys brought this issue up with the dealer/Mazda, did they confirm or deny that a recalibration could be performed for the rain sensing feature?

I wouldn't waste time asking about a feature that I wouldn't use in any case.

If you're curious, why don't you ask your dealer and report back here?

I wouldn't waste time asking about a feature that I wouldn't use in any case.

If you're curious, why don't you ask your dealer and report back here?

If you wouldn't use it in any case, what's the point in complaining about it? If you argue that it's good for others to know about, I agree, but then I'd counter that it would also be good for others to know what your dealer said about the issue. As someone experiencing the issue first-hand, you've got more incentive to press the issue than I do.

I am curious, but since I don't own a Mazda with the rain sensing issues people are complaining about, I'm not that invested in figuring it out. If I was experiencing the issue, I would have brought the issue up with the dealer long ago.

Back