Pick Up Reserve tommorrow....

Pick Up Reserve tommorrow.... Reply to Thread

When you guys brought this issue up with the dealer/Mazda, did they confirm or deny that a recalibration could be performed for the rain sensing feature?
I did check Mazda Workshop Manual when I was replacing hail-damaged windshield, no, there's no such calibration for sensibility on rain sensing wipers.

Simple test to me, I turned the sensibility adjustment wheel to most sensitive and least sensitive positions, no change on wiper behavior. The rain-sensing wipers seem to have their own mind.

Several friends of mine who took my recommendation to get the CX-5, their rain-sensing wipers are all like mine. Just a cheap system.

If you wouldn't use it in any case, what's the point in complaining about it? If you argue that it's good for others to know about, I agree, but then I'd counter that it would also be good for others to know what your dealer said about the issue. As someone experiencing the issue first-hand, you've got more incentive to press the issue than I do.

I am curious, but since I don't own a Mazda with the rain sensing issues people are complaining about, I'm not that invested in figuring it out. If I was experiencing the issue, I would have brought the issue up with the dealer long ago.

I'm sharing my experience with others. That's what the forum is for. No need for you to be concerned, or to complain about it.

If you just want to argue or throw shade, that's your problem. Look elsewhere.

The whole purpose to have a sensitivity adjustment is just for that. And it suits different needs from different people. But the sensitivity adjustment on my CX-5 is not effective at all, almost useless as it doesn't do anything for sensitivity adjustment. Apparently Mazda picked a cheap rain-sensing wiper system which is performing very poorly.

On the contrary, the rain-sensing wipers on my 2000 BMW 528i are working perfectly and precisely with sensitivity adjustment. And this's from almost 20-year-old technology!

Can confirm. Sensitivity is what it is. Rotary selector is emotional crutch, not actual adjustment selector.

Please check your oil level in the morning and report us back *. :)

Will do. It's sitting in the garage, it's hot and the garage is hot. I'll check in the morning after it's sat all night and let you know.
I'm going to check tire pressure too.

Please check your oil level in the morning and report us back . :)

Checked oil and tires this morning. Oil right at the full level, all tires 36psi. Everything looks good.

Is there an easy way to fold the mirrors in while the car is still running? I'm worried about my wife pulling into the garage and taking one off.

Checked oil and tires this morning. Oil right at the full level, all tires 36psi. Everything looks good.

Is there an easy way to fold the mirrors in while the car is still running? I'm worried about my wife pulling into the garage and taking one off.

Try spinning the L/R toggle 180 degrees so its facing backwards.

Looks like your dealer has done a proper job for pre-delivery inspection. Thats good to know.

Like banjos-n-beer said, you turn the power outside mirror control knob 180 to power folding mirror icon anytime you want to fold your outside mirrors.

I did mean power folding outside rear view mirrors. People here in Taipei fold outside rear view mirrors almost all the time while the car is parked to prevent other cars hitting these mirrors too easily as the street is narrow and the space for parking is tight.

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1302%252520-%252520%252520Power%252520Folding%252520Outside%252520Rear%252520View%252520Mirror.jpg

Wow, that's quite odd. I always just "punch" the Start/Stop button to start/stop the car, works perfectly fine every time in my CX-9.

I wonder if it's also a case of people grumbling about it but not heading to the dealer to have it checked out, or not fighting hard enough to get the dealer to do something. Some (most) dealers will give BS answers in the hope that the person gives up and rolls over on it. Something like the rain-sensing feature is so easy to write off because it's a feature that nobody really needs, so everyone is quick to say "oh well, seems like it happens to a lot of other people, it's just rain-sensing, I'll just live with it".

Dealers are supposed to re-calibrate some sensors if a windshield needs to be replaced. I would assume that the rain sensing sensor is also re-calibrated at that time, but I don't know for sure.

Sure, here they are:

Front KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

You can buy the full set ($64 USD) from an online seller here (mazdaparts.org), or you can price out the hooks at your local dealership.

Thanks! Ordered both. Local dealer had best price at $56 for the set.

Also picked up OEM All weather mats and OEM Cargo Mat (which weighs in at 10 pounds). They're reasonably priced compared to the Weathertech or Husky liners, ~90 shipped each online.

Last edited:
Cost cutting to the extreme *

We're moving closer and closer to a paperless world. The manuals that come with my cars sit in a dusty box in the corner of the storage room. I find the online manual (or the downloadable PDF copy) much easier to navigate and search through.

We're moving closer and closer to a paperless world. The manuals that come with my cars sit in a dusty box in the corner of the storage room. I find the online manual (or the downloadable PDF copy) much easier to navigate and search through.

Yeah, I like to curl up with a manual and a nice single malt scotch at night.

...which tells me Mazda nailed it. You're not doing it right until both extremes b**** at you.

Yeah, they probably nailed it for 80% of drivers, but why not allow more adjustment for us other 20%? Would make no difference to the 80% but would make me significantly happier.

That's for sure. I've hit the button to shut off the car and come back to it hours later with the engine running. You really need to press it fully and then watch the tach drop to zero because it idles so quietly

That is really strange. The engine is quiet but it isn't that quiet.

Back