Siri always brings up Apple maps instead of Google maps

:
2019 CX5 GT-R
Hello All
In my 2019 CX5 GT, when i use Siri its always brings up Apple maps instead of Google maps. I have moved Apple maps to second screen and Google maps is on the home page.
Anyone experienced the same issue and anything we can do to make Google maps default when using Carplay ?

Please advise

Hello All
In my 2019 CX5 GT, when i use Siri its always brings up Apple maps instead of Google maps. I have moved Apple maps to second screen and Google maps is on the home page.
Anyone experienced the same issue and anything we can do to make Google maps default when using Carplay ?

Please advise

That's because you're in the "Apple Ecosphere" when using Carplay on iOS.

If you ask Siri for directions on your iPhone separately, she'll pass you through to Apple Maps as well.

No way around it my friend.

There's a workaround that I use that adds only a bit of extra effort:

Ensure in the Privacy settings on your phone for the Microphone that the Google Maps app can access it. If you already use your voice successfully with Google Maps, this setting is already properly set.

In the car, evoke Siri by using the Hey Siri command (also something you might have to activate on the phone, if not already set) and then use the voice command "Open Google Maps".

Hit or select the microphone icon currently in the lower right in the Google Maps app in CarPlay (tapping the screen or hitting the Command knob may be needed to bring it up again if it has already gone away).

Speak your destination, and then either select the correct option or then select Go.

There's a workaround that I use that adds only a bit of extra effort:

Ensure in the Privacy settings on your phone for the Microphone that the Google Maps app can access it. If you already use your voice successfully with Google Maps, this setting is already properly set.

In the car, evoke Siri by using the Hey Siri command (also something you might have to activate on the phone, if not already set) and then use the voice command "Open Google Maps".

Hit or select the microphone icon currently in the lower right in the Google Maps app in CarPlay (tapping the screen or hitting the Command knob may be needed to bring it up again if it has already gone away).

Speak your destination, and then either select the correct option or then select Go.

I liked this idea. Cool. Thanks

I know with iOS 13 beta, via Siri, you can say something like Navigate to Pizza using Google Maps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Lol at the Apple haters... you can indeed say "navigate to X in Google Maps" (works in iOS13, not sure about older iOS versions).

Back