Backup Camera

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Does the backup camera include any audible warning as you approach objects when backing up? Also I've seen negative criticism of it on YouTube videos. What's the concensus here?

The camera doesn't, but if you have proximity sensors, they do. Only on the sig??

I have a Reserve and get an audible warning then things are approaching from either side as I back up (Rear Cross Traffic Alert).

Those same sensors are also used for Blind Spot Monitoring.

I never really noticed a sound when backing into something, but I haven't paid attention.

This is from the manual regarding parking sensors (standard on the Signature, right?), which are different from the rear sensors:
The parking sensors use ultrasonic sensors which detect obstructions around the vehicle when the vehicle is driven at low speeds, such as during garage or parallel parking, and a buzzer sound and detection indicator notify the driver of the approximate distance from the vehicle to the surrounding obstruction.

Last edited:
Thank you. Sounds like the Signature has*something of the sort then. *

The front and rears sensors are standard on the Signature. The rear sensor can be added as an option for other trims (I have a reserve that has rear sensor)

Do the higher trims come with trajectory? The base model does not. Really surprising omission. It could easily have been included, it's a matter of calculating steering angle, measuring/testing, and displaying the relevant angle. In fact, the straight lines are misleading unless you have your steering wheel pointed completely straight. Minor annoyance.

Last edited:
Do the higher trims come with trajectory? The base model does not. Really surprising omission. It could easily have been included, it's a matter of calculating steering angle, measuring/testing, and displaying the relevant angle. In fact, the straight lines are misleading unless you have your steering wheel pointed completely straight. Minor annoyance.

No, but you get used to the straight lines. It's still better'n nothin'.

Ha, I figured... Luxury brands have had it for almost a decade. This could even be a software update, but that ain't happening!

Not trying to defend Mazda...but I'm just glad I have power steering, an auto, and a backup camera. Parallel parking a manual 1990 Honda CRX with hydraulic steering gave my strong arms :)

my sport has a audible warning when backing up if someone or thing
crosses line of sight........

That*s the rear cross traffic alert. It detects moving objects crossing your path behind you. It doesn*t detect stationary objects behind you like a parked car or a wall. You need the parking sensors for that.

Once you are used to the trajectory feature, which tells you exactly where you are going to place your vehicle, it is surprising to see it left out. Really helps with avoiding curbing your wheels, just have to take extra care now. Or fit 235/65/17s.

My daughter*s Hyundai Sonata has the trajectory lines...really helpful. I wonder if that is a software generated feature that Mazda could add during an update?

My daughter*s Hyundai Sonata has the trajectory lines...really helpful. I wonder if that is a software generated feature that Mazda could add during an update?
Trajectory lines from back-up camera on CX-5 are available in other regions for many years. Mazda just chose not to offer this feature to US customers. And I don*t believe you can add this feature by a software update as it*s a integrated system with infotainment system and front / rear parking sensors.

Here're factory integrated Front and Rear Parking Sensors and Back-up Camera with static blue guidelines and dynamic yellow trajectory guidelines on a Euro CX-5.

The front sensors are integrated into the rear camera so it generates an image of the front and back sensors on the screen that drops out at about 3mph. Cars with HID headlights must have headlamp washers but not LEDs, don't ask me why!
The parking sensors show up on the rear camera screen too but no headlight washers and no rear camera washer as you can see!

IMG_2821_zpsssibhuhb.jpg
The front sensors come on automatically immediately after having reversed OR they can be manually operated from a button on the dash. When you drive off they go off at about 5mph or you can push the switch again.

My 2019 touring has cross traffic alert but no alert for simply backing into things.

The camera is better than all others I've seen and I've used quite a lot in rental cars. Because of this, it surprised me when I saw one reviewer say the camera was low resolution.

My 2019 touring has cross traffic alert but no alert for simply backing into things.

The camera is better than all others I've seen and I've used quite a lot in rental cars. Because of this, it surprised me when I saw one reviewer say the camera was low resolution.

During the day the resolution is great. At night it gets washed out because of the back-up lights. They're bright and wash out the resolution. Such is life.

I think Trajectory lines are over rated. But y'know who does backup cameras best with regards to lines? Keep. You can use straight or bendy 9r even both.
Re: resolution. I've never understood people complaining about this. It's fine. Upping the color and contrast helps make it prettier, too.

Back