Mazda's 1'st Electric Vehicle - Looks like a CX-5

When you don't have a dealer service department network, you kinda gotta dispatch techs.

True, but mobile tech service could have been implemented a long time ago. Lexus, BMW, MB all had the opportunity to pioneer this concept, but Tesla actually implemented it (even if it was only because they needed it). I wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturers started doing the same thing, even with their extensive service department networks in place. In fact, an existing service department network should make mobile service even more efficient than Tesla.

I've been hearing about Tesla from coworkers for a couple years now (one has had his model 3 for about a year now), but I am old school (warming up to full electric) so Tesla has not been on my personal radar. This thread had me looking a little deeper into the quality/reliability issues a bit deeper. I was lurking on a Tesla forum the other day checking out owners thoughts and while some mentioned various issues all said that Tesla took care of those including drive units. What was interesting I thought was that all stated they loved their Tesla despite having to take it in for repair. To me that is interesting because I despise going to a dealership or having any issues with cars. If I have to go to the dealer for a repair I won't get that brand again. So far 2 Mazda cars and zero issues...touch wood.

My coworker with the model 3 loves his. No problem with it so far and before the 3 he had a great looking 4 series BMW that was constantly having major issues with a lot of repair costs.

Go to a Jeep forum. Everyone talks about how much they love their broken down trash.

"It has character".

Also, nah, Tesla ain't doing people right. Not at all.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/main-and-dash-screen-failure.131124/
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/centre-screen-failure

and in general, look at their forums. Sure, we gripe about windshield wipers...they gripe about unintended acceleration problems.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sudden-unexpected-acceleration-today.114650/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-3.137/

Today while out for shopping my wife met with an accident in the parking lot of a grocery store here in Chandler, AZ. She is badly shaken up. Issue occurred while trying to park the vehicle in a parking lot of a grocery store. The vehicle was in the parking space position when it suddenly accelerated without any input from her. She said she applied the brakes, however they felt inoperative. It felt as though the driver had no control over braking and the vehicle had a mind of its own.
image1-jpeg.298881

What if a person, or even worse, someone's dog were in front of the car and that happened?

Tesla has cool ideas and concepts, but it's just not there. Buy at your own risk.

Last edited:
Go to a Jeep forum. Everyone talks about how much they love their broken down trash.

"It has character".

Yeh, that's an interesting behaviour that many people exhibit.

Their town/spouse/car may suck, but they'll defend them to the death. It's a know thing that when you ask someone how they like their car, you take their response with a grain of salt. It's a combination of loyalty and of not wanting to admit making a mistake.

Heck, when I was car shopping and started a thread asking how folks like their CX-5, people gushed.
Then you read the daily threads, and people whine.
It's the same observation you made about Jeep owners...or Jag owners...or BMW owners.

True, but mobile tech service could have been implemented a long time ago. Lexus, BMW, MB all had the opportunity to pioneer this concept, but Tesla actually implemented it (even if it was only because they needed it). I wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturers started doing the same thing, even with their extensive service department networks in place. In fact, an existing service department network should make mobile service even more efficient than Tesla.

Your comment made me go to AAA to see if they offered a service for folks whose electric cars "ran out of gas," so to speak.

They don't. I wonder when someone's gonna fill this need.

Yeh, that's an interesting behaviour that many people exhibit.

Their town/spouse/car may suck, but they'll defend them to the death. It's a know thing that when you ask someone how they like their car, you take their response with a grain of salt. It's a combination of loyalty and of not wanting to admit making a mistake.

Heck, when I was car shopping and started a thread asking how folks like their CX-5, people gushed.
Then you read the daily threads, and people whine.
It's the same observation you made about Jeep owners...or Jag owners...or BMW owners.
If I think it sucks, I don't care what I paid or how I felt previously, my opinion is then that it sucks, and I will share that, lol!

If I think it sucks, I don't care what I paid or how I felt previously, my opinion is then that it sucks, and I will share that, lol!

I'm the same way.

There's enough people out there who lie to me without me doing it to myself.

I feel the same way and have some brand favorites, but that is totally different that brand loyalty IMO. The moment I am not happy I will voice my opinion and may switch brands. Why not voice our displeasure about certain things, such as, a super small crappy infotainment screen or subpar paint on a "premium" vehicle. It may or may not be a factor when ultimately deciding on the purchase, but if I own something and a potential buyer asks my opinion I am going to be as straight with them as I can - good or bad.

Here's an example Uno style: why would I buy a $1000 Kimber 1911 and send it back for another $500 of gunsmith work because it is known to be unreliable out the box as a daily carry and could potentially cost your life?
That might get someone stirred up. :)

I feel the same way. Sometimes I'm like:
Hey! This weed is full of chemis and tastes like Band Aids. Bust out those organic Gelato nugs and by the way clean your filthy bong water!

Here's an example Uno style: why would I buy a $1000 Kimber 1911 and send it back for another $500 of gunsmith work because it is known to be unreliable out the box as a daily carry and could potentially cost your life?
That might get someone stirred up. :)

Oh no you didn't!

I guess I shouldn't talk about that Tanfoglio I love ;)

haha :):) I kid of course. I have several 1911's that I wouldn't carry but love em at the range.

I've owned a Baer trs and Wilson supergrade. I no longer do. They failed to impress me and I now have M&Ps and one p226 elite st that GGI touched up for me. It shoots 1.17"@25y, never has had a malfunction, holds nearly twice the rounds, etc.

Long guns? If it's a shotgun, it's a Benelli, if it's an AR, it's a Hodge Defense. If it's an optic, its nightforce or aimpoint. If it's a suppressor, its Surefire. If it's a light, its surefire or modlite. Sure, I own other stuff too, but its "fun gun" status.

That said, the paint on my Mazda isnt amazing, but it also isnt going to fail to get me home. Different priorities for different aspects.

Last edited:
I now have M&Ps and one p226 elite st that GGI touched up for me. It shoots 1.17"@25y, never has had a malfunction, holds nearly twice the rounds, etc.

Sigs are accurate right out of the box.

Interesting story: Years ago a friend bought his wife a Walther...it was either a 22 or a 380. We were at the range and it kept key-holing targets. When we finished, we tore the thing down and saw that the barrel hadn't been rifled!!! Never seen that before or since.

Regarding automobile paint...if durability is a priority, buy a German car.

Sigs are accurate right out of the box.

Interesting story: Years ago a friend bought his wife a Walther...it was either a 22 or a 380. We were at the range and it kept key-holing targets. When we finished, we tore the thing down and saw that the barrel hadn't been rifled!!! Never seen that before or since.

Regarding automobile paint...if durability is a priority, buy a German car.

My GM products have honestly had pretty solid paint.

I've owned a Baer trs and Wilson supergrade. I no longer do. They failed to impress me and I now have M&Ps and one p226 elite st that GGI touched up for me. It shoots 1.17"@25y, never has had a malfunction, holds nearly twice the rounds, etc.

Long guns? If it's a shotgun, it's a Benelli, if it's an AR, it's a Hodge Defense. If it's an optic, its nightforce or aimpoint. If it's a suppressor, its Surefire. If it's a light, its surefire or modlite. Sure, I own other stuff too, but its "fun gun" status.

That said, the paint on my Mazda isnt amazing, but it also isnt going to fail to get me home. Different priorities for different aspects.

I'm a Glock guy. They fit in my hands well, the grip stays put, and I can shoot it straight and true. Wouldn't mind getting a Sig one of these days though.

I tried the M&P's and I couldn't hold as well of a grip on them, but otherwise a nice firearm. Hated the XDs when I tried them, so Glock it was.

Last edited:
I'm a Glock guy. They fit in my hands well, the grip stays put, and I can shoot it straight and true. Wouldn't mind getting a Sig one of these days though.

I tried the M&P's and I couldn't hold as well of a grip on them, but otherwise a nice firearm. Hated the XDs when I tried them, so Glock it was.

The sig is more of a range piece, I don't carry it. Personally, I am not a SIG fan, overall. I much prefer other brands. Just so happens that this was a "good" one, so I sent it to Bruce and he worked a few details into it more to my liking. (QPQ'ed the whole thing, fluffed and buffed the trigger, put in a better takedown lever, that sort of thing. The barrel and lockup were not touched, other than to be QPQ'ed). Mine is a bit of a freak, shooting as well as most X5's.

For a carry gun? Glock, M&P, HK, they all make viable choices that I'm a fan of. XD though, is cheap junk. Avoid.

Gen 1 M&P's aren't the most accurate. Mine will hold A-zone out to about 20 yards though, and that's good enough for me. I am more accurate with a G19, but I am faster to target with my M&P. I had to make choices. Chose the M&P.

Last edited:
oops....look what I started by joyfully trolling (in humor) the Kimber guys and I say in humor because I would take one and/or buy one if there was a good deal. I have so many brands and I have never kicked one out of the house. I have favorites for collection and I have some that I prefer in use.

I take a shot at Mazda's paint every chance I get, but it has no impact on me buying or keeping a Mazda. It is sufficient and does a decent job, but if by some remote chance like winning the big lottery some guy at Mazda corporate took offense at my constant snarky jabs at their paint and did something......well then......I would be just that much more pleased with Mazda. By the way our new Honda has much better paint on it than previous Honda's that we have owned so it seems like they bumped it up a notch or two. Not German paint quality, but still pretty decent.

I do occasional cycling reviews on my blog and on some forums. On a particular cycling product coming to market they made claim of it being "gold standard". I among a number of others paid over $1K and then when we began to see the resulting data from it we realized quickly it was not even close to Gold Standard. Being that there were a bunch of us pissed we made it well known on forums and I began to show the faulty data as tested on my blog. It went on for a number of weeks on a forum where this manufacturer was advertising and continuing to defend the Gold Standard slogan. Now you have hundreds of potential buyers seeing this publicized and getting cold feet by forum and blog review posts. The owner of the company was livid as he posted a rant on my blog in response and other places about the less than accurate data from this product. Guess what happened? He reluctantly got his team to work on and release some firmware updates that got the product much closer to the accuracy we expected when we shelled out $1K for what we expected to be true. What I find is if you say nothing and go on they will take your money and never improve their products if they do not have other competitors to push them to make changes.

So I am going to make comments about the paint (and potentially other things), but not because I am angry with Mazda. I would like to see them improve. Others are going to make comments about diesels or cylinder deactivation or other things. And why not? Sometimes we, as a collective voice, can make a difference and get a product that we like get the improvements that we want. It may be rare, but sometimes manufactures listen to customers. Like Garmin usually doesn't give a crap what anyone says. They have so much of the market that they rarely address the issues. I think Garmin is like, "you will buy our product because what choice do you have?" Kind of like cable TV has that attitude even as they are losing tons of customers to streaming they remain absolutely prideful and stubborn about charging $300 a month for cable TV. (edit: good grief I almost forgot that about 25+ years ago cable TV was FREE)

Overall I am very content with my CX-5 that I bought in 2013 with now 80K mileage. I plan to keep it another 2 years and keep banking money. So far no mechanical issues and it has been very dependable.

Cmon Mazda......Give me some German level paint. Had to end this long winded ramble with that :)

Last edited:
oops....look what I started by joyfully trolling (in humor) the Kimber guys and I say in humor because I would take one and/or buy one if there was a good deal. I have so many brands and I have never kicked one out of the house. I have favorites for collection and I have some that I prefer in use.

I take a shot at Mazda's paint every chance I get, but it has no impact on me buying or keeping a Mazda. It is sufficient and does a decent job, but if by some remote chance like winning the big lottery some guy at Mazda corporate took offense at my constant snarky jabs at their paint and did something......well then......I would be just that much more pleased with Mazda. By the way our new Honda has much better paint on it than previous Honda's that we have owned so it seems like they bumped it up a notch or two. Not German paint quality, but still pretty decent.

I do occasional cycling reviews on my blog and on some forums. On a particular cycling product coming to market they made claim of it being "gold standard". I among a number of others paid over $1K and then when we began to see the resulting data from it we realized quickly it was not even close to Gold Standard. Being that there were a bunch of us pissed we made it well known on forums and I began to show the faulty data as tested on my blog. It went on for a number of weeks on a forum where this manufacturer was advertising and continuing to defend the Gold Standard slogan. Now you have hundreds of potential buyers seeing this publicized and getting cold feet by forum and blog review posts. The owner of the company was livid as he posted a rant on my blog in response and other places about the less than accurate data from this product. Guess what happened? He reluctantly got his team to work on and release some firmware updates that got the product much closer to the accuracy we expected when we shelled out $1K for what we expected to be true. What I find is if you say nothing and go on they will take your money and never improve their products if they do not have other competitors to push them to make changes.

So I am going to make comments about the paint (and potentially other things), but not because I am angry with Mazda. I would like to see them improve. Others are going to make comments about diesels or cylinder deactivation or other things. And why not? Sometimes we, as a collective voice, can make a difference and get a product that we like get the improvements that we want. It may be rare, but sometimes manufactures listen to customers. Like Garmin usually doesn't give a crap what anyone says. They have so much of the market that they rarely address the issues. I think Garmin is like, "you will buy our product because what choice do you have?" Kind of like cable TV has that attitude even as they are losing tons of customers to streaming they remain absolutely prideful and stubborn about charging $300 a month for cable TV. (edit: good grief I almost forgot that about 25+ years ago cable TV was FREE)

Overall I am very content with my CX-5 that I bought in 2013 with now 80K mileage. I plan to keep it another 2 years and keep banking money. So far no mechanical issues and it has been very dependable.

Cmon Mazda......Give me some German level paint. Had to end this long winded ramble with that :)

Be careful though, because sometimes it doesn't go like that...

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/3...rew-tuohy-and-everett-baker-in-federal-court/

Sometimes you just get the hell sued out of you. I do have, from the above lawsuit, the absolute JOY of knowing that my snarky comments are forever immortalized in Federal court records, however, rofl!

The sig is more of a range piece, I don't carry it. Personally, I am not a SIG fan, overall. I much prefer other brands. Just so happens that this was a "good" one, so I sent it to Bruce and he worked a few details into it more to my liking. (QPQ'ed the whole thing, fluffed and buffed the trigger, put in a better takedown lever, that sort of thing. The barrel and lockup were not touched, other than to be QPQ'ed). Mine is a bit of a freak, shooting as well as most X5's.

For a carry gun? Glock, M&P, HK, they all make viable choices that I'm a fan of. XD though, is cheap junk. Avoid.

Gen 1 M&P's aren't the most accurate. Mine will hold A-zone out to about 20 yards though, and that's good enough for me. I am more accurate with a G19, but I am faster to target with my M&P. I had to make choices. Chose the M&P.

Yeah my Glocks would always be a carry gun. Love shooting my G17 and the G26 works well enough, but still need to grab a G19.

Something heavier would be a range gun for sure. Haven't decided what though.

I actually probably have some other firearms I need to grab before another pistol though.

Back