Mazda's 1'st Electric Vehicle - Looks like a CX-5

Z's are like the honda civic now.. riced and annoying exhaust (vq35 sounds horrible straight pipe)

Interesting, one CX-5 post to start and then the thread immediately details into slagging other cars. Good show!

Interesting, one CX-5 post to start and then the thread immediately details into slagging other cars. Good show!

Many threads are doing the same (deadhorse. Getting back on topic, the example seen is a test mule? So the exact body shape/bulid may be different. Perhaps Mazda does not have the resources but basing an electric car on an existing ICE platform introduces compromises in the design for the the best weight/power ratio as well as other compromises from an engineering standpoint. Hydrogen fuel cells are a dead end (Toyota Mirai anyone?) as fossil fuels are used to convert natural gas to hydrogen so you may as well burn fossil fuels directly in an ICE. It would be nice if the boot (trunk) of the CX30 could have more capacity especially as there will be no fuel tank and exhaust pipe etc. Personally, I'm excited about this development from Mazda as my options will have expanded for buying an electric vehicle in the future for when the UK ban on new ICE cars comes into force in 2032. I hope they can maintain parity on price with ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
Many threads are doing the same (deadhorse. Getting back on topic, the example seen is a test mule? So the exact body shape/bulid may be different. Perhaps Mazda does not have the resources but basing an electric car on an existing ICE platform introduces compromises in the design for the the best weight/power ratio as well as other compromises from an engineering standpoint. Hydrogen fuel cells are a dead end (Toyota Mirai anyone?) as fossil fuels are used to convert natural gas to hydrogen so you may as well burn fossil fuels directly in an ICE. It would be nice if the boot (trunk) could have more capacity especially as there will be no fuel tank and exhaust pipe etc. Personally, I'm excited about this development from Mazda as my options will have expanded for buying an electric vehicle in the future for when the UK ban on new ICE cars comes into force in 2032. I hope they can maintain parity on price with ICE vehicles.

I am sure I'll catch flack for it, but I believe electric vehicles are the future. Battery tech and recharging infrastructure just need refinement and expansion. I'm not even upset about it.

-instant torque
-less to fail
-cheaper to maintain
-cheaper to fuel, especially if you invest in home solar, etc.

I only see downsides in range and charging, which will evolve, I firmly believe.

I only see downsides in range and charging, which will evolve, I firmly believe.

The advances in battery technology that will remediate the range issue shall also remediate the major downside to solar. Both of these huge applications will drive those advances.

I am sure I'll catch flack for it, but I believe electric vehicles are the future. Battery tech and recharging infrastructure just need refinement and expansion. I'm not even upset about it.

-instant torque
-less to fail
-cheaper to maintain

-instant torque
-less to fail
-cheaper to maintain

I agree. Its a pity because if we didnt have to worry about environmental effects, combustion engines are fantastic now. We just need power generation to catch up (and it will). The latest wind turbines churn out 9.5Mw but they will get better in time. So will solar power.

I agree. It*s a pity because if we didn*t have to worry about environmental effects, combustion engines are fantastic now. We just need power generation to catch up (and it will). The latest wind turbines churn out 9.5Mw but they will get better in time. So will solar power.

Electric cars are terrible for the environment, I'm looking at this from a cost/benefit situation.

I have some insider knowledge regarding Tesla and EV's having recently retired from the automotive and alternative energy storage solutions industry. Tesla's recent purchase of Maxwell Technologies was to get the dry battery electrode patents and manufacturing technology along with the ultracapacitor manufacturing supply that Maxwell had developed. Tesla is severing ties with Panasonic. It is expected that the DBE technology will help increase the Tesla's range as much as about 20% within a year, or allow less expensive, lighter and smaller battery packs to be used to give the same range the cars have now.
Aside from the criticisms that Unobtanium posted, many valid, Tesla is so far ahead of the competition that it will be a struggle for others to catch up. They are keeping Maxwell's development out of the hands of other auto makers. And it is likely Musk's goal to become the largest auto battery manufacturer and force others to buy from him if they want more range than the pathetic 100 miles or so that most others are offering.

Last edited:
I have some insider knowledge regarding Tesla and EV's having recently retired from the automotive and alternative energy storage solutions industry. Tesla's recent purchase of Maxwell Technologies was to get the dry battery electrode patents and manufacturing technology along with the ultracapacitor manufacturing supply that Maxwell had developed. Tesla is severing ties with Panasonic. It is expected that the DBE technology will help increase the Tesla's range as much as about 20% within a year, or allow less expensive, lighter and smaller battery packs to be used to give the same range the cars have now.
Aside from the criticisms that Unobtanium posted, many valid, Tesla is so far ahead of the competition that it will be a struggle for others to catch up. They are keeping Maxwell's development out of the hands of other auto makers. And it is likely Musk's goal to become the largest auto battery manufacturer and force others to buy from him if they want more range than the pathetic 100 miles or so that most others are offering.

I won't dispute one bit Tesla has the drive-train in the bag. It's the fact that they have to sell a car around it that is killing them. They are making horrible cars. Great drivetrain though!

I don't get all the Tesla hate. Are their cars perfect? No. Have they made mistakes? Obviously. But they ~16 year old company building a car that no other manufacture can touch for the EV. Pretty impressive.

I don't get all the Tesla hate. Are their cars perfect? No. Have they made mistakes? Obviously. But they ~16 year old company building a car that no other manufacture can touch for the EV. Pretty impressive.

If all you care about is "goes fast", then yeah, they are head and shoulders above. But there's also a reason many people buy Porsche instead of a Charger Hellcat. Quality matters, and it ain't all about speed.

The body looks like new CX-30, not CX-5.

^^^ This

Plus the mention that Mazda's aim was to introduce electrification between CX3 and CX5.... that's the CX30.

If true it's good to see some action.

We have a PHEV Pacifica and LOVE it. I really wanted my next commuter after the CX-5 to be PHEV or BEV but wanted to get some more experience with the technology before going all in. Plus with the deal I got on my 6 Signature I figure I'll let the tech mature a bit more and hit it up next go around in a few years when there's more options available.

Lots on the horizon for electrification. I hope Mazda can enter the game with a competitive offering.

Electric cars are terrible for the environment, I'm looking at this from a cost/benefit situation.
May not be terrible to the environment, but at least not that good like many people believe. IMO, EV basically transfers pollution to the power plant, unfortunately many power plants are not clean. Among electricity generated in the US, About 30% uses dirtiest coal, 34% uses natural gas and 1% uses oil. 65% of electricity is from fire-burning power plants which are CO₂ and many other pollutants major producers and EV is contributing to it!

I agree. Its a pity because if we didnt have to worry about environmental effects, combustion engines are fantastic now. We just need power generation to catch up (and it will). The latest wind turbines churn out 9.5Mw but they will get better in time. So will solar power.
Wind power and solar power have their own problems too. They require large land to operate and therere very few countries can afford that. Some countries have to set up both power generators on the sea which is very expensive and much easier to get damaged by hurricane and typhoon. The low frequency resonate noise from wind turbine blades is the killer and nobody wants to live near by. More importantly, both power generations cant be the base electricity supply as the electricity generated is not stable, many times the peak power generated is at the wrong time, and wrong season.

May not be terrible to the environment, but at least not that good like many people believe. IMO, EV basically transfers pollution to the power plant, unfortunately many power plants are not clean. Among electricity generated in the US, About 30% uses dirtiest coal, 34% uses natural gas and 1% uses oil. 65% of electricity is from fire-burning power plants which are CO* and many other pollutants* major producers and EV is contributing to it!

Exactly. The biggest marketing coup of this century is this idea that electric cars are *green.* The ads are conveniently leaving out the photos of coal plants billowing pollutants, haha.

-instant torque
-less to fail
-cheaper to maintain

I never thought I'd ever say it but I agree with everything you say. (dance):D:D:):)(flash)(flash)(cool)

Back