Mazda's 1'st Electric Vehicle - Looks like a CX-5

Mazda's 1st EV > EVs tech and politics > Tesla and QC/warranty > Paint issues > Guns and lawsuits. lol

'Murica.

A Chevy Volt-ish drivetrain in a RWD wagon / hatch combo based on the Mazda 3 but with more rear legroom would be great. Maybe get a plastic clad uplift version to the mix.

I got bollocked for going off topic when we were talking emissions. At least it was car related but now we*re treated to adults playing at Dirty Harry from an EV thread. No wonder your kids are wiping towns out.

I got bollocked for going off topic when we were talking emissions. At least it was car related but now we*re treated to adults playing at Dirty Harry from an EV thread. No wonder your kids are wiping towns out.

Bah! You're just jelly because your kids cant even legally carry a pocketknife.

Your kids carry guns and knives... It's not the Wild West any longer... Oh wait!... let the duelling banjos commence.

I'd rather carry a weapon than simply hope I was a more capable person than my opponent when someone decides to break into my house/rob me/whatever. I'm a decent size lad with a sense of how to use it, but there are always bigger and meaner. Besides, ultimately, I don't like my government telling me I have the right to defend myself with/only own certain things (yes they still do, sadly, but I'll take the best options I can get). That's why we cut that cord with yours :)

Serious question? You got knives at home, right? Like, 6" knife for slicing veggies, etc? It's hard to tell WHAT is true with the media...

If or when Mazda gets an EV to the market it will be interesting to see what they do because of what they did with the diesel by putting a higher price on the CX-5D over the CX-5T. Which by the way I checked my area on Cargurus 2 weeks ago using a 50 mile radius for the CX-5D and 7 were listed. Checked again this morning and the same 7 are still there. Okay, back to the EV. I probably would not buy a Mazda EV and stick with a CX-5T in 2 years if gas prices are near the same as now.

Kind of like if I was down to wanting an Audi Q5 and I was choosing between and ICE version vs the e-tron that is upward of $77K I would go with the ICE. How much gas could you buy over the span of 10 years driving an average of 12,500 miles per year? I mean you get to a point where the cost offset from the e-tron price (~$1400 a month for 60 months with a loan) compared to the ICE version use comes out to be equal point somewhere at the 10 year mark of ownership doing just very rough math. But that is Audi and Tesla price tag is fairly hefty as well if you don't get the tax breaks and such. If you bought a Nissan Leaf it works out a bit better math wise if you can live with a car that looks like that. The coworker that bought the Tesla 3 is paying close to $1K a month on the loan and he had to get an electrician to setup his garage for charging the battery.

Hopefully Mazda will have it priced more reasonably if they bring one to the market.

When I think of these things it just makes considering a EV more difficult. And the environment claim for those who justify that angle of paying a whole lot more to get EV to save the environment, I work for one of the largest energy and environmental engineering companies in the world. Almost every energy sector we provide consulting for has environmental issues to correct, prevent or rehab. So that angle is not convincing to me personally when I know what is going on to keep the electricity, fuel and batteries generated.

Right now two of the largest mental hurdles for me is the price tag for a half decent looking EV that doesn't look like the Leaf and the driving range. The thought of having to divert from the route to a charging station and spend up to an hour charging would drive me insane.

If or when Mazda gets an EV to the market it will be interesting to see what they do because of what they did with the diesel by putting a higher price on the CX-5D over the CX-5T. Which by the way I checked my area on Cargurus 2 weeks ago using a 50 mile radius for the CX-5D and 7 were listed. Checked again this morning and the same 7 are still there. Okay, back to the EV. I probably would not buy a Mazda EV and stick with a CX-5T in 2 years if gas prices are near the same as now.

Kind of like if I was down to wanting an Audi Q5 and I was choosing between and ICE version vs the e-tron that is upward of $77K I would go with the ICE. How much gas could you buy over the span of 10 years driving an average of 12,500 miles per year? I mean you get to a point where the cost offset from the e-tron price (~$1400 a month for 60 months with a loan) compared to the ICE version use comes out to be equal point somewhere at the 10 year mark of ownership doing just very rough math. But that is Audi and Tesla price tag is fairly hefty as well if you don't get the tax breaks and such. If you bought a Nissan Leaf it works out a bit better math wise if you can live with a car that looks like that. The coworker that bought the Tesla 3 is paying close to $1K a month on the loan and he had to get an electrician to setup his garage for charging the battery.

Hopefully Mazda will have it priced more reasonably if they bring one to the market.

When I think of these things it just makes considering a EV more difficult. And the environment claim for those who justify that angle of paying a whole lot more to get EV to save the environment, I work for one of the largest energy and environmental engineering companies in the world. Almost every energy sector we provide consulting for has environmental issues to correct, prevent or rehab. So that angle is not convincing to me personally when I know what is going on to keep the electricity, fuel and batteries generated.

Right now two of the largest mental hurdles for me is the price tag for a half decent looking EV that doesn't look like the Leaf and the driving range. The thought of having to divert from the route to a charging station and spend up to an hour charging would drive me insane.

Mazda BETTER be able to make it work as well as Hyundai.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/index.aspx

Honestly? If that thing had 800mi range and AWD, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat over my CX5. That is literally all t hat's holding me back, is the short range of PEV's. Otherwise...free fuel? Hell yes! I burn $220/mo on gasoline alone. Also keep in mind PEV's don't need oil changes and a host of other things.

Mazda BETTER be able to make it work as well as Hyundai.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/index.aspx

Honestly? If that thing had 800mi range and AWD, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat over my CX5. That is literally all t hat's holding me back, is the short range of PEV's. Otherwise...free fuel? Hell yes! I burn $220/mo on gasoline alone. Also keep in mind PEV's don't need oil changes and a host of other things.

I am with you and I am warming up to EV's if the other things come around. My regular commute is short so I would not even have to fully charge it ever so often and as you say a whole lot less maintenance in terms of oil changes (that I currently do at home and then have to take the waste oil back to the store). If the cost to purchase is reasonable, the vehicle doesn't look like a tree hugger's Dr. Suess dream and the range improves I would jump in as well. And I think those things are coming closer to happening. Almost all car manufacturers are putting more focus on EV's now. I think it will come around to being a great option.

My longest trips that only happen a couple times a year are only about 320 miles. If the car had a range of 500+ that would be great.

Interesting that a coworker/Tesla 3 Long Range model did his first trip from Atlanta to Chicago last year using the Tesla in car app to plan the drive and charging points. He was fairly frustrated because it had him going on a lot of back roads to keep the speed down to make the range longer. He had to make a couple long stops for full charge. I tend to drive 80 on the interstate and I am sure that would drain the battery a lot faster reducing the range. I would have to make a drastic change in my driving habits, but again I only do a couple long trips a year.

So if they can get the range improved that would be huge.

While more range is clearly better, my biggest gripe would be with the time needed to charge up. Putting a level 2 charging station in my parking spot outside my condo, would be fairly costly I assume and would still require hours to fully charge. I commute about 100mi round trip to work, so 300mi range would allow me to charge every other day, easily. I'd also wonder how an EV with supposed 300mi of range would change in the dead of winter.

I think we will see substantial mileage range improvements in the Tesla models by the 2021 model year. They may offer 2 levels, a less expensive model with smaller, lighter battery packs and less range and the premium model with maximum range.
Tesla's acquisition of Maxwell Technologies was to give them exclusive battery and ultracapacitor technology that their competitors won't have.

Electric Mazda? front end looks like cx-5 but could be a mule

While more range is clearly better, my biggest gripe would be with the time needed to charge up. Putting a level 2 charging station in my parking spot outside my condo, would be fairly costly I assume and would still require hours to fully charge. I commute about 100mi round trip to work, so 300mi range would allow me to charge every other day, easily. I'd also wonder how an EV with supposed 300mi of range would change in the dead of winter.
Exactly!

And EV is NOT a Zero-Emission vehicle!

Everybody is talking about the initial range, but batteries lose their capacity over time, no?

I'd rather carry a weapon than simply hope I was a more capable person than my opponent when someone decides to break into my house/rob me/whatever. I'm a decent size lad with a sense of how to use it, but there are always bigger and meaner. Besides, ultimately, I don't like my government telling me I have the right to defend myself with/only own certain things (yes they still do, sadly, but I'll take the best options I can get). That's why we cut that cord with yours :)

Serious question? You got knives at home, right? Like, 6" knife for slicing veggies, etc? It's hard to tell WHAT is true with the media...

The fact is that this thread is about electric cars and not guns. I presume you can go to a gun forum and talk about playing with guns there. My kitchen knives stay in the kitchen, I don't feel the need to carry any knives around with me on the street. I don't know what 1776 has got to do with this thread?

And not just that upfront cost, how much does it cost to charge the vehicle in say a month of normal driving? I'm not exactly versed on how much juice it's sucking up.

And I can guarantee my power at home is not supplied by 100% renewables. ;) I suppose if you have solar panels or something...

Electric Mazda? front end looks like cx-5 but could be a mule

Very few manufactured things are zero emission but they are getting better with solar power and wind farms. They*ll get EV*s far better than combustion engines one day.
Electricity supply always requires certain amount of base power generation which is stable. You need base power generation 24/7 with constant electricity supply. Solar and wind power generation CAN NOT fully replace base power generation by coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear power plants. Solar and wind power generations are simply unstable and can't be used for base power generation. if you think we can store the extra electricity generated by solar and wind and use them at off hours when there's no sun and wind, the cost is astronomical!

And I haven't discuss environmental impacts of solar panels and wind turbines. Both also require large land use which is threatening many agricultural productions.

Electricity supply always requires certain amount of base power generation which is stable. You need base power generation 24/7 with constant electricity supply. Solar and wind power generation CAN NOT fully replace base power generation by coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear power plants. Solar and wind power generations are simply unstable and can't be used for base power generation. if you think we can store the extra electricity generated by solar and wind and use them at off hours when there's no sun and wind, the cost is astronomical!

And I haven't discuss environmental impacts of solar panels and wind turbines. Both also require large land use which is threatening many agricultural productions.

I agree with you but all I*m saying is, by the time EVs are mandated (2035 for Europe), things will have improved.

Very true. Not to mention that if you look at any wind farms out there right now, chances are they are connected to a backup of traditional power for when their output is insufficient or to run itself.

We have a ways to go yet.

Back