New battery at 4 yrs 41k miles???

:
Mazda6 GT, MX5 PRHT
Battery was starting to show weakness. AAA tested it and it was down to about 330 CCA. Seems like I should have gotten more life out of it but oh well. It's a non-iEloop 2016 GT. Car is always garage parked and I live in Upstate SC so no extreme weather conditions. I do tend to drive short errands at times so I bet that caused some of the shortened life.

My '16 GT w/ iEloop was replaced at around 4 yr old also.
Same as my daughter's '14 Mazda3. They both lasted about four yrs.

My iEloop battery lasted a bit more than 4 years. I think it would've lasted longer if the car were driven more often while I was working in Malaysia for one month. But hey, it was only $600 to have it replaced.(rolleyes)

I guess times have changed because I used to always get at the very minimum 5 years out of a battery. Maybe it is all the electronics in cars now????

On another note, I finally used my AAA membership benefits and had them come out to my house to install a new battery. Only $5 more than a top of the line battery from Autozone or Advance Auto and the AAA warranty is better/longer. 100% replacement in first 3 years and warranty coverage up to 6 years. I think 50% replacement cost after 3 years (can't remember).

Last edited:
Maybe it is all the electronics in cars now????

Yes, that's exactly what it is. It gets to a point where we have no choice - We WILL pay more to have 12 airbags, 30 sensors, and get at least 55 MPG whether we want to or not.

The battery in my 2004 only lasts about 2yrs. The temperature under the hood of that thing is impressive.

Yeah my 2015's stock battery died a little over a year ago so about 3 or 4 years of life. Replaced with a AAA battery which didn't even last a year. Put in a a Northstar AGM after that, hopefully will be much better

Back