Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 CX-5 low, rear red reflectors: Replace w/ lighted brake/tail units?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

The OEM rear fog lights for other markets appear to be brighter than the tail lights, which is no surprise for something meant to add visibility. I wonder if one could circumvent any regulatory concerns for the US by simply matching/duplicating the rear tail lights' brightness and activity? So, in other words, the added lighting in the lower rear bumper lenses would go on and off with the rear driving lights and closely match their brightness level...??

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    Just be forewarned - I know here in Ontario Canada, there is a minimum and maximum # of headlamps and colouration when dealing with stuff like this.

In some jurisdictions, this could be illegal and could net you a ticket, despite the fact that it is, indeed, much safer!
    Quote Originally Posted by RLCarrington View Post
    The OEM rear fog lights for other markets appear to be brighter than the tail lights, which is no surprise for something meant to add visibility. I wonder if one could circumvent any regulatory concerns for the US by simply matching/duplicating the rear tail lights' brightness and activity? So, in other words, the added lighting in the lower rear bumper lenses would go on and off with the rear driving lights and closely match their brightness level...??
    The only way this can be legally circumvented is if the vehicle was factory equipped with more than 2 active brake lights (not including the 3rd brake light). If an officer takes the time to research the CX-5 and finds out that they only come with 2 active brake lights, they might be able to ticket you (if it's a ticketable offense - I'm not sure if it is in the US).

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    The only way this can be legally circumvented is if the vehicle was factory equipped with more than 2 active brake lights (not including the 3rd brake light). If an officer takes the time to research the CX-5 and finds out that they only come with 2 active brake lights, they might be able to ticket you (if it's a ticketable offense - I'm not sure if it is in the US).
    Thanks! I'm sure it is...SIGH.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Are they legal in the US? I can see it's safer at night or foggy weather.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    I gotta think that legality is on a state-by-state basis.

If you have annual state inspections, you might just stop by an inspection station and ask, rather than try to interpret government gobbledygook on your own.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo

I did this on the Subaru Forester I had before I switched to the CX 5. Does anyone know if there is wires in the back panels for a trailer wiring harness? That is what I tapped into on the Forester. If they are there is makes the install a lot easier. I do like the ones from Aliexpress.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Anyone got wiring diagram for the taillight?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by teekay_yt View Post
    Anyone got wiring diagram for the taillight?
    Here's a link to that section in an online manual.

Note that when you use the search function, the first links that are listed are ads. Scroll down until you encounter links to the actual manual.

It's HTML (online only). I've yet to find a pdf manual I can download to my computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12