Test drove a GTR this morning

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Had my 16 in for service and decided to drive the turbo. Getting ready to replace my wife's CR-V and I think I have her convinced that she doesn't want another
CR-V. I think she's finally seeing the light.

Anyway, the GTR has a nice interior but it still has those chrome vent covers. If I buy one I'm going to get them to replace with black (hopefully).

The turbo has plenty of torque but it didn't blow me away. Nice drive though. Seems to have a nice suite of tech though.

o.9% financing is great. Sales guy asked me how much I was putting down and I told him at .9 not much. $750.00 loyalty cash too.

I hope my wife likes it when she test drives it, then I'll have nights and weekends to play with it.

good stuff man...i hope she likes it as well, it is a bit stiffer/ sportier driving than the CR-V hope she's ok with that. 310lbs of torque at 2k rpm wasn't enough of a difference from your '16? ;)

I friend bought a new crv last year and he regrets it everytime he steps on the gas. Must say the gtr has plenty of power for what it is. Only thing i dont like is the small gas tank.

The turbo has plenty of torque but it didn't blow me away. Nice drive though. Seems to have a nice suite of tech though.

I rented a McLaren 570S twin turbo V8 in April. It's 0-60 is in 2.7 seconds. Needless to say, not many cars would impress me after that rocket ship ride. :)
Of course, you can get a 3 year-old Porsche Macan S (340 HP) for less than $40K but it will not have the reliability of a Mazda.

* Anyway, the GTR has a nice interior but it still has those chrome vent covers. If I buy one I'm going to get them to replace with black (hopefully).
That's the thing I checked the first time I test-drove a gen-2 CX-5. Yep the chrome is still there on side vents, so as the reflection. Don't know why Mazda couldn't learn the lesson from gen-1 CX-5. Don't believe there's black vent available for gen-2 CX-5 though.

The turbo has plenty of torque but it didn't blow me away.
Thar's what I felt the first time I test-drove the 2.5T. I tested a 2.5L back-to-back and couldn't feel too much power advantage from 2.5T. Even the general manager of the Mazda dealer who is driving a GTR told me the same thing.

That's the thing I checked the first time I test-drove a gen-2 CX-5. Yep the chrome is still there on side vents, so as the reflection. Don't know why Mazda couldn't learn the lesson from gen-1 CX-5. Don't believe there's black vent available for gen-2 CX-5 though.

Thar's what I felt the first time I test-drove the 2.5T. I tested a 2.5L back-to-back and couldn't feel too much power advantage from 2.5T. Even the general manager of the Mazda dealer who is driving a GTR told me the same thing.

It didn't feel like a lot of power difference but acceleration felt smoother and I didn't notice any dead spots. On my 16 sometimes you have to really press the pedal to get it to wake up and go. I understand that they're trying to save gas on the non-turbo's so the engine really wants to find a high gear and stay there.

what? big difference IMO..maybe you didn't get to drive it where you could take advantage?

Gotta get those RPMs up and not granny drive it.

I simply pressed the gas pedal to the floor and used my butt dyno to feel the acceleration on both CX-5*s back-to-back.

Interesting. Still need to give one a test drive. Haven't had a chance to drop into a stealership lately.

I was a lifelong sports car owner before buying my 2019 GT-Reserve. A change in lifestyle and living location dictated an SUV and AWD. Do I wish the CX 5 had a normally aspirated V6 with about 300 HP and a better front/rear bias active AWD ? Yes. But the thing moves pretty well for its size. No problem merging onto the freeway or climbing up to 6000 ft elevation on mountain roads.
No way I would have bought one of the non-turbo models.

I rented a McLaren 570S twin turbo V8 in April. It's 0-60 is in 2.7 seconds. Needless to say, not many cars would impress me after that rocket ship ride. :)
Of course, you can get a 3 year-old Porsche Macan S (340 HP) for less than $40K but it will not have the reliability of a Mazda.

My weekend car used to be a C6 Z06. 0-60 3.7ish. Not in t he same league as the McLaren, but I know what you mean. Regardless, I find the GTR CX5 to be an engaging vehicle. I do wish it had more top-end. I saw a @7K rpm 2.5 SA/T dyno pull from OVT on YouTube though...and it was beautiful. Mazda holding out on us...maybe for an MS3 by a different name. One can hope...

I was a lifelong sports car owner before buying my 2019 GT-Reserve. A change in lifestyle and living location dictated an SUV and AWD. Do I wish the CX 5 had a normally aspirated V6 with about 300 HP and a better front/rear bias active AWD ? Yes. But the thing moves pretty well for its size. No problem merging onto the freeway or climbing up to 6000 ft elevation on mountain roads.
No way I would have bought one of the non-turbo models.

Same, except I'm at 1500ft, and unsure how our mountains compare. I initially bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI w/QD2, and this CX5 is almost as fast. With a 10mpg better economy!

Same, except I'm at 1500ft, and unsure how our mountains compare. I initially bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI w/QD2, and this CX5 is almost as fast. With a 10mpg better economy!

Well my 2.5L NA does fine going over 12k mountain passes...

Back