2013~2016 Help with P0172 and P013a on 2013 2.0 Gas

:
Pearl White CX-5 Touring AWD w/ Moonroof & Bose
My wife told me that the check engine light came on today on the CX-5 (2013 2.0Gas, 80K Miles).
She did not notice drivability concern, except saying the engine 'might be' a bit louder at loads.

I used OBD scanner and retrieved two codes:
P0172 running rich, P013a downstream O2 slow switch.

Either one will trip the CEL, so they were on at the same time.
What puzzles me is that fuel trim is determined by upstream O2, which might cause P0172, but what are the odds have both sensor fail simultaneously?

From Google not many people have the experience of having both codes (at least people who were bothered to post online).

I am wondering anyone can share some thoughts here?

Thank you.

Update:
Today the engine stalled after the car rolled to a stop (this is a non-stop/start vehicle). We'll stop driving the car and I have scheduled dealer visit for next week.

Will let everyone know what's going on.

Many things can throw the p0172 the most common being a dirty or faulty MAFS, I suggest cleaning it with CRC MAFS cleaner and see if that helps.

Many things can throw the p0172 the most common being a dirty or faulty MAFS, I suggest cleaning it with CRC MAFS cleaner and see if that helps.

Or just replace it. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum a few years back, the MAFs for the GEN1s were replaced with a new part number. Probalems were usually after 50k miles. Cleaning them did not seem to fully cure the problem (that was my case), but replacing it did cure the problem. My 2.

Back