Cooling fan not working on Mazda5 2.0 2006

popeye4th

hi people another post with the same car.
so went out for the day down the m62 and car went into limp mode no power no dash signals so pulled over on hard shoulder. the cars bonnet was red hot strange because it wasn't a hot day so popped it.
left car half hour to cool and it started so continued my journey. it happened 2 times on way back waited half hour each time.*
someone came to house and scanned it came up with ETC so I've replaced coolant temperature sensor and thermostat but its still the same. the radiator fan doesn't kick in only when the air con is on. do think it could be the fan control unit? I've ordered one anyways but second hand because there really pricey to say its a 2006 Mazda. also ordered bluetooth scanner to see what temps go too.
Also when air con is running car seems fine.*
if anyone has or had same problem and sorted it I'd be greatfull for help cheers

I've changed fan and unit over and its still not working. am at a loss. only had the car 2 week. theres white smoke coming out the exhaust too and its been like that since getting it but just thought it was a service it needed. exhaust is dripping liquid so put my finger in it and it smells like coolant do you think this is the reason its braking down.

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Exhaust getting into the coolant which overheats it. Prior owner screwed you.

as for my original problem I've taken the fan relay out and connected a wire from one prong to the other and fan kicks in. im just waiting on a new relay to see if the other is not working. ill keep you all posted

Glow Plug? This is a diesel? Didn't know they made such a thing?

White smoke is a head gasket/cracked head/cracked block. Steam. Big problem.

Blue/Dark smoke is burning oil/worn engine. Smoke. Not an immediate problem.

If your exhaust was dripping stuff that smells like coolant...I don't see how you don't have at least a head gasket issue.

I mean, I have my fingers crossed for you...but I'm not hopeful.

I have seen cars, with a bad head gasket, that when cold not smoke but when hot get worse.

Glow Plug? This is a diesel? Didn't know they made such a thing?

White smoke is a head gasket/cracked head/cracked block. Steam. Big problem.

Blue/Dark smoke is burning oil/worn engine. Smoke. Not an immediate problem.

If your exhaust was dripping stuff that smells like coolant...I don't see how you don't have at least a head gasket issue.

I mean, I have my fingers crossed for you...but I'm not hopeful.

I have seen cars, with a bad head gasket, that when cold not smoke but when hot get worse.

yes mate this is my engine has 4 plugs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-120502_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-120502_Samsung Internet.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 193
UPDATE:
Bought a obd scanner had it plugged in to test the coolant temperature and today temp went to 100c and fan kicked in so thats kind of good but for some reason the revvs was 1000 and back to 750 up and down and out the back white or gray smoke not too sure but it looked like an Indian doing smoke signals. any recommendations to what it might be. I've been reading on mazda site something about when you do any work on mazda like oil change or changing sensors you have to reset the ecu is this true?
so far I've changed
oil
oil filter
diesel filter
air filter
cleaned the sensor on the air filter
new temp sensor
new thormastat
new fan control unit
I've tried look for the PCV to see if this is the problem also someone on another post said about glow plugs causing smoke and the relay. i know from experience glow plugs heat the car when its cold so it starts.
my coolant and oil are fine no leaks. air pipes are good no rips. car has good power. its not steam.
I've ordered a block tester to see if i have head gasket leaks but ill updat on that. thanks for any info.

Might want to ask a diesel forum and see what they think from the video...VW forum maybe? They may have some tricks on narrowing down the issue.

UPDATE:
Bought a obd scanner had it plugged in to test the coolant temperature and today temp went to 100c and fan kicked in so thats kind of good but for some reason the revvs was 1000 and back to 750 up and down and out the back white or gray smoke not too sure but it looked like an Indian doing smoke signals. any recommendations to what it might be. I've been reading on mazda site something about when you do any work on mazda like oil change or changing sensors you have to reset the ecu is this true?
so far I've changed
oil
oil filter
diesel filter
air filter
cleaned the sensor on the air filter
new temp sensor
new thormastat
new fan control unit
I've tried look for the PCV to see if this is the problem also someone on another post said about glow plugs causing smoke and the relay. i know from experience glow plugs heat the car when its cold so it starts.
my coolant and oil are fine no leaks. air pipes are good no rips. car has good power. its not steam.
I've ordered a block tester to see if i have head gasket leaks but ill updat on that. thanks for any info.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with diesels.

Is the block tester the same as a leak-down tester to determine if cylinders are holding pressure? This would give you an indication.

did quick google "diesel white smoke idle" and it seems it could be injectors - didn't know diesel injectors are crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Update again
i got one of them gasket testers and the blue liquid changed from blue to green which indicates head gasket problems. plus the two pipes coming from the intercooler behind the wheel arch have loads of oil in them so what are my options for getting a refund from the trader he never gave me a recipe.

Did you buy it privately or from a dealer?
Dealer, call them up and ask nicely what they can do for you.
Privately, the responsibility is on you to inspect the car beforehand for any problems. Probably not going to get anything back unless they misrepresented the car.

Did you buy it privately or from a dealer?
Dealer, call them up and ask nicely what they can do for you.
Privately, the responsibility is on you to inspect the car beforehand for any problems. Probably not going to get anything back unless they misrepresented the car.

motor company but i messaged him and he's not replying. i did ring his number on the 15th but his dad answered and said he would ask his mechanic but he's still not got back to me. he said he told me no warranty was given i said you didn't tell me so he probably known something was wrong with it. problem is on Wednesday it'll be 30 days since i bought it and after that cant get my money back.

Back