Mazda 5 - still having problems and weird symptoms after TCM replacement

Hi Guys,

I need some help with my Mazda 5 / Premacy. Ma car is a 2.0l engine with 5 speed aut, 2007 year (car from Japanese market) as I live in New Zealand. Car has got 60 000 mil.

Story started 2 months ago with a typical TCM malfunction - got stuck at 2nd gear, hard shifting etc. I decided to buy a refurbished one and installed by myself. Check engine and AT lights went off but car still has got some problems. When the engine is cold everything is ok, after 25 -30 minutes there is a small jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and from time to time more serious jerk with kind of feeling like slipage or problems with 2nd gear setting up. The rest of the gears including R working very smoothly. No more symptoms. Wneh I start in the morning and engine is cold, you even cannot feel the change from 1st to 2nd.

After TCM replacement I decided to change the oil and filter - condition of both was very poor unfortunately. 2 weeks after this change I checked the oil and the transmission was overfilled (around 0.4 l and my mechanic did it) so not much but anyway was overfilled. Now the level is ok but the symptoms are still occuring in the same way - before oil change and after change. Cold engine - ok, hot - problems.

The only one thing I am going to do now is doing a swap of refurbished TCM just to ensure that it is not this part's fault.

What do you think Guys? Maybe valve body with solenoids or this is more serious? Car is not worth much so I would like to spend not a huge amount of money on the fixing. I know that trannys in Mazda 5 are poor quality.

Has someone had a bit similar problem?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Not really clear from the post but did you change the transmission fluid and the filter in the transmission pan? If so, what kind of fluid did you use and how did the pan filter look?

Sounds like the TCM is working correctly. If you don't have any warning lights now, getting good fluid in there is really the only thing you can do without tearing down the transmission.

Back