CX-5 GT multiple warning lights

Akbinner

:
2014 cx5 grand touring
A few weeks ago the belt tensioner unit failed while driving. I had that replaced and after that I noticed some hesitation while driving. On Friday I was on the highway and felt more hesitation and when I stepped on the gas I got three error messages. A message engine inspection required, TPMS inspection required, SCBS inspection required. I went to a garage, they checked the oil and said I was low by a couple quarts. They ran the codes and said that the engine was miss firing on all four cylinders. They topped up the oil and the other fluids and reset the codes and sent me on my way. Couple miles down the road the error messages came up again. The car was hesitating and jerking when I was sitting in the parking lot of the garage. Stepping on the gas the car hesitates, gets to about 40 and the hesitation is worse, very little power going up inclines and if I step on the gas too hard the same warning lights come back. The garage told me I need to drive the car so that something in the engine gets re-lubricated. Something (I forgot what they said) was compressed due to low engine oil and that may be why I am having these issues. I*m also overdue for an oil change by about 5000 miles. Car has 125k miles.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago the belt tensioner unit failed while driving. I had that replaced and after that I noticed some hesitation while driving. On Friday I was on the highway and felt more hesitation and when I stepped on the gas I got three error messages. A message engine inspection required, TPMS inspection required, SCBS inspection required. I went to a garage, they checked the oil and said I was low by a couple quarts. They ran the codes and said that the engine was miss firing on all four cylinders. They topped up the oil and the other fluids and reset the codes and sent me on my way. Couple miles down the road the error messages came up again. The car was hesitating and jerking when I was sitting in the parking lot of the garage. Stepping on the gas the car hesitates, gets to about 40 and the hesitation is worse, very little power going up inclines and if I step on the gas too hard the same warning lights come back. The garage told me I need to drive the car so that something in the engine gets re-lubricated. Something (I forgot what they said) was compressed due to low engine oil and that may be why I am having these issues. I*m also overdue for an oil change by about 5000 miles. Car has 125k miles.

Umm where to start
.. change your oil.. likely have bad plugs, possibly hastened by dirty oil. Whens the last time you changed your engine air filter, and lastly next time you get a code pulled ask and note what the actual code(s) is for reference. Your engine needs maintenance.. I wouldn't be in a rush to blow it up by trying to push it. Codes will continue to return until the problem is solved.

Yikes. First off, change your oil regularly. Depending on your driving conditions a 5k or 7.5k mile oil change interval is acceptable, but I did notice that pushing 7500 and more, I had to add oil. You should check your dipstick periodically. 2 quarts low is pretty unacceptable and a damn good way to blow up your engine.

I agree with Christopher, check your spark plugs and have the codes pulled...

Change the oil first and make sure to use the recommended fully syn 0w20.
tolerance is minimal on these engines modules and good fresh oil is a must for all the internal elements to function.

Thank you for your responses. Garage did oil change and replaced the spark plugs. I learned my lesson ☹️

Back