2017~2024 CX-5 Sport mode questions

Ditto 50/50 diff lock! I'm guessing it's best to not even touch sport mode until the engine is run in.

My manual says this about break-in period:

- Do not race the engine.
- Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid full-throttle starts.

Sport Mode will cause it to wind out excessively. It is not a comfortable experience, even in someone else's car. You want to wait until your 1,000 km is up.

The dealer I bought my car from had the car I wanted in a related out-of-state dealership, and would have had it driven over 300 miles for me to pick up. I ordered from the factory so I could break it in myself.

My manual says this about break-in period:

- Do not race the engine.
- Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid full-throttle starts.

Sport Mode will cause it to wind out excessively. It is not a comfortable experience, even in someone else's car. You want to wait until your 1,000 km is up.

The dealer I bought my car from had the car I wanted in a related out-of-state dealership, and would have had it driven over 300 miles for me to pick up. I ordered from the factory so I could break it in myself.

A good thought, but often cars get driven hard even in those few miles. Truth be told, I think the break-in procedure gets a lot more press than is necessary. For example, I broke my 370Z is "by the book", and it still had a grinding transmission, etc. I bought my first CX5 as a former rental, and it was a great car.

A good thought, but often cars get driven hard even in those few miles. Truth be told, I think the break-in procedure gets a lot more press than is necessary. For example, I broke my 370Z is "by the book", and it still had a grinding transmission, etc. I bought my first CX5 as a former rental, and it was a great car.

Yeh, I wonder the same thing myself.

How can one really tell if it makes a difference? I've driven lots of rental cars and never noticed anything "bad" about them.

My main thing was if I'm gonna pay for a new car, then I want a new car.

Yeh, I wonder the same thing myself.

How can one really tell if it makes a difference? I've driven lots of rental cars and never noticed anything "bad" about them.

My main thing was if I'm gonna pay for a new car, then I want a new car.

Mine had 600ish mi on it when I took delivery. It does fine and I'm not stressed. My Z06 has <5mi on it. It had a cracked fender on delivery.

All that sport mode does is put excessive RPM's on your engine for no good reason. It was a cheap add on added to try and sell more cars.

0B9F11C1-8084-462D-8CBE-B51DD64F54C7.jpeg

It may be a gimmick, but it's hardly useless. If I'm on a 45 mile per hour road, and I put it in sport mode, it stays one or two gears lower which means I am already in a lower gear if I want to give it the beans to get around someone. That's especially useful with the turbo where it's already revving and spooling higher and ready to go with less lag.

I’ve had two Mazda, cx/5 and when driving aggressive. In regards if you floor it you won’t get above 4k. Using the paddle shifters and premium fuel. if you floor past the point where the cl icker at the gas pedal it will automatically shift at 4K RPM if you’re running lower grade fuel. Try sport move or normal and you goin past the gas pedal clicker will shift at 4k. Using the paddle shifter and staying below the kick down on the gas it will rev up to 5k.

I personally use sports mode when dealing with back roads that I normally take fast and want full control of the car. Of course, the paddle shifters helped to slow down the car even faster same with Sportsman.

The issue with sport mode on a CX-5 is that the gearing is so low already (to help motivate a 3500+ pound CUV with 185+/_ HP), that dropping the trans another gear for passing/hills/mountain roads puts the engine in an rpm range that provides more noise than added oomph. If you want to see how S/M is actually supposed to work, try it in a Mazda 3 with its taller gearing. It's a revelation!

I agree that it may do something with the suspension but to me, Sport Mode changes the cluster to red and that's it. Anyone driving all the time in Sport is just wasting gas.

I'm going to run my buddy at the dragstrip this year when it opens. I will try both normal and sport and bet there is no difference.

Back