Scotty Kilmer ranks Mazda #4

Scotty reads Consumer Reports probably... saw the move to #3 ranked reliability behind Toyota/Lexus. His video channel is alright, has some good videos.

Scotty is for entertainment purely with few basic things that he gets correct. If you want really good mechanics - you can probably get 100 here in DFW much better than him.
On YT - I like Turbowski and the guy from Rackets and Wrenches (typically posting best five cars under $). These guys go to year / make / model and dissect it and give you opinions on drivetrain and reliability. There is another guy for German cars and his accent is strongly eastern European which is interesting - I forget his channel but he does VW / Mercedes etc. This guy goes to interior life / issues in drivetrain etc.

Scotty is purely entertainment and gets a lot of things wrong. This is the guy that has not recommended Prius which is a gold standard for reliability along with other Toyota hybrids.

Last edited:
Scotty is for entertainment purely with few basic things that he gets correct. If you want really good mechanics - you can probably get 100 here in DFW much better than him.
On YT - I like Turbowski and the guy from Rackets and Wrenches (typically posting best five cars under $). These guys go to year / make / model and dissect it and give you opinions on drivetrain and reliability. There is another guy for German cars and his accent is strongly eastern European which is interesting - I forget his channel but he does VW / Mercedes etc. This guy goes to interior life / issues in drivetrain etc.

Scotty is purely entertainment and gets a lot of things wrong. This is the guy that has not recommended Prius which is a gold standard for reliability along with other Toyota hybrids.

Scotty is a clown. I wish he didn't show up so prominently in searches for car repair information.

I like Scotty Kilmer because not only he is pretty knowledgeable on car repairs, but also he is from Texas!

Except past Mazda videos of his have been factually inaccurate and downright dishonest ranging from claiming Skyactiv transmissions are Jatcos, claiming a client of his bought a piece of s*** used CX-5 "witha turbo" for $2k like 2 years ago, etc. etc.

Except past Mazda videos of his have been factually inaccurate and downright dishonest ranging from claiming Skyactiv transmissions are Jatcos, claiming a client of his bought a piece of s*** used CX-5 "witha turbo" for $2k like 2 years ago, etc. etc.
Scotty Kilmer is known to dislike Mazda, that's why I was surprised he'd rank Mazda #4! And he did mention Honda 1.5T has suffered oil dilution issue, but he still ranked Honda #2.

I watch his video mainly for entertainment purpose, but I feel he does know something on car repairs, especially on older cars. I guess that's why he dislikes the Mazda as older Mazda's do have many issues.

Scotty Kilmer is known to dislike Mazda, that's why I was surprised he'd rank Mazda #4! And he did mention Honda 1.5T has suffered oil dilution issue, but he still ranked Honda #2.

I watch his video mainly for entertainment purpose, but I feel he does know something on car repairs, especially on older cars. I guess that's why he dislikes the Mazda as older Mazda's do have many issues.

Regardless, he should not be claiming SkyActiv is s*** (which he did) by using the CX-7(not a SkyActiv), which I assume is what he was actually talking about when claiming his client bought a used CX-5 with a turbo for $2k, all while making it sound like he's talking about a modern Mazda and CX-5. In another video he claims SkyActive automatic transmissions are Jatcos. Again, factually wrong. That's dishonest, and a disservice to the massive amount of subscribers he has who don't know any better and just take his word as gospel.

While I agree some of his content is fine, most of it is simply his opinion and often not based on reality or accurate factual data.

He does get some things right, like the high cost of German vehicle maintenance and repair, but he tends to say things like "I had a customer who **". You should not use a very small data sample to base an opinion about a make or model. Consumer Reports does have a very large data base of reliability-related issues for most makes and models. Sometimes they are not perfectly consistent, however. A couple of years ago, they faulted the Mazda 3 for being noisy and having a stiff ride, but praised its avoidance/handling ability. Now they knock the 3's handling and fuel mileage but the difference between its mileage and other cars in its class is minimal. Most Mazdas are now quieter and smoother riding than the competition but it seems that no matter what Mazda does, it cannot be deemed the overall best.

That is why I posted it, I was expecting him to say Mazda was 3rd worst, in his opinion, because he isn't a Mazda fan. His videos are mostly for entertainment, I have started watching his videos. My pet peeve of his videos is, he only talks a little bit in his video about the title of the video. I usually stop watching after he finishes talking about the video title's topic.

Back