TURBO engine oil survey

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
I've never been able to get the search function to work. Sorry. I saw the recent thread on non-turbo engine oil...got to wandering what you like for the 2.5 TURBO.

Thanks.

While Im still under warranty, Im planning on using a Mazda OE filter and whatever SN+ rated oil is cheapest - likely Amazon Basics or Meijer store brand (same oil, different label). Once Im out of warranty, I may start worrying about better add packs for extended OCIs, but Ill still be using the OE filters.

OEM filters + Mobile 1 5-30 EP, because it is Honda HTO-06, Dexos Gen 2, and SN+rated.

I do 5K mile intervals, because D/I+ Turbo.

I will use the Mazda OEM filters and Castrol Edge 5W-30 synthetic. It is formulated for GDI and turbo engines and is GF5, SN+ and DEXOS approved. It is also reasonably priced at about $23 for a 5 quart jug. I will limit my OCI's to 5000 miles as high temperatures encountered and frequent traffic jams/stop and go situations in SouCal driving qualify for extreme conditions IMO.

SN, A5/B5 is fine for the cx5 2.5T. It is what Mazda recommends in the Cx9 and cx5t.

I realize that the 2.5T is under the theoretical BMEP threshold where LSPI becomes an issue, but all the same, I'd prefer to stick with SN+.

I realize that the 2.5T is under the theoretical BMEP threshold where LSPI becomes an issue, but all the same, I'd prefer to stick with SN+.

Exactly. Hence my choice. I was simply giving the requirement per Mazda. B3 is not what the engine was made to use, so the thicker oil is not necessary.

Because Rotary. (shrug)
FD.may13.jpg

Last edited:
Because Rotary. (shrug)
FD.may13.jpg

*sigh*
Technically yes, this is a good choice in this application, but this is also the CX5 forum, and so it is under that auspice that we all are obviously talking about the 2.5 SkyActiv turbo engine, not a rotary.

*pffft*
I replied to a thread from the top of the page "latest posts" section (like I've been doing since before the Mazda3 was out, much less the CX family) asking what oil TURBO drivers use. Castrol GTX is what Mazda recommends for its most famous turbocharged engine; the one that powered the car that won the 24hours of LeMans.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

*pffft*
I replied to a thread from the top of the page "latest posts" section (like I've been doing since before the Mazda3 was out, much less the CX family) asking what oil TURBO drivers use. Castrol GTX is what Mazda recommends for its most famous turbocharged engine; the one that powered the car that won the 24hours of LeMans.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Keep in mind that what was best several decades ago may well not be best, now, especially in a field like chemical engineering/tribology.

Rotary engines burn oil as part of the combustion process. Most synthetic oils leave ash deposits when burnt and that is not good for a rotary engine. If I switch to synth, I can't go back, and Castrol GTX has been working great since the car was new in the 90's.

Keep in mind also that some things that appear in nature can't be improved upon in a lab. Would you rather eat an ear of corn that was injected with hormones and grown in lava rocks with a florescent lights, or one that was grown in a field of organic soil outside like they've grown since the beginning of time?

hijack.jpg

EDIT: I'll pipe down now. Apologies if I offended anyone with my *gasp* conventional motor oil. If anyone with a rotary ever joins here and is wondering what oil to put in their lame old RX-7, I just saved em 100s of dollars at the very least, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Back