2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

I drive my friends Mercedes GLC a lot and the seats are way more comfortable, but after 5 months in my reserve I*m beginning to like the seats more than I did at first. I will say after a long road trip I don*t experience any back discomfort.

Some vehicles are noted for comfortable seats but, MAZDA is certainly not one of them. I wonder if part of the problem is the narrow interior which defines the shape of the seats. Ed

Yup.

I've commented that I like to sit far back and kind of spread out when I drive, unless it's a true sports car. Can't do that in the CX-5. For an SUV, the driver's cockpit sure feels enclosed. I will say that when I'm tearing through the winding country roads, I appreciate the feel of that small space.

It's interesting the things you don't notice when you take test drives, especially when you go some years in between buying new vehicles...not enough practice through the process.

Last edited:
I still can't understand why Mazda don't make the cloth seats standard over all the trim levels and then charge extra for leather for those who really want it.

I wonder if if might have something to do with Mazda's relatively low production and sales volume. Perhaps the factory cannot accommodate a ton of manufacturing variables, and dealers cannot carry enough cars to represent each variant.

One thing I noticed when shopping on the RAV-4 Build Your Own site was that Toyota had a TON of pre-packages with a bunch of different combinations of options, but none of those contained everything that I wanted. It really made my head spin.

Avoidin Deer;6656182One thing I noticed when shopping on the RAV-4 [I said:
Build Your Own[/I] site was that Toyota had a TON of pre-packages with a bunch of different combinations of options, but none of those contained everything that I wanted. It really made my head spin.

The thing that really puts me off of wanting to deal with Toyota is that they bundle packages and individual features into build types, and only distribute them to certain regions. If you're going to advertise a feature as being available, then it should be available anywhere without having to do a customized build.

The thing that really puts me off of wanting to deal with Toyota is that they bundle packages and individual features into build types, and only distribute them to certain regions.

Yeh, I forgot about that.

I did find that to be kinda odd, but my Mazda is only the 3rd new vehicle I've bought (the other 2 were trucks, and the 20 years before that were used cars), so I'm not real familiar with how most manufacturers are. But I gotta think that offering regional options like that is not normal, except for perhaps climate-specific tires or something like that.

The seat on mine was uncomfortable. Made me go to a minimulist wallet. Seats are much more comfortable now.

Yeh, I quit carrying in my back pocket a long time ago to alleviate back issues.

It seems that our bodies have design issues...

I don't find my Signature seats to be terribly uncomfortable - they're not 'plush' like some people might like, but I'm a fairly big guy, so firmer seats are better for me.

Yeh, I quit carrying in my back pocket a long time ago to alleviate back issues.

It seems that our bodies have design issues...

Plus the seat bolster was in the right position where I couldn*t sit strait. Even if I carry the small wallet in my back pocket it will push out of the way.

I purchased a 2019 GTR a month ago and my biggest complaint is definitely the seats. Seat base is too small and hard. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and I've never had this issue with other cars. I know a lot of people have complained about this. Can people share their fixes? I've been looking at aftermarket seat base covers. Has anyone tried this? Taken seats to an upholsterer for modification?

I have a new Signature. After a couple of months and some longish drives I have no problem with the seats. I'm 5'10" so maybe taller or shorter drivers have an issue.

After 5,000 miles I have reached the intersection of breaking the seat in and getting used to it.

I find that I still occasionally shift to find a comfortable spot.

The one thing that really helped me (and that I shared before) is to follow the specific steps in the manual for adjusting the seat position (starts at the bottom of Manual Pg 2-7). Yeh, it seems like a silly thing to do (like reading the directions on how to use a coffee cup), but it really helped me. I find that Mazda has me sitting closer to the steering wheel and sitting more upright than I ever have in any other car/truck, but it's a comfortable position for the vehicle and is what the seat is designed for. I've tweaked a little from that baseline position, but not much.

You can always save your current seat settings so as to easily revert if desired.

The one thing that really helped me (and that I shared before) is to follow the specific steps in the manual for adjusting the seat position (starts at the bottom of Manual Pg 2-7). Yeh, it seems like a silly thing to do (like reading the directions on how to use a coffee cup), but it really helped me. I find that Mazda has me sitting closer to the steering wheel and sitting more upright than I ever have in any other car/truck, but it's a comfortable position for the vehicle and is what the seat is designed for. I've tweaked a little from that baseline position, but not much.

You can always save your current seat settings so as to easily revert if desired.

Same here. Seats were uncomfortable and my back would feel tired after 30-60 minutes behind the wheel with my original "tweak here-tweak there" seat position. Once I followed the manual's recommended instructions on seat adjustment I haven't had any back issues. The "correct" position felt a bit unnatural to start with but that feeling went away about halfway through my very next commute to work. It may not work for everyone but I'm satisfied with the results.

Same here. Seats were uncomfortable and my back would feel tired after 30-60 minutes behind the wheel with my original "tweak here-tweak there" seat position. Once I followed the manual's recommended instructions on seat adjustment I haven't had any back issues. The "correct" position felt a bit unnatural to start with but that feeling went away about halfway through my very next commute to work. It may not work for everyone but I'm satisfied with the results.

Another change I've made (based on the recommendation of a member here) is putting my hands at 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock on the steering wheel, versus the old 10-2 position. Just like the new seating position, it took a while to get used to, but I find it more functional than the old way. It provides an extra 30 degrees of steering wheel turn and feels as though I have more control. The habit was easier to pick up that I thought it would be. Maybe others here already do this and I'm late to the game...

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, the seats do break in after a short period. I am 5'8" and about 175 lbs and the seat fits me just fine. I learned to remove my wallet from my pants on drives that are more than a few miles a long time ago. Initially, the front part of the lower seat cushion seemed too hard and created discomfort to my thighs just above the knee. Adjusting the seat per the manual as Avoidin Deer suggests helped, and now that I have about 3800 miles on my GT-R the seat cushion has softened up some and I no longer get the pressure on the lower thighs.

The seats really are terrible. Narrow base with hard bolsters. Wider back that lacks bolster support.

I have no idea what body type this would actually work for.

My hips are in pain after 30 minutes. Being a skinnier guy, I dont have much of my own cushioning to help with the hard bolsters.

Take a turn too fast and you wind up on the lower bolster. While theyre firm, theyre not high or long enough to really hold me in place.

I have tweaked the seat multiple times following the directions. Like others have noted, I find myself sitting closer to the wheel than I normally so.

I have 10k on my car, so I dont think theyll break in much more. Even if they do, the width of the base is what it is.

My 97 Saturn Sl2 held me in place better and was more comfortable. Sure they didnt look great and didnt have heat or ventilation, but at least they didnt hurt.

I sat in a signature in the show room a few weeks ago. It wasnt any better.

I just got a new GT-R and spent 3 hours in the driver's seat on the way home from purchasing the car. I took the hilly, twisty-turny 2 lane highway route on the way home. I did spend a few minutes getting everything adjusted for my 5'11", 165 lb frame. I didn't find myself squirming around at all after three hours with a half hour break. I must be one of the lucky ones.

The car I hated on long drives was my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had the driver's seat angled about 5 to the left to accommodate the transmission tunnel. If you wanted to sit square to the steering wheel, you had to twist your back. Worst squirming I ever did.

I*ve put about 8000 miles on my GT with nappa leather and they do seem to be conforming a bit. Either that or my backside is now Mazda shaped.

Definitely different strokes. I think my 2018 CX-5 GT has the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. Isuzu, Mercedes, Infiniti, Acura, Nissan, Honda. All sedans except the 97 Nissan Hardbody pickup.

The armrest locations are trash though :)

Back