2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

Luckyme

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Last week I purchased the CX-5 Signature. Very impressed by the vehicle after a 10 minute test drive, took it home. A couple days later I had a 1.5 hour drive. I am so disappointed with the extra firm bolsters of the front seat. Ive tried every adjustment to make them bearable, to no avail. I am a bit larger, at 510 and 220#. My thighs and legs are killing me after any more than 20 minutes in the seat. Dealer said a seat custom shop might help, so Im taking it in tomorrow to see if they can remove some bolster, or replace with a softer foam. They told me it depends upon the airbags, etc.
Am I alone in this issue?
Ive owned 20+ new cars, everything from A Mazda B2000 and MX5😝, to Mercedes, BMWs, Infinity, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Ford Trucks, and many others. Ive never had this seat issue. I may need to trade a 2 week old MX-5 with 1000 miles if the seats cant be made more comfortable. I hate that thought, as I really like the overall CX-5 package.

I've heard this complaint from other owners, ussually larger people. The CX-5 has pretty narrow seats so they don't provide much support for bigger people. Might be time to slim down:)

A lot of new cars have hard seats. My BMW seats are rock hard. Like mattresses, it*s just a matter of personal preference. I have back issues and hate the feeling of sinking into a seat, so I prefer the stiffer support on the Mazda*s.

Went on a 1,800 mile road trip a couple weeks after buying our 2019 CX5 Sig. The first day - after about 5 hrs, my but was killing me but I just ignored it and pushed-on for another 3 hrs. Next day I didn't seem near as bothered during that 4 hr segment.
A few days later I drove back 12 hrs straight (except for food & fuel breaks). I didn't even notice the seat. In fact, it was one of the most leisurely and non-tiring trip I can remember. A lot of that was due to the vented seat and gizmos like Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function.

BTW I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. So I fill that seat.

Actually, Im on the slimmer side - and Ive had similar issues with the CX-5 seats. The leather seats were way too firm for me, so I opted for the Touring version, which were slightly better (not as stiff), but the suede is rather grippy. Ended up getting seat covers which has made the seats a little more tolerable.

And Ive had a similar experience - driven lots of other cars over the past 20+ years from a variety of brands, and never had any issues when it came to seat comfort. The CX-5 is the first one to have this issue.

Its too bad because the rest of the car is fantastic. Simply wish the seats had been designed more comfortably.

A lot of new cars have hard seats. My BMW seats are rock hard. Like mattresses, it*s just a matter of personal preference. I have back issues and hate the feeling of sinking into a seat, so I prefer the stiffer support on the Mazda*s.

I'm the same, plus don't have a wide butt. The CX-5 seats are the most comfortable I've ever had.

I'd certainly try to get the seats modified before ditching the car and eating thousand$.

I'd certainly try to get the seats modified before ditching the car and eating thousand$.

I concur - and there are a few people on here who have gotten the seats reupholstered for not a lot of money, and were pleased with the results. Given how well the rest of the vehicle is, a modification of the seats might be your best/cheapest bet in the long run.....

German cars are known for very firm seat cushions...

some are complaining about thigh support in the CX5 - maybe only Gen2

some are complaining about thigh support in the CX5 - maybe only Gen2

From what Ive gathered here, there was an issue with Gen1 vehicles having seat cushions that became too soft over time. Seems like Gen2 vehicles were designed with extra firm cushions to compensate for this. Heres hoping Gen3 vehicles hit the sweet spot in between perhaps....

They seem to have changed something between my previous 2016 GT and the 2019s. The driver*s seat was quite comfortable in the 2016, but the bolsters press on the back of my thighs above the knees in the 2019. Don*t know if it just needs wearing in, but right now I*m not looking forward to the 1000 mile drive I have to do in a few weeks. The new seats seem a little narrower too.

I've heard this complaint from other owners, ussually larger people. The CX-5 has pretty narrow seats so they don't provide much support for bigger people. Might be time to slim down:)

Don't think that's the issue. My Gen 1 seats have noticeably more aggressive bolstering, but I found the 2019 GT far more uncomfortable.

I hope the 2020 seats are better than my 2014 seats which are good for no more than about one hour driving. Ed

I hope the 2020 seats are better than my 2014 seats which are good for no more than about one hour driving. Ed

Interesting that its the opposite with my 2019. Its uncomfortable for about the first 30 minutes or so (unfortunately, the bulk of my commute) - and then it settles in a bit after that. Either way, like you mentioned, hope Mazda gets it just right with the 2020 seats....

Nobody asked for my two cents, but here they are, anyway.

I find that it might take a couple of tries to get myself situated in a comfortable position in my CX-5s seats, but once I do, theyre some of the best seats Ive ever had. Ive gone close to three hours without my butt leaving the leather, but Ive not been sore when I do get up.

Interesting that it*s the opposite with my 2019. It*s uncomfortable for about the first 30 minutes or so (unfortunately, the bulk of my commute) - and then it settles in a bit after that. Either way, like you mentioned, hope Mazda gets it *just right* with the 2020 seats....

The thing is, one size does not fit all....

The thing is, one size does not fit all....

Indeed - though I havent encountered this issue with any of the other vehicles that Ive driven in the past 20+ years, which is why it seems a little odd. The seats seem to have a narrow margin for error. Its either just right...or really off. Not a lot of flexibility in between. Still, the rest of the vehicle definitely makes up for it, and Ive kinda adjusted to the feel over time, which helps.

Hey All,

Have had my CX-5 for three months and love everything about it except the driver*s seat. The pain occurs mostly in the thigh area after about 30 minutes. I*m not overweight and have never had this happen with any other car. I*ve tried many different seating positions and cushions, etc. I don*t know if it*s simply the firm bolsters or the actual bottom of the seat itself. The portion where your butt sits is fairly soft as is the front of the seat. The portion between those two is thin and very firm. That seems to be the location of the discomfort. It seems firmer on the driver*s side as compared to passenger side. Such a disappointment since it*s a great car.

Last edited:
The really good seats seem to be wide enough to accommodate most all butts, no bolsters that encroach too much and, offer some leg support. Mazda seats seem to favor a narrower segment of the driving population. I love my 2014 except for the seats and am looking to replace it with a 2020-2021 model years Signature. The seats need to be comfortable or they may break the deal. Mazda should investigate some seats from VOLVO and other up scale vehicles. JMTs. Ed

I'm tall and thin and these seats on the 2019 sport are very uncomfortable

I don't like how the seat locks you in.. among other things...

My test drive was only about 20 minutes long or so.........
a lot of negatives didn't show up until after I bought it....

My main concern is about the cylinder deactivation problem and 'fix' .......

So, won't sink any more money into this cx5 and may have to trade it in on something
else in a year or two..........

Back