Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

Registered Member

The seat on mine was uncomfortable. Made me go to a minimulist wallet. Seats are much more comfortable now.
    2019 CX5 GT deep crystal blue mica

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterg View Post
    The seat on mine was uncomfortable. Made me go to a minimulist wallet. Seats are much more comfortable now.
    Yeh, I quit carrying in my back pocket a long time ago to alleviate back issues.

It seems that our bodies have design issues...

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I don't find my Signature seats to be terribly uncomfortable - they're not 'plush' like some people might like, but I'm a fairly big guy, so firmer seats are better for me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Yeh, I quit carrying in my back pocket a long time ago to alleviate back issues.

It seems that our bodies have design issues...
    Plus the seat bolster was in the right position where I couldn*t sit strait. Even if I carry the small wallet in my back pocket it will push out of the way.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GTR

I purchased a 2019 GTR a month ago and my biggest complaint is definitely the seats. Seat base is too small and hard. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and I've never had this issue with other cars. I know a lot of people have complained about this. Can people share their fixes? I've been looking at aftermarket seat base covers. Has anyone tried this? Taken seats to an upholsterer for modification?

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

I have a new Signature. After a couple of months and some longish drives I have no problem with the seats. I'm 5'10" so maybe taller or shorter drivers have an issue.
    '55 Mercury w/ '54 motor
    '57 Mercury
    '63 Volvo 544
    '63 Chevy 10 pick-up
    ’65 Renault R-10
    '65 Saab 93 3 cyl
    '70 Saab 94 V4
    '56 IHC S-120 4x4 pick-up
    '72 Toyota FJ-40 Landcruiser
    '74 Ford F-250 4x4 pick-up
    '73 Triumph Spitfire
    '70 VW Bug
    '84 Toyota pick-up
    '87 Toyoya pick-up
    '90 Plymouth Laser Turbo
    '93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 pick-up
    ´95 Vitara 3dr (Colombia)
    ´02 Mazda 2200 stake bed (Colombia)
    ´06 Mazda 2600 4x4 stake bed (Colombia)
    ´07 Mitsubishi Montero 3dr (Colombia)
    ´08 Nissan Frontier D22 4dr 4x4 (Colombia)
    ’15 Renault Duster Dynamique 4x4 (Colombia)
    ’20 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo (Colombia)

Registered Member
    Contributor

After 5,000 miles I have reached the intersection of breaking the seat in and getting used to it.

I find that I still occasionally shift to find a comfortable spot.

The one thing that really helped me (and that I shared before) is to follow the specific steps in the manual for adjusting the seat position (starts at the bottom of Manual Pg 2-7). Yeh, it seems like a silly thing to do (like reading the directions on how to use a coffee cup), but it really helped me. I find that Mazda has me sitting closer to the steering wheel and sitting more upright than I ever have in any other car/truck, but it's a comfortable position for the vehicle and is what the seat is designed for. I've tweaked a little from that baseline position, but not much.

You can always save your current seat settings so as to easily revert if desired.

Contributor

2019 Mazda CX-5 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    The one thing that really helped me (and that I shared before) is to follow the specific steps in the manual for adjusting the seat position (starts at the bottom of Manual Pg 2-7). Yeh, it seems like a silly thing to do (like reading the directions on how to use a coffee cup), but it really helped me. I find that Mazda has me sitting closer to the steering wheel and sitting more upright than I ever have in any other car/truck, but it's a comfortable position for the vehicle and is what the seat is designed for. I've tweaked a little from that baseline position, but not much.

You can always save your current seat settings so as to easily revert if desired.
    Same here. Seats were uncomfortable and my back would feel tired after 30-60 minutes behind the wheel with my original "tweak here-tweak there" seat position. Once I followed the manual's recommended instructions on seat adjustment I haven't had any back issues. The "correct" position felt a bit unnatural to start with but that feeling went away about halfway through my very next commute to work. It may not work for everyone but I'm satisfied with the results.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler1813 View Post
    Same here. Seats were uncomfortable and my back would feel tired after 30-60 minutes behind the wheel with my original "tweak here-tweak there" seat position. Once I followed the manual's recommended instructions on seat adjustment I haven't had any back issues. The "correct" position felt a bit unnatural to start with but that feeling went away about halfway through my very next commute to work. It may not work for everyone but I'm satisfied with the results.
    Another change I've made (based on the recommendation of a member here) is putting my hands at 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock on the steering wheel, versus the old 10-2 position. Just like the new seating position, it took a while to get used to, but I find it more functional than the old way. It provides an extra 30 degrees of steering wheel turn and feels as though I have more control. The habit was easier to pick up that I thought it would be. Maybe others here already do this and I'm late to the game...
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 11-14-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

As others have mentioned, the seats do break in after a short period. I am 5'8" and about 175 lbs and the seat fits me just fine. I learned to remove my wallet from my pants on drives that are more than a few miles a long time ago. Initially, the front part of the lower seat cushion seemed too hard and created discomfort to my thighs just above the knee. Adjusting the seat per the manual as Avoidin Deer suggests helped, and now that I have about 3800 miles on my GT-R the seat cushion has softened up some and I no longer get the pressure on the lower thighs.

Registered Member

Cx5

The seats really are terrible. Narrow base with hard bolsters. Wider back that lacks bolster support.

I have no idea what body type this would actually work for.

My hips are in pain after 30 minutes. Being a skinnier guy, I don’t have much of my own cushioning to help with the hard bolsters.

Take a turn too fast and you wind up on the lower bolster. While they’re firm, they’re not high or long enough to really hold me in place.

I have tweaked the seat multiple times following the directions. Like others have noted, I find myself sitting closer to the wheel than I normally so.

I have 10k on my car, so I don’t think they’ll break in much more. Even if they do, the width of the base is what it is.

My 97 Saturn Sl2 held me in place better and was more comfortable. Sure they didn’t look great and didn’t have heat or ventilation, but at least they didn’t hurt.

I sat in a signature in the show room a few weeks ago. It wasn’t any better.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve

I just got a new GT-R and spent 3 hours in the driver's seat on the way home from purchasing the car. I took the hilly, twisty-turny 2 lane highway route on the way home. I did spend a few minutes getting everything adjusted for my 5'11", 165 lb frame. I didn't find myself squirming around at all after three hours with a half hour break. I must be one of the lucky ones.

The car I hated on long drives was my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had the driver's seat angled about 5° to the left to accommodate the transmission tunnel. If you wanted to sit square to the steering wheel, you had to twist your back. Worst squirming I ever did.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I*ve put about 8000 miles on my GT with nappa leather and they do seem to be conforming a bit. Either that or my backside is now Mazda shaped.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GTR

The problem is that you probably aren't wearing a Samurai outfit while driving your CX-5: https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the...t/jinba-ittai/

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Definitely different strokes. I think my 2018 CX-5 GT has the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. Isuzu, Mercedes, Infiniti, Acura, Nissan, Honda. All sedans except the 97 Nissan Hardbody pickup.

The armrest locations are trash though

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast