Recall 3719F - Cylinder Deactivation Software Glitch

Woozer

Woozer
:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring
While in for unrelated warranty work (sticky nav and radio, 70.00.300 update fixed everything), they said there was a soft recall on the software that controls the rocker arms for cylinder deactivation. Deactivation was happening more often than it should -- I'd noticed when stopped in traffic I could hear and feel it going in and out of deactivation. Software update makes the deactivation less frequent. Definitely noticeable difference.

While in for unrelated warranty work (sticky nav and radio, 70.00.300 update fixed everything), they said there was a soft recall on the software that controls the rocker arms for cylinder deactivation. Deactivation was happening more often than it should -- I'd noticed when stopped in traffic I could hear and feel it going in and out of deactivation. Software update makes the deactivation less frequent. Definitely noticeable difference.

(uhm) (shrug)

Woozer, you should read the other threads about this recall and cylinder deactivation if you haven't already.

Are you sure they didn't do anything else to the car?

Not sure what you are feeling but I do not think you can feel CD going on and off. We have an 18 and can never tell if CD is on or not. But you are right, there is a recall to re-program the CD because in certain situations the Rocker arm will fall off, as discussed here before.

It is impossible to hear or feel CD. I have tried. When the engine is not under load while driving you just can not hear or feel anything happen. Most likely what you hear when stopped is the transmission clutch disengaging. At least I think it is some sort of electronically controlled clutch.

I can feel the vehicle surge when the AC cuts in and out. Is that what is being interpreted as CD?

"It is impossible to hear or feel CD."
What? It is quite easy to feel and hear on my 2019 Mazda6 2.5 NA. I know because I can see clearly on the screen when it's active. It sometimes feels as a gear shift! (when exiting CD mode). Plus, it makes a fun humming noise when on 2 cyl from the exhaust.
BTW, AC compresser on/off can even trigger the CD on/off during cruise, and THAT makes me crazy!

What? It is quite easy to feel and hear on my 2019 Mazda6 2.5 NA. I know because I can see clearly on the screen when it's active. It sometimes feels as a gear shift! (when exiting CD mode). Plus, it makes a fun humming noise when on 2 cyl from the exhaust.
BTW, AC compresser on/off can even trigger the CD on/off during cruise, and THAT makes me crazy!

This gets more amazing by the day. Crazy? Insane!

Back