America's Tires.
    I stand corrected.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring

If it was me, I would buy two Toyos. Have the America's Tire guy determine which of your three remaining tires is most worn and replace that one. Then put the two new tires on the rear.
    Last edited by DrElectron; 08-11-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by DrElectron View Post
    If it was me, I would buy two Toyos. Have the America's Tire guy determine which of your three remaining tires is most worn and replace that one. Then put the two new tires on the rear.
    Can't do that on an AWD system if there's too much variance in tread depth between all four tires, you'll burn out the system. Best thing to do is get a shaved tire from Tire Rack (been there, done that) or four new tires. O/P, I'm guessing there's a sidewall leak or a leak near the edge of the tread that's preventing a fix?
    Last edited by madar; 08-11-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by DrElectron View Post
    Why on the rear? If it was FWD, I'd put two new ones on the front, not the rear.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature; 2019 Mazda MX-5 30 AE, RF, #150/3000

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Why on the rear? If it was FWD, I'd put two new ones on the front, not the rear.
    Every professional recommendation that I've seen states to put the newest/best tires on the rear; regardless of drive wheels.
    Quote from Tire Rack:

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front.
    New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.
    2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2019 Racing Orange MX-5 Miata RF/MT 30th Anniversary Edition (9th Miata)
    29 Mazdas since 1974

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Flat tire

Most major tire companies will install new pair of tires on rear if you only need two on a FWD vehicle. Discount Tire told me it's based on recommendation by Michelin.

But like you, I'd move the new tires to front after installation simply because the front tire wear much faster than the rear on FWD vehicle. Hopefully the tread depth will be even out at certain point, and I'd rotate all 4 tires regularly.

Luckily I rotate tires frequently and I haven't had such situation for a long time.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
    Every professional recommendation that I've seen states to put the newest/best tires on the rear; regardless of drive wheels.
    Quote from Tire Rack:

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front.
    New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.
    Thanks for posting that.

But I don't understand the rationale. The fronts steer and carry most of the weight. Wouldn't they be just as susceptible to hydroplaning as the rears? And if so, I'd rather have the rears break traction than the fronts.

What am I missing?

Arrow Flat tire

Thanks for posting that.

But I don't understand the rationale. The fronts steer and carry most of the weight. Wouldn't they be just as susceptible to hydroplaning as the rears? And if so, I'd rather have the rears break traction than the fronts.

What am I missing?
    I don't think you missed anything. I asked the same question to my Discount Tire, and the answer was that's Michelin's recommendation based on their experiment. IMO front tire is always more important than rear, that's why Mazda suggests we can only put tiny spare on the rear. So I moved new tires to front by myself, after Discount Tire installed the new pair of tires to the rear.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I don't think you missed anything. I asked the same question to my Discount Tire, and the answer was that's Michelin's recommendation based on their experiment. IMO front tire is always more important than rear, that's why Mazda suggests we can only put tiny spare on the rear. So I moved new tires to front by myself, after Discount Tire installed the new pair of tires to the rear.
    If the front tires break loose before the rears, you get understeer. If the rears break before the front, you get oversteer. Understeer is easier to correct compared to oversteer, thus it is the safer option. That's why all tire repair shops and tire manufacturers will always recommend that a new pair of tires always goes on the rear.

The spare is a totally different scenario. Because the spare is smaller in diameter and in width, the safe handling characteristics of the car are severely compromised with the spare up front (vs. a more worn tire up front that simply provides less grip). Also, most drivers with common sense understand that you should be driving more carefully/slowly with a spare tire on your car, so the issues with understeer and oversteer are much, much less likely to be a concern.

Image from Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow Flat tire

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    If the front tires break loose before the rears, you get understeer. If the rears break before the front, you get oversteer. Understeer is easier to correct compared to oversteer, thus it is the safer option. That's why all tire repair shops and tire manufacturers will always recommend that a new pair of tires always goes on the rear.

The spare is a totally different scenario. Because the spare is smaller in diameter and in width, the safe handling characteristics of the car are severely compromised with the spare up front (vs. a more worn tire up front that simply provides less grip). Also, most drivers with common sense understand that you should be driving more carefully/slowly with a spare tire on your car, so the issues with understeer and oversteer are much, much less likely to be a concern.

Image from Wikipedia
    For those who have lived long enough should remember that tire manufactures and shops used to recommend a new pair of tires always goes to the front for the reason shadonoz stated earlier Ö

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

For those who have lived long enough should remember that tire manufactures and shops used to recommend a new pair of tires always goes to the front for the reason shadonoz stated earlier *
    That's great, but do you disagree with the reasoning RE: understeer vs. oversteer?

Seat belts used to be optional as well. Things change. If you want to stick to the old unsafe way, that's your prerogative. The reasons for putting a new pair of tires on the rear vs. on the front makes perfect sense to me, and tire manufacturers and tire shops currently recommend the same. I'll take their word and common sense over what used to be recommended (who knows how many) years ago.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    O/P, I'm guessing there's a sidewall leak or a leak near the edge of the tread that's preventing a fix?
    Yes.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
    This was also the recommendation at Americaís Tire, put two in the back. Unfortunately I just got the one tire to replace the busted one.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

Luckily I rotate tires frequently and I haven't had such situation for a long time.
    My tires are rotated every six months by the Mazda dealer, at the time of my check up.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

...that's why Mazda suggests we can only put tiny spare on the rear.
    Really? So, Iím in the middle of nowhere and my front tire goes outóIím SOL???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast