Third month impressions on my 2019 Mazda3

Maybe we can just attribute this to differences in driving expectations and driving style.

I find this torsion beam setup is very stable, even too neutral while cornering. There is no way what you're saying is normal. I've taken corners at and above 70mph and its very stable.

I am not sure I would be able to take a corner turn at 70 MPH.
I never did that and I believe the speed at which I would overturn would be much lower than that.
Is your car a standard version? Are you sure it was 70 MPH?

What are you people calling a corner? A 90 degree turn or a nice curved turn?

Just want to mention that this is a compact sedan not a sports car. Nobody is expecting it to "take" any kind of corner at 70 mph...

Just want to mention that this is a compact sedan not a sports car. Nobody is expecting it to "take" any kind of corner at 70 mph...

To be fair, he said his '15 ES350 took the corner just fine. That said, the Mazda3 is 300 lbs lighter and I'm sure they don't use the same tires.

To be fair, he said his '15 ES350 took the corner just fine. That said, the Mazda3 is 300 lbs lighter and I'm sure they don't use the same tires.

I'm wondering if this is a case of the tires following the grooves and ruts in the road (tramlining). My 2006 Mazda 6 used to do that constantly with the Pirelli tires that came with the car. After they were replaced with a different tire from another manufacturer the issue went away.

But it was troubling and meant you had to pay constant attention when moving along a highway or the car would get away from you. Shame, as those tires were soft, quiet and road well otherwise.

Still have the 2006. Haven't found a replacement with a stick that I enjoy driving as much although I've not had the chance to drive the 2019 Mazda 3 yet.

No I didn't say that. Someone else said about the corner. I was talking about curves on a freeway. Those are not corners.
I took a drive back at the curve I mentioned before and at 60 MPH the car started to swing slightly - so that makes it 10 MPH less than the Lexus. Minimum.
I agree the weight might be a contributing factor. It doesn't explain the fact that the Mazda6 handles that curve much better than Mazda3 and it is not much heavier.

No I didn't say that. Someone else said about the corner. I was talking about curves on a freeway. Those are not corners.
I took a drive back at the curve I mentioned before and at 60 MPH the car started to swing slightly - so that makes it 10 MPH less than the Lexus. Minimum.
I agree the weight might be a contributing factor. It doesn't explain the fact that the Mazda6 handles that curve much better than Mazda3 and it is not much heavier.

Didn't we go over this already? The Mazda3 uses a rear torsion beam suspension. The Mazda6 does not. Weight distribution might be different. Tires are probably different. Maybe the 6 and the ES were tramlining as barryso mentioned.

In the end it really doesn't matter why, it is what it is. If you want to take the corner at a higher speed, get better tires.

I am not sure I would be able to take a corner turn at 70 MPH.
I never did that and I believe the speed at which I would overturn would be much lower than that.
Is your car a standard version? Are you sure it was 70 MPH?

Yes standard GT Mazda 3. It handles highway corners and off ramps very well at high speed.

Back