CX-9 GT Remote starter - worth it ?

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Hi everyone,

I am looking at installing a remote starter for my 2018 CX-9 GT. I went through the forum and I am set on doing the install myself of a Fortin EVO-One (lots of great help on this one from this forum.)

I have also read comments on here of people being disappointed in the fact that the HVAC doesn't blow hot air at idle, rendering the remote start idling period less useful (if not useless according to some.)

My question is for those that do have remote start installed and live in cold climate (I am in Canada), do you find it useful at all (do you see any benefits) or is everyone of the same mind that it wasn't worth it. Understanding the cabin won't get toasty warm while idling, but doest it warm up faster once you get going from the engine being already up to temperature ?

I don't mind a cold cabin, but I am looking to install one for the 3 year old and the newborn to ensure the cabin doesn't take forever to warm up for them in the back seat. I had remote car starters on my 2 previous cars (one for the wife's car and the other one the car came with it), so I am not new to them.

Thanks !

Hi everyone,

I am looking at installing a remote starter for my 2018 CX-9 GT. I went through the forum and I am set on doing the install myself of a Fortin EVO-One (lots of great help on this one from this forum.)

I have also read comments on here of people being disappointed in the fact that the HVAC doesn't blow hot air at idle, rendering the remote start idling period less useful (if not useless according to some.)

My question is for those that do have remote start installed and live in cold climate (I am in Canada), do you find it useful at all (do you see any benefits) or is everyone of the same mind that it wasn't worth it. Understanding the cabin won't get toasty warm while idling, but doest it warm up faster once you get going from the engine being already up to temperature ?

I don't mind a cold cabin, but I am looking to install one for the 3 year old and the newborn to ensure the cabin doesn't take forever to warm up for them in the back seat. I had remote car starters on my 2 previous cars (one for the wife's car and the other one the car came with it), so I am not new to them.

Thanks !

I have the Fortin on my 2018 CX-9, works great for cooling down the car with A/C in the Summer and warming the cabin in the Winter. Unlike the factory starter and my old 2015 CX-5, it's not going to turn on the heat or A/C automatically, it's just whatever setting you've left your car at when you last turned it off.

I find it useful, the only annoyance with the Fortin triple lock press to remote start, is that on occasion if I fail to hear the horn on the 2nd press for locking the car I sometimes accidentally hit it a 3rd successive time and end up starting the car unintentionally.

I'm also in Canada, and while I don't have a remote start installed, I did run a few independent tests of my own to see if my 2018 warms up the cabin while idling. Here's the thread. I found that my car does warm up enough for infants (my daughter was 11 months old when I did the testing). However, other US and Canadian owners stated that it didn't warm up enough for them.

Personally, I don't start my car and let it idle to warm up. I just start it and drive. It warms up much faster that way, usually after less than 5 mins of driving. For a newborn, I'd suggest getting a car seat liner and cover to keep them warm in the cold. My wife and I used one similar to https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). Use thin layers, socks/booties, mittens and a hat when dressing baby, and you'll be perfectly fine. That's what we did with our daughter when she was a newborn. You can even put a blanket over the harness straps and tuck the excess under the baby's arms so it doesn't come loose if you wanted to.

What about installing an electric engine water jacket heater? That prewarms the coolant so the engine is up to temp and putting out heat very soon after starting.

Hi everyone,

Thanks !

I have a 2-way remote starter (Compustar) and find it useful in winter...though the cabin doesn*t get warm enough to my liking it does warm up engine faster making the cabin warm up faster once you drive the vehicle. What I also find advantageous having the starter is being able to lock/unlock/open-close trunk and start/shut off the vehicle from 3000ft away and with confirmation (via led lights on remote) and the heated seats on already (assuming you*ve left it on as your last setting same as the HVAC settings).

While I don*t use it as much during summer months (unless extremely hot to cool the cabin) it is still useful to have it esp during the extreme cold winters! So much so that I also installed a 2-Way remote starter on my CX-3!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will likely order a remote starter based on all your feedback. Sm1ke, i find the tests you ran and the whole discussion interesting. I noted that you were using a block heater which may change the results, but i am looking forward to run my own tests to find out how it does and contribute to the discussion.

For the annoying beeping and accidental starts, i read you can set the combo to lock unlock lock. This would prevent unnecessary beeping and the car starting when locking the doors.

PTGuy, i could install a block heater as you suggested. Mechanically and environmentally this is the best option, but they are kind of limited to home use where you can plug your car (usually with a timer) and the OEM model is about the same price as the remote starter. I had a ford edge that had it but ended up never using it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will likely order a remote starter based on all your feedback. Sm1ke, i find the tests you ran and the whole discussion interesting. I noted that you were using a block heater which may change the results, but i am looking forward to run my own tests to find out how it does and contribute to the discussion.

For the annoying beeping and accidental starts, i read you can set the combo to lock unlock lock. This would prevent unnecessary beeping and the car starting when locking the doors.

PTGuy, i could install a block heater as you suggested. Mechanically and environmentally this is the best option, but they are kind of limited to home use where you can plug your car (usually with a timer) and the OEM model is about the same price as the remote starter. I had a ford edge that had it but ended up never using it.

Just a note, both my Civic and my CX-9 have block heaters installed, but neither of them were used during the testing.

Block heaters are mandatory in our province unlike others in Cda...btw I only plug/use it when it is minus 18deg and colder overnight and use a timer so it does not use electricity overnight. I heard the other limitation of the Fortin is the range that is why I went with a long range 2-Way starter (and it was thrown in by dealer as part of the deal). During winter my wife would remote start the vehicle a few mins before leaving for work from her bldg w/c is beside the parkade but quite the walk...very useful to have the long range and get confirmation it started also sometimes to double check if car was indeed locked. Only annoyance of course is the added key fob (although it is tiny and only half the size of the Mazda key fob so no big deal for us). Btw, no unnecessary beeping or honking of the car whenever you remote start/lock/unlock using the 2-Way remote...only the chime from the compustar remote which is subtle and not annoying.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a province that made it mandatory to have block heaters, which province is that ?

You make a good point for the usefulness of 2 way remote starters. Personally I don't have a use for the extra range and confirmation because my car is usually not parked that far (the cars are parked in front of the home and not very far at work.) I had both systems on my previous car (my mazda 3 had a 2 way and on my ford edge it was on the factory remote), and I never missed the 2 way on the ford edge. That being said, this is all based on personal circumstances and situations, and this is good information for any one looking into remote starters option. My mazda 3 had the 2 way installed for the same reasons you said because this was my wife's car and it was parked further away at her previous work.

I purchased the Compustar 4905s kit, idata Mazda harness, and the Compustar T-12 remote for longer range. Free installation is included via Best Buy purchase, install to be performed this Thursday. I*m excited never had remote start, those who have it, say they can*t do without now. I will post a status update later.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Hey, had a lot of false starts due to the triple lock press. How do you change that setting?

People saying to just get in the vehicle and drive it to warm up, great. How do you do that when your windshield is foggy or frosty, and it takes 10-15 minutes for it to defrost? In certain climates, we have no choice but to idle and wait. Remote start allows me to start my vehicle when I get out of the shower, and by the time I am dressed and out the door, my ride is defrosted enough that I can drive right away.

People saying to just get in the vehicle and drive it to warm up, great. How do you do that when your windshield is foggy or frosty, and it takes 10-15 minutes for it to defrost? In certain climates, we have no choice but to idle and wait. Remote start allows me to start my vehicle when I get out of the shower, and by the time I am dressed and out the door, my ride is defrosted enough that I can drive right away.

RE: Defogging - Firstly, keep your windows clean. Clean windows are less prone to fogging. To defog, I set the fan to fresh air, max fan speed, and roll the windows down. This equalizes the humidity levels inside and outside of the car, which reduces fog very quickly. I start driving and gradually roll the windows up while turning up the heat (if necessary).

Ice is easy. Use an ice scraper, or carry a spray bottle with a 2:1 solution of rubbing alcohol to water. Spray it on the windshield and run the wipers. The windshield glass on some newer cars scratches easily, so I'd recommend the spray bottle for dealing with ice.

In my experience, there's really no need to let the car warm up (or cool down via A/C) unless you can't wait the 3-5 minutes it takes for the car to get to the temp you want it at.

RE: Defogging - Firstly, keep your windows clean. Clean windows are less prone to fogging. To defog, I set the fan to fresh air, max fan speed, and roll the windows down. This equalizes the humidity levels inside and outside of the car, which reduces fog very quickly. I start driving and gradually roll the windows up while turning up the heat (if necessary).

Ice is easy. Use an ice scraper, or carry a spray bottle with a 2:1 solution of rubbing alcohol to water. Spray it on the windshield and run the wipers. The windshield glass on some newer cars scratches easily, so I'd recommend the spray bottle for dealing with ice.
Done/tried it all. Still have to wait. We have lots of moisture in the air, which makes all these "tactics" useless.

In my experience, there's really no need to let the car warm up.....
And there it is. You haven't experienced it. Until you do, you will never believe in it. Come for a visit and you will see. :)

Done/tried it all. Still have to wait. We have lots of moisture in the air, which makes all these "tactics" useless.

And there it is. You haven't experienced it. Until you do, you will never believe in it. Come for a visit and you will see. :)

I'd hardly call them useless. Maybe I'm just more patient with it. Nothing wrong with that.

I've been to Vancouver, Surrey, and Kelowna. They don't call it Beautiful British Columbia for nothing! These methods worked well for me while I was visiting.

I'd hardly call them useless. Maybe I'm just more patient with it. Nothing wrong with that.
"Useless" was a bit off' some worked a little, but only saving a minute or so. I love the cold winter mornings when even after 15 minutes of defrosting, I can only see out of the lower half of the windshield.

They don't call it Beautiful British Columbia for nothing!
And that is why I am still here. :)

Thanks a lot to everyone for their response and feedback. I ended up installing a Fortin remote starter, I will see once temperature drops how well it is working.

Latest posts

Back