Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendation

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Tire recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannacx5 View Post
    I just want to thank everyone for posting all their tire reviews, recommendations and experiences. My 2017 has 33,000 miles on it now with the original tires. I'm probably looking at getting a new set put on before winter hits. At the last oil change nothing was said about the tires, but I'm sure they'll be pushing me towards replacing them the next time I go in.
    You got a GT so here's the info for that size:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Eternal Blue 2017 CX-5 GT AWD w/Premium

Thanks yrwei!

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

No yrwei Goodyear knew one of its RV tires that had problems and still gave it a higher speed rating. It knew internally that the tire would not withstand high speeds. A sudden blown tire on an RV is riskier on freeway than a sedan/Suv. Goodyear sold that tire despite deaths and knowledge it wasn't safe. Plus like you said Goodyear is ok for price.

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

I moved to Michelin Premier LTX (from COSTCO) on my last CX-5 and absolutely loved them. I would consider getting them again when the OEM's on my new CX-5 wear out.

Registered Member

I know this was a while back, but now I'm further into the actual step of buying new tires.

I'm between the generalist altimax rt43 or the bf goodrich advantage t/a LT sport

both have good ratings on tirerack. NJ driving (winters, some highway, mostly town)

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by foe84 View Post
    I know this was a while back, but now I'm further into the actual step of buying new tires.

I'm between the generalist altimax rt43 or the bf goodrich advantage t/a LT sport

both have good ratings on tirerack. NJ driving (winters, some highway, mostly town)
    I was between the 2 but going with the Generals. Having them installed tomorrow (225/55R19)
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring -
    RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 Touring)
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 GT)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

Quote Originally Posted by foe84 View Post

See here for comments on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tire:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2015 FWD GT

I almost locked to Pirelli P7 but it was only H rated, so now back to a choice between Yoko GTX, Michelin LTX, and Continetal CrossContact.

Quote Originally Posted by agog View Post
    I almost locked to Pirelli P7 but it was only H rated, so now back to a choice between Yoko GTX, Michelin LTX, and Continetal CrossContact.
    I can never understand why some CX-5 owners insisting V-rated tires. Based on specification from Mazda, the governor limited top speed is 120 mph. H-rated tires are safe to run up to 130 mph. Even Mazda itself uses H-rated tires on CX-5 Sport and Touring trims!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2015 FWD GT

I understand that and thought the same but read a couple of articles to keep OEM speed rating tires. I doubt there is some special in GT model but just wanted to stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
    I was between the 2 but going with the Generals. Having them installed tomorrow (225/55R19)
    First impressions: Happy with my decision to go with the General AltiMax RT43 225/55R19 99H. Inflated to 38 PSI (+2 over Mazda recommended). Really like the tread design, they are quiet, perform admirably in the rain and dry. Definitely a good value. Not looking forward to snow yet but confident they will do well based on previous reviews.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

SUV

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I can never understand why some CX-5 owners insisting V-rated tires. Based on specification from Mazda, the governor limited top speed is 120 mph. H-rated tires are safe to run up to 130 mph. Even Mazda itself uses H-rated tires on CX-5 Sport and Touring trims!
    Because it is not just about top speed.
    A V-rated tire will have better performance characteristics than an H-rated tire at lower speeds.

Article by Tire Rack...
    Technically, speed rating is only a measure of the tire's top speed capability. However, there is almost always a correlation between handling and speed rating since higher performance tires tend to be capable of maintaining higher top speeds for a longer period of time. While this is not always true, in the majority of cases lower speed rated tires tend to have slower steering responses and reduced dry grip.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Because it is not just about top speed.
    A V-rated tire will have better performance characteristics than an H-rated tire at lower speeds.

Article by Tire Rack...
    Technically, speed rating is only a measure of the tire's top speed capability. However, there is almost always a correlation between handling and speed rating since higher performance tires tend to be capable of maintaining higher top speeds for a longer period of time. While this is not always true, in the majority of cases lower speed rated tires tend to have slower steering responses and reduced dry grip.
    Point taken but it's like putting dancing shoes on someone with 2 left feet. Although the equipment can perform better, if you're running with stock suspension components, I would think the effects of the V rated tires would be negligible to the common driver who usually doesn't push their CX-5 anywhere close to it's limits.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Point taken but it's like putting dancing shoes on someone with 2 left feet. Although the equipment can perform better, if you're running with stock suspension components, I would think the effects of the V rated tires would be negligible to the common driver who usually doesn't push their CX-5 anywhere close to it's limits.
    Well said. For most car owners the performance advantage on V-rated tires is negligible especially on a CUV like CX-5. Besides, some H-rated tires can definitely perform better than V-rated tires with different brand or model. In other words, we can only compare the performance difference on same model between H-rated and V-rated tires, otherwise it’s meaningless.

Glad you like your new General AltiMAX™ RT43!

Registered Member

SUV

Your theory is not supported by the facts.
    Tires are the only connection your vehicle has to the road.
    Tire selection has a major impact on performance, regardless of whether or not you are "running with stock suspension components."

You are correct in one regard...
    If you always putter around in your CX-5 like a grandma driving to church, you will notice little/no difference in performance.
    You could have the cheapest T (or lower) rated tires ever made and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
    In fact, you could drive around on 4 temporary spares and not notice a difference.

However, if you enjoy spirited driving on occasion and are an attentive driver, you will notice a difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast