Tire recommendation

Hello,

Was reading through the other posts, so much info.

I'm planning on replacing my stock yokohama tires before winter. I have about 26,000 miles on them. What would be some good tires to look at?

I was looking at the General Tire Altimax, the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A sport LT (costco). I did ask the dealer and they gave me a qoute for the Yokohama Avid Ascend BW tires ($178/tire)

Just put the second set of General Altimax RT43 on ours. Went 45,000 miles on the first set with no issues, they weren't quite to the wear bars but I don't push it on things like that. I like to hustle when driving by myself and they handle well for what they are.

so they are long lasting tires? i saw somewhere that these would be budget tires and not last as long. The Yokohama Avid Ascend I see on tirerack, but not sure if its the Avid Ascend BW the dealer quoted me.

Hello,

Was reading through the other posts, so much info.

I'm planning on replacing my stock yokohama tires before winter. I have about 26,000 miles on them. What would be some good tires to look at?

I was looking at the General Tire Altimax, the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A sport LT (costco). I did ask the dealer and they gave me a qoute for the Yokohama Avid Ascend BW tires ($178/tire)
Since your stock tires are Yokohama, I assume you need 225/65R17.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. And:

It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!

General AltiMAX RT43 has been popular in this forum. Most CX-5 owners who have used them giving positive reviews. Just make sure to get H rated 225/65R17, as there's much inferior T-rated which is also available for the same size and price. And make sure to add 2~3 psi than recommended 34 psi for all tires if you feel the performance is not as expected.

Here's a partial list of 225/65R17 tires with specs for your information.

Here are partial list of many 225/65R17 tires with specs. I still feel General AltiMAX RT43 is the best buy with excellent reviews. And Continental is a major tire company based in Germany.

Highway All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Firestone Destination LE2225/65R17
102H
520 A B44 psi12/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
5 Years
$131.36
- TR
Michelin Defender LTX M/S225/65R17
102H
720 A A44 psi10.5/32"29 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$162.07
- TR
Yokohama Geolandar G91AP225/65R17
100H
280 B A44 psi10/32"26 lbs.OEM - None$214.25
- TR

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental TrueContact225/65R17
102T
800 A B44 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$128.99
- TR
Michelin Defender T+H225/65R17
102H
820 A B44 psi10/32"27 lbs.80,000 Miles
6 Years
$166.07
- TR

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
General AltiMAX RT43225/65R17
102H
700 A A51 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$113.99
- TR
Yokohama AVID Ascend225/65R17
102H
740 A A51 psi12/32"28 lbs.75,000 Miles
5 Years
$130.50
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental CrossContact
LX20
225/65R17
102T
740 A B57 psi12/32"27.7 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$128.88
- TR
Michelin Latitude Tour225/65R17
100T
720 A B44 psi10/32"25 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$155.23
- TR
Michelin Premier LTX225/65R17
102H
620 A A44 psi8.5/32"25 lbs.60,000 Miles
6 Years
$155.07
- TR
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
All Season Plus
225/65R17
102H
740 A A44 psi11/32"28 lbs.65,000 Miles$139.97
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Highway All-Season Tires:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - #2 out of 41
Firestone Destination LE2 - #6 out of 41
Yokohama Geolandar G91A - #34 out of 41

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact - #1 out of 21
Michelin Defender T+H - #1 out of 21 (tied)

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
General AltiMAX RT43 - #4 out of 47
Yokohama AVID Ascend - #13 out of 47

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Michelin Premier LTX - #2 out of 27
Continental CrossContact LX20 - #4 out of 27
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus - #4 out of 27 (tied)
Michelin Latitude Tour - #10 out of 27

Any tire in this table will be much better in every category than stock Yokohama Geolandar G91A. And don't go to Mazda dealer for your tire need. Go to Discount Tire or America's Tire for price matching, free tire balancing, rotation and puncture repair. You can also get immediate credit for next purchase if the current tires don't reach the miles from tread-life warranty,

I replaced my stock Yokohama tires with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred for both my CX-5 and Odyssey. They are an 80k mile tire. They are very quiet and the ride is noticeably more comfortable. My stock Yokohama tires were done around 36k on the CX-5 (and were rotated religiously every 7500 miles). The inside edge was gone first due to the aggressive rear camber. If tires weren't so expensive I would have put aftermarket tires on right after purchase as the car performs that much better.

My Goodyears have about 40k on them and they are still good to go. About half of the tread remains as promised. Currently $144 a tire at Discount Tire (not including installation costs). Free lifetime rotations and balancing there with purchase. This set will likely have to be ordered there but it only took a day for mine to arrive at the shop for installation. $50 mail in rebate if you open a DiscountTire credit card (I've got too many cards so I'd likely pass on that one lol), $60 mail in rebate through Goodyear. Goodyear is awesome at honoring their rebate in my experience too. I received mine very quickly for both my CX-5 and Odyssey tire purchases.

I had amazing service from my LX20 Cross Contacts, so I will be getting LX25 CrossContacts this go around. I think I can get another 4500mi or so out of my tires, and when the time comes, I'll upgrade to LX25's. last treadware was 6/32 on the rear (moved to the front) and 5/32 on the front (moved to the rear). I presume 2, if not all 4, will be at <4/32 this next rotation at 20K.

Just put the second set of General Altimax RT43 on ours. Went 45,000 miles on the first set with no issues, they weren't quite to the wear bars but I don't push it on things like that. I like to hustle when driving by myself and they handle well for what they are.

Here you go. Roll with it.

From my limited experience I would stick to Michelins / General. I got my General from Discount Tire for about $650 - installed and lifetime hazard warranty, I also had a 50 rebate and 100 off from DT for install towards my wife's tires. They have already repaired a nail and it comes with 6-10K miles rotations included. DT is a franchisee but one we have here is pretty good - so read reviews.
From my experience I would not get Goodyear even at 50% discount. Their RV tire fiasco and in general quality is way below others.

I am very satisfied with the Yokohama Avid Ascend tires, we already have close to 30k miles on them, with lots of life left. Handling, ride comfort, and noise level are all improved over the GEOLANDAR stock tires.

I just want to thank everyone for posting all their tire reviews, recommendations and experiences. My 2017 has 33,000 miles on it now with the original tires. I'm probably looking at getting a new set put on before winter hits. At the last oil change nothing was said about the tires, but I'm sure they'll be pushing me towards replacing them the next time I go in. :)

From my experience I would not get Goodyear even at 50% discount. Their RV tire fiasco and in general quality is way below others.

No offense taken, but name any tire maker and you're going to find massive litigation. Worker safety, car accidents, you name it and you'll find a lawsuit against any major company. In researching the Assurance trim I found nothing concerning regarding their quality vs the competition. They're rated fairly well by consumers at DT.

No offense taken, but name any tire maker and you're going to find massive litigation. Worker safety, car accidents, you name it and you'll find a lawsuit against any major company. In researching the Assurance trim I found nothing concerning regarding their quality vs the competition. They're rated fairly well by consumers at DT.

Litigation is one thing, knowing that your tires are killing quite a few people and still selling it for a long time afterwards is another. If they were Michelin quality - I guess it would be ok, but they are pretty avg. quality and I would not trust a Goodyear on my car. Probably get a Chinese no brand $50 tire before a Goodyear if it comes to that.

Oooookay.

I*m going to check out of this forum for a while. You try to make an honest suggestion and you get an unfounded *Buy a $50 Chinese tire* line in response. Whatever.

Peace.

An excellent on/off road tire is the Michelin Latitude Cross. I have used a set on my prior vehicle and am hoping to find a size compatible with my soon to be delivered CX 5.

Oooookay.

I*m going to check out of this forum for a while. You try to make an honest suggestion and you get an unfounded *Buy a $50 Chinese tire* line in response. Whatever.

Peace.
Honestly, I believe Kaps mistakenly took the Goodyear tire for that Firestone / Ford Explorer fiasco many years ago. But I personally won't buy any Goodyear tires nowadays simply because I feel there're better tires out there with better price.

I just want to thank everyone for posting all their tire reviews, recommendations and experiences. My 2017 has 33,000 miles on it now with the original tires. I'm probably looking at getting a new set put on before winter hits. At the last oil change nothing was said about the tires, but I'm sure they'll be pushing me towards replacing them the next time I go in. :)
You got a GT so here's the info for that size:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

No yrwei Goodyear knew one of its RV tires that had problems and still gave it a higher speed rating. It knew internally that the tire would not withstand high speeds. A sudden blown tire on an RV is riskier on freeway than a sedan/Suv. Goodyear sold that tire despite deaths and knowledge it wasn't safe. Plus like you said Goodyear is ok for price.

I moved to Michelin Premier LTX (from COSTCO) on my last CX-5 and absolutely loved them. I would consider getting them again when the OEM's on my new CX-5 wear out.

I know this was a while back, but now I'm further into the actual step of buying new tires.

I'm between the generalist altimax rt43 or the bf goodrich advantage t/a LT sport

both have good ratings on tirerack. NJ driving (winters, some highway, mostly town)

Back