2013~2016 engine oil survey

avi1777

16.5 2.5awd
hi,
the oil spec of the non turbo cx5 is very wide and i know the car can deal with a lot of oil specs but wanted to know what type and brand people use.
im a bit of an oil freak and like to use the best lubes.
bought my 2.5 awd non turbo 2016.5 5 months ago with 20 k miles now and been using the castrol magnatec stop start 5w30 a5.
would love to here what you use and if the skyactiv engine works smother with some brands then others,
tnx.

Most here use 0w-20 oil as that is the North American specification for the non-turbo engine. People love the Mazda Or Idemitsu Moly oil. I use whatever I can get cheapest with rebates. To date I*ve used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel economy as well as Extended Performance, Pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil Signature Series (before I discovered Mobil1 rebates).

Any modern API approved 0w-20, 5w-20 or 5w-30 will treat these engines right.

As far as what I*ve run, I*ve used the following; Mag1 0w20, Mobil Super Syn 0w20, Mobil 1 EP 0w20, SynPower 0w20, Synthetic MaxLife 0w20, Citgo Supergard Synthetic 5w30.

In my stash I have Valvoline DuraBlend, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 AFE, Idemitsu and Quaker State.

Any modern API approved 0w-20, 5w-20 or 5w-30 will treat these engines right.

As far as what I*ve run, I*ve used the following; Mag1 0w20, Mobil Super Syn 0w20, Mobil 1 EP 0w20, SynPower 0w20, Synthetic MaxLife 0w20, Citgo Supergard Synthetic 5w30.

In my stash I have Valvoline DuraBlend, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 AFE, Idemitsu and Quaker State.

what egde r u using and have u noticed any difference in the noise levels with one oil or another?
i love castrol,cant get the idemitsu here.
tnx

Last edited:
what egde r u using and have u noticed any difference in the noise levels with one oil or another?
i love castrol,cant get the idemitsu here.
tnx

I've got Edge 10w-30 and Edge EP 0w-20.

I can't say I've noticed an audible difference with Castrol. The only oil that I've ever noticed a difference in this arena was Quaker State Ultimate Durability in a Ram 4.7l I used to own. Made that engine run buttery smooth/quiet. In the Mazda I've not noticed a difference between brands.

tnk u for your reply,do u know what spescs was the edge5w30,a5,a3,dexos1 or2?
many type of edge want to know whats good for us,
tnx.

When I had dealer free oil changes they were initially using Mazda Moly 0w20 oil before switching to Castrol Edge 0w20. When they got bought out and the deal ended, I started doing them myself using the 5 qt. jug Castrol Edge 0w20. I decided to give 5w30 a shot this summer as I was burning through the 0w20 enough to need to add a quart on longer oil change intervals. So far so good. They were out of the Castrol Edge 5w30 when I did my last oil change, so I am using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 right now. So far been running great for the last 2k miles since the last change.

My UOA's using the Castrol Edge 0w20 have all returned great results. I'll be curious how things look for the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

tnk u for your reply,do u know what spescs was the edge5w30,a5,a3,dexos1 or2?
many type of edge want to know whats good for us,
tnx.

Edge 10w-30 meets SN Plus, GF-5 and A1/B1 specifications.

Please note though, Mazda does not call for a particular ACEA specification nor do they recommend 10w-30. If you're under warranty, for the time being I would shy away from 10w-30.

At operating temperature a 5w-30 and 10w-30 will have almost the same viscosity so there's truly no need (in this application) to use a 10w-30 over a 5w-30 anyway. Add in a colder climate and you'd definitely be better served by 5w-30.

ye i know,every manual is different its strange,in mine it says 5w30 api sj to sn snd ilsac 2to5.im quite happy with tha castrol stop start a5 the car seems to like it quiet and no oil consumption.i live in israel so its hot as hell.

ye i know,every manual is different its strange,in mine it says 5w30 api sj to sn snd ilsac 2to5.im quite happy with tha castrol stop start a5 the car seems to like it quiet and no oil consumption.i live in israel so its hot as hell.
For some reason we in the US always get "one size fits all" treatment. Tire pressure is the one (34 psi for 17" tires, and 36 psi for 19", gen-1 CX-5)), and engine oil viscosity is another (0w-20 only).

But other regions will get all kind of different viscosity on oil, and I may try 10W-50 ILSAC GF-II if I were in Israel! ;)

x5LtHuM.png

srource:
http://idn.tweddle.com/media/mazda/81a9d_CX-5_8DV5-EE-14L-R_Edition1_web_OM_LR.pdf

Back