2017~2024 Fuel Grade

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I have read that with the 2.5 motor using Extra vs Regular gas contributes nothing to performance whatsoever. However according to Mazda the turbo motor will produce 227 hp on regular but 250 hp on extra. Quite a difference. So is it only the turbo that can take advantage of higher octane fuel?

I have read that with the 2.5 motor using Extra vs Regular gas contributes nothing to performance whatsoever. However according to Mazda the turbo motor will produce 227 hp on regular but 250 hp on extra. Quite a difference. So is it only the turbo that can take advantage of higher octane fuel?

Yes, only the turbo and then, only over ~4k RPM.

Yes, only the turbo and then, only over ~4k RPM.
Exactly.

Here's the torque curve:

TC.png

source: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/12/2019-mazda-cx-5-turbo-first-drive-your-italian-alternative/

YES! The NA motor will also make more HP on higher octane, as the ECU adjusts the timing to control knock, and it can advance the timing more on the higher octane fuel.

Mazda only publishes the figures for the NA motor based on the low 87 octane. However independent dyno testing of the 2.0 Skyactiv motor shows the Mazda gains several HP with higher octane fuel, as the ECU adjusts the timing as available by the fuel and knock.

YES! The NA motor will also make more HP on higher octane, as the ECU adjusts the timing to control knock, and it can advance the timing more on the higher octane fuel.

Mazda only publishes the figures for the NA motor based on the low 87 octane. However independent dyno testing of the 2.0 Skyactiv motor shows the Mazda gains several HP with higher octane fuel, as the ECU adjusts the timing as available by the fuel and knock.

I*m betting it*s nothing like the 23 HP gain from the turbo since the NA engine is already highly compressed.

I'd love to see those charts if you've got em.

It won't make MORE horsepower, it'll keep the timing from retarding in conditions like hot dry weather so as to keep it's current power.

It won't make MORE horsepower, it'll keep the timing from retarding in conditions like hot dry weather so as to keep it's current power.
Exactly!

Mazda designed its 2.5L by not taking advantage of higher octane fuel in its ECU programming. The factory ECU won't advance the timing for higher octane fuel, but only retard the timing for severe conditions. That's why the tuners have the room to modify the code getting more horsepower out of the engine with higher octane fuel.

And every engine assembled from factory will have some variance on horsepower due to tolerance among many engine parts . Not every SkyActiv-G 2.5L can produce said 187 hp with 87 octane gas. As the results some engines are more efficient than others, hence some see their fuel economy better than others even thought the driving style is similar.

I'd love to see those charts if you've got em.

I have posted them every time this question gets answered incorrectly here. I on the other hand, I believe the data, the dyno, the science, and Dave Coleman.

The last time I posted this data, you saw and thanked me for it Ed

I have posted them every time this question gets answered incorrectly here. I on the other hand, I believe the data, the dyno, the science, and Dave Coleman.

Yep I remember that being posted. I think end of the day the cost of premium fuel for what you get is not worth it. If you really want to go that route, get your CX-5 tuned for 91 or 93 octane (depending on your area).

Yep I remember that being posted. I think end of the day the cost of premium fuel for what you get is not worth it. If you really want to go that route, get your CX-5 tuned for 91 or 93 octane (depending on your area).

Yes, it is not very cost efficient for what you get. But to say it has no effect as others suggested, would be incorrect.

Back