2017~2024 Fuel Grade

I have posted them every time this question gets answered incorrectly here. I on the other hand, I believe the data, the dyno, the science, and Dave Coleman.

Please post them again since it's almost universally believed that timing will retard but not advance in response to octane rating and knocking.

Many of us haven't seen your posts, and others may have forgotten.

Even just links. Would it kill ya to do it again? :)

I can post live data from the obdii on 91, but someone has to post data from 87 and we can compare how far the advance can go on each.

I can post live data from the obdii on 91, but someone has to post data from 87 and we can compare how far the advance can go on each.

It would have to be with identical weather conditions.

It would have to be with identical weather conditions.
And identical vehicle. Each engine will have different performance from factory. If the dyno testing with different gasoline grades on the same CX-5 under the same environment, the increase of several hps still cant prove Mazda did something such as advancing the timing to higher octane gas. It can be other causes or within performance variance for each dyno testing.

If Mazda did take advantage of higher octane gas on SA-G 2.5L, theyd say so and it wont be just several hps (see 2.5T). And the tuners wouldnt have too much room to work on to increase the horsepower with higher octane gas like they currently did.

Please post them again since it's almost universally believed that timing will retard but not advance in response to octane rating and knocking.

Many of us haven't seen your posts, and others may have forgotten.

Even just links. Would it kill ya to do it again? :)

Not trouble at all. Here is one of the last ones.

http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_...46/files/20168/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL2.pdf
http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_redirect/cms.ipressroom.com.s3.amazonaws.com/46/files/20168/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL2.pdf

Somewhere else there are more dynocharts that show the diff between grades, I am looking...(confused)

Not trouble at all. Here is one of the last ones.

http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_...46/files/20168/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL2.pdf
http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_redirect/cms.ipressroom.com.s3.amazonaws.com/46/files/20168/Premium-Fuel-REPORT-FINAL2.pdf

Somewhere else there are more dynocharts that show the diff between grades, I am looking...(confused)

Thanks for that. All it seems to say is that there is no advantage in any respect to using premium when it's designed for regular, but most of us agree on that.

Looking forward to anything else.

Thanks for that. All it seems to say is that there is no advantage in any respect to using premium when it's designed for regular, but most of us agree on that.

That report I posted has the dyno charts and the 3 horsepower gain for the Mazda skyactiv 2.0 motor in it the Mazda motor was one of the only ones to notice a gain.

The same Mazda motors are rated at different HP ratings all over the world due to variances in fuel quality available.

Last edited:

Yeah, 3-hp increase, from 126.xx hp to 129.xx hp (2.36% gain) on dyno test for maximum horsepower with premium gas is insignificant to say the best. Use 87-octane ethanol-free gas may have more gain on horsepower than this.

Did I mention that the maximum horsepower is 155 hp on SkyActiv-G 2.0L based on Mazda's specification?

That report I posted has the dyno charts and the 3 horsepower gain for the Mazda skyactiv 2.0 motor in it the Mazda motor was one of the only ones to notice a gain.

The same Mazda motors are rated at different HP ratings all over the world due to variances in fuel quality available.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just read the summaries and findings. It's a lot of info. I'll look again.

edit: interesting. They clearly think it's insignificant, but it is measurable. Wonder how the 2.5 would fare.

You mentioned that Dave Coleman had something to say about it? He's the best source I know of. Straight shooter, even if he is a spokesman. If there's something about Mazda's engine management, he should know.

Last edited:
Did I mention that the maximum horsepower is 155 hp on SkyActiv-G 2.0L based on Mazda's specification?

Similar discrepancies with the Dodge and Toyota. Wheel HP vs crank maybe?

As far as I know difference between North America and other countries is the compression. North American engines have lower compression ratio so that they can run on 87 grade.
In Europe and other countries they dont have such low grade (and octane is measured differently but still 87 is lower that whats available in Europe as comparison).
Horsepower does not matter plus it peaks in so high rpms in non turbo engines that most people rarely drive in that way. What matters more is torque and that is what you feel and moves the car primarily in day to day scenarios

I agree that non ethanol fuel is better but its not available everywhere nowadays and slowly would be disappearing.

I drive on 91 only for other reasons and I am happy with it. But as we have said many times, everybody is free to put what they want. The horsepower torque benefit is too small for non turbo engine.
For the turbo engine its another matter. It is better for it.

From what I gather, Mazda's 2.0 engine does produce 2-3% more hp on 93 vs 87. The charts on pages 16-17 show that in highway driving, there is little to no difference in ignition timing data. During aggressive driving, there is a notable increase in ignition timing. Thus the statement made by mazdadude in post #5 is accurate, IF the 2.5 motor behaves the same as the 2.0. I don't know if anyone has tested the 2.5 engine in a similar fashion.

All that aside, 93 is usually over 20% more expensive than 87. Paying 20% more for a 2-3% return on a 126hp engine hardly seems worth it, BUT we are free to fill the tank with whatever we choose.

Back