Brake Fluid Drain/Fill, Mazda dealer says NO

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
I called to schedule my 16 CX-5 for service at the dealer. Among the things I wanted done was to drain/fill brake fluid. Mazda service person told me Mazda says not to mess with the brake Fluid? WTF

I have 24,000 miles on the ODO.

Thoughts?

I call shenanigans.

There is no set time to change the brake fluid in your vehicle. The timing varies by driving conditions, but a good rule of thumb is to check it during regular oil changes, and expect to change it every four to five years. Signs that you should get your brake fluid checked immediately include fluid that has a burnt odor, is not clear or transparent, or is at a lower level than it's supposed to be.

Mine started to turn brown at about 2 1/2 years. I changed it around 40K miles.

Dealer probably meant don't mess with it........yet.

No, I pressed her on it. She said Mazda recommends against changing the fluid. Not sure if they only want it changed when the brakes are replaced or what.
I'll talk to a tech when I bring the car in next week. This is the only dealer I've ever encountered that refuses to do service.
They've been a Mazda dealer for at least 40 years. I've bought two Mazda's from them previously.

That's ridiculous. It's well known that water in brake fluid leads to poor performance and possible failure of ABS components due to corrosion. Flush the brake fluid whenever water content is 2% or higher.

No, I pressed her on it. She said Mazda recommends against changing the fluid. Not sure if they only want it changed when the brakes are replaced or what.
I'll talk to a tech when I bring the car in next week. This is the only dealer I've ever encountered that refuses to do service.
They've been a Mazda dealer for at least 40 years. I've bought two Mazda's from them previously.

Is it possible the dealer was confused with ATF instead of brake fluid?

I called to schedule my 16 CX-5 for service at the dealer. Among the things I wanted done was to drain/fill brake fluid. Mazda service person told me Mazda says not to mess with the brake Fluid? WTF

I have 24,000 miles on the ODO.

Thoughts?
I agree with Arcticshade as usually people say brake fluid flush, but for our SkyActiv-Drive transmission we use drain-and-fill.

Although it's not listed on our US maintenance schedule, Brake fluid flush is actually listed on CX-5 maintenance schedule with 2-year interval in other regions. We can check brake fluid moisture level, and do the flush if it's 2% or higher.

For your 2016 CX-5, it won't hurt to replace your brake fluid at this time. It's time, not mileage, as the measurement for brake fluid replacement if you don't check the moisture level. In my experience, I did the first brake fluid change after 20 years at 182K miles on my 1998 Honda CR-V. Like Mazda, there's no maintenance schedule for brake fluid change. There's no ill-effect for the brake fluid after that many years. The only thing I regret is I should get a cheap brake fluid moisture tester and see the moisture level on the 20-year-old brake fluid.

As a general rule of thumb, I have the brake fluid replaced at every brake service. The average humidity here in southern Cali is typically high when the car is in the garage - night and early morning, so that may allow the many year separation between changes without adverse consequences.
The cost is minimal, so why not have it done when it is most convenient - during change of brake pads? (at minimum)

That would be too long an interval for me. At 7 years 70k my original brakes still had life in them. 3 years is a very good rule of thumb. You really don*t water ruining the ABS components over the long term. Fluid is much cheaper than a brake system failure :D

That's ridiculous. It's well known that water in brake fluid leads to poor performance and possible failure of ABS components due to corrosion. Flush the brake fluid whenever water content is 2% or higher.

I don't think moisture content is a big worry anymore since the system is tight. I've read that the bigger problem is additive breakdown in the fluid.

Yeah - can't wait until I ask the dealer to change the ATF fluid. That should be interesting.

What do you mean by drain & fill? I flush my Brake fluid when I change brake pads which may be 3 to 6 years and never a problem. Ed

What do you mean by drain & fill? I flush my Brake fluid when I change brake pads which may be 3 to 6 years and never a problem. Ed

My main objective was to have the dealers service remove the existing brake fluid and put in new fluid. If it requires a flush - fine. I don't care how they do it as long as it's an approved method. Based on what the service writer said over the phone they don't do it per Mazda. It's possible she just sets up appointments and doesn't know what she's talking about.

People still go to the dealer to let them touch their cars. Here you go...

Dealers did not touch my cars since new.

Brake flush done at 44K in both. At least I know what got out and what got in in terms of fluids.

That would be too long an interval for me. At 7 years 70k my original brakes still had life in them. 3 years is a very good rule of thumb. You really don*t water ruining the ABS components over the long term. Fluid is much cheaper than a brake system failure :D

Remember that many drivers accelerate and brake more aggressively than others. The mileage and time mean nothing if the number of aggressive actuations is high. I see drivers every day who are accelerating toward a stop sign or red light, and then slamming on their brakes at the last couple of seconds. Their pads will not last nearly as long as my pads will. Also, some people live on steep hills which guarantees more brake wear.

I don't think moisture content is a big worry anymore since the system is tight. I've read that the bigger problem is additive breakdown in the fluid.

Yeah - can't wait until I ask the dealer to change the ATF fluid. That should be interesting.

tight? Is the braking system completely sealed and not open to the atmosphere at all?

I think sealed like the AC is considered a sealed unit but, all seals are not 99.9999% sealed

So many clueless people at a dealer, you gotta go in person so you can interpret who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about and who does. Luckily the guys at my choice dealer are generally knowledgable dudes. They know me by name since I'm always there for parts lol (almost never for service).

tight? Is the braking system completely sealed and not open to the atmosphere at all?

It couldn't be totally sealed or the fluid in the reservoir would never go down as pads/rotors depleted.

Last edited:
The fluid level in the master cylinder goes down over time because pad wear allows the caliper pistons to move further inward, pulling fluid from the reservoir.

The fluid level in the master cylinder goes down over time because pad wear allows the caliper pistons to move further inward, pulling fluid from the reservoir.

But only if an equal volume of air enters the reservoir. Otherwise there'd be a vacuum and it couldn't draw-down the brake fluid.

Back