AC Fan Blower sometimes not working

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT (2.5L engine with 6-speed auto trans). About a year ago, the AC fan blower started to make noise when I have it turned on half way. Took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong. They just cleaned something and the noise went away for a while. A few months later, the noise came back. I didnt pay much attention to it since the AC was working and cold air was blowing. But, 2 months ago, one day I stated the car and turned the AC on and the blower just stopped blowing air completely. I drove for a while and played with the AC controls and it started blowing air. Took it to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem. They checked everything related to the AC and said there was nothing wrong. Today, it did it again. After starting he car and turning the AC, no air was blowing. After driving for a while and playing with the AC controls, the blower started blowing air. Now, this is the second time it does this and in both cases, it happened after starting the car. Im planning to take it to the dealer again, but I just dont have faith in their ability to find out the cause of this problem since its intermittent. I tried searching on this forum and the web with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this problem?

I think the dealer didn't check all the electrical plugs and grounds. Could be something is causing the blower impeller to stall, like a piece of the AC filter. Ed

I think the dealer didn't check all the electrical plugs and grounds. Could be something is causing the blower impeller to stall, like a piece of the AC filter. Ed

Good points. Im trying to gather as much information on what could be causing this before I take it to the dealer. Im planning to have more discussions with their technicians this time on what they're doing to fix this problem.

I looked through several web sites for a TSB on this particular problem, I couldnt find any. I checked 4 years of CX-5 (2013 2016). I even looked at Mazda3 (Years: 2014-2018) since it uses the same blower motor (Same part number). There are TSBs for other AC problems, but not this particular one. Im disappointed at Mazda. I think they shouldve issued a TSB for this one. I think it is more common than what Mazda wants us to believe.

Anyway, the problem has gotten worse over the past few weeks. I am now convinced that the blower motor is the problem. Here are the symptoms and why I believe it is the blower motor:

1. The blower makes noise although not consistent. Sometimes, its louder than others, but its almost always there. Here is a YouTube video of someone having the same noise problem from an older CX-5, but unlike mine, this one has a manual blower control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4aqV3XNoLI

2. The blower has gotten weaker. I now have it set on maximum speed and it feels like its set on quarter of the speed. Sometime, out of the blue, it will blast air in full speed, but does not last long.

3. After starting the car, the blower will not come on until driving for a while. The frequency of this happening has increased. It now happens 2 to 3 times a week. If you watch the video above, you will notice the same problem happening when the guy turns the car off and back on. He struggles to get the AC to blow air again.

Ill be taking the car to the Dealership, but I have a feeling, things will not go well and they will ask me to pay for the replacement of the blower motor, even though the problem started a couple of months prior to Warranty expiration.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 CX-5 and I have replaced the blower motor once. Now it seems I need to do the same thing. Blower motor will not kick in. I have to tap below the glove compartment for it to kick in. The link to the YouTube video is an example of what it has been doing before hand. Even though the cabin air filter needed to be replaced. I figured that was the issue and blower was over heating. Now it wont start unless I tap on it. Two blower motors in 6 years should not happen.

Sorry, I havent updated this post lately. Anyway, I did take my car to the dealership in September and rather than arguing with them and wasting my time, I decided to just purchase the fan blower myself and have them install it for me (It was around $160 OEM). They charged me little for the installation since I did it with other work. Anyway, after installation, the problem was fixed. No noise and air is blowing as should be. It has been running now for almost three months, but sometime I do hear a little noise, although its not noticeable most of the time. You have to listen for it to notice it.

I have a 2013 CX-5 and I have replaced the blower motor once. Now it seems I need to do the same thing. Blower motor will not kick in. I have to tap below the glove compartment for it to kick in. The link to the YouTube video is an example of what it has been doing before hand. Even though the cabin air filter needed to be replaced. I figured that was the issue and blower was over heating. Now it wont start unless I tap on it. Two blower motors in 6 years should not happen.

Like I said earlier, I think this problem is more common than what Mazda wants us to believe. They really should take ownership of this issue. I just replaced my fan blower three months ago as I mentioned in my post above and I would not be surprised to have to change it again in a couple of years or sooner.

I own several vehicles from different brands and I dont recall having to replace a fan blower for any of them, even though some of them are 10 years or older.

Does anyone from this thread have any meaningful updates? We just purchased a 2013 CX-5 GTR and are now having the same issue. Right as it has started to snow, the blower and heat work arbitrarily. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to when it operates and when it doesn't, with the only exception (thus far) being that it doesn't appear to stop working after it has started (as in, it doesn't randomly stop while driving.) It's just that sometimes we can turn the car on, drive for twenty minutes, the entire time changing the AC and heat settings, and it won't turn on at any point. Incredibly frustrating...

Well I just meant, what keeps making the blower go out. I agree with their sentiment -- replacing the blower every three years shouldn't be necessary. Couldn't it be an indication of another issue? That's what I was checking on

Like I said earlier, I think this problem is more common than what Mazda wants us to believe. They really should take ownership of this issue. I just replaced my fan blower three months ago as I mentioned in my post above and I would not be surprised to have to change it again in a couple of years or sooner.

I own several vehicles from different brands and I dont recall having to replace a fan blower for any of them, even though some of them are 10 years or older.
Maybe keep the old motor for inspection to see why it failed.

-- replacing the blower every three years shouldn't be necessary. ….
And perhaps it shouldn't be replaced at all. Without diagnosis, you have no idea if the blower motor in your vehicle is having a problem, or if it's not starting up for some other reason.

Add another CX5 2016 to the list. I’ve replaced the blower once already. Stopped working. Didn’t start blowing until I hit it below the glove compartment (does anyone still wear gloves???).

Will take it in and see what they can find. This does appear to be a bigger issue than Mazda believes.

I have similar problem. Eventually the blower doesn't turn on at all. I replaced the blower resistor first. But later realized the old resistor was working fine (by using the multimeter to check, procedure in the link) https://www.samarins.com/glossary/blower-motor-resistor.html.

Then I thought it is the blower motor. I use the multimeter to check but was confirmed the motor was fine (use continuity test to check the motor itself). Then, I decided to check the blower relay which is called "Heater" in the main fuse block in the engine bay. You can test it with a 9V battery to see if it clicks. Mine doesn't click at all and no measurement read. Replaced the relay with OEM part (G110-67-730) and the problem solved. Now, the car is ready in time before the summer wave.

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and experienced similar issues with the blower. Here is a summary:

Invoice/RO #: 452043 (May 2019) - Complaint of cooling / temperature issues
Invoice/RO #: 453584 (June 2019) - Installed new blower motor #1
Invoice/RO #: 460866 (September 2019) - Complaint of cooling / temperature issues
Invoice/RO #: 480673 (August 2020) - Installed new blower motor #2
Invoice/RO #: 494521/494283 (April 2021) - Installed new blower motor #3
Invoice/RO #: 505086 (September 2021) - Installed new blower motor #4

All work was done at a Mazda dealership service department. During September 2021 when the new blower was installed, the dealership kept my car for approximately 8 hours trying to figure out the cause of the numerous blower motor failures, but could not determine any reason. WTF.

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and experienced similar issues with the blower. Here is a summary:

Invoice/RO #: 452043 (May 2019) - Complaint of cooling / temperature issues
Invoice/RO #: 453584 (June 2019) - Installed new blower motor #1
Invoice/RO #: 460866 (September 2019) - Complaint of cooling / temperature issues
Invoice/RO #: 480673 (August 2020) - Installed new blower motor #2
Invoice/RO #: 494521/494283 (April 2021) - Installed new blower motor #3
Invoice/RO #: 505086 (September 2021) - Installed new blower motor #4

All work was done at a Mazda dealership service department. During September 2021 when the new blower was installed, the dealership kept my car for approximately 8 hours trying to figure out the cause of the numerous blower motor failures, but could not determine any reason. WTF.
Wow. Just wow. Even my dog tries something different when something isn't working for him.

Back