I want to do Brake job on 2017 CX 5 GT but cannot find exact info...

Hello..my first post, won't be the last. I would like to do a brake job (routine maintenance) on my CX 5. It only has 31k miles on it and the dealer wanted to charge me $265 to do it. That seemed expensive given the parts only add up to roughly 120 bucks. So I started researching and saw several posts on CX 5 up to the 2016 but nothing after. Does anyone know if it's the same process with the EBS and maintenance mode etc?

I have done brakes myself on my motorcycles and other cars/trucks I have owned but none were as new or had EBS to deal with. My fear is that I will need some sort of factory tuning/reset tool to deal with the computer. I hope not but since I cannot find anything to definitively tell me otherwise I am hesitant to attempt it only to have to to take it back to the dealer in the end. I may suck it up and buy a 90 dollar repair manual in PDF. BUT before I do that..if anyone has some insight it would be SUPER appreciated. I will be sure to pass it along to the next guy I promise.

Thanks have a great day.

Last edited:
What needs to be done specifically? Front or rear wheels? I*m guessing rear but wanted to clarify.

I don't have the info. But the important part is how to put the parking brake into maintenece mode and having the caliper tool for the rear as well ($10).

I read somewhere the rear doesn't need the caliper tool if equipped with the electronic parking brake (thread somewhere here?). It's my understanding that there is no need to rotate as you push down on the rear (can be pushed down with a C-clamp like the fronts) as you normally would without the electronic parking brake. The tool can be used to line the piston back up if it rotated slightly when compressed.

Hello..my first post, won't be the last. I would like to do a brake job (routine maintenance) on my CX 5. It only has 31k miles on it and the dealer wanted to charge me $265 to do it. That seemed expensive given the parts only add up to roughly 120 bucks. So I started researching and saw several posts on CX 5 up to the 2016 but nothing after. Does anyone know if it's the same process with the EBS and maintenance mode etc?

I have done brakes myself on my motorcycles and other cars/trucks I have owned but none were as new or had EBS to deal with. My fear is that I will need some sort of factory tuning/reset tool to deal with the computer. I hope not but since I cannot find anything to definitively tell me otherwise I am hesitant to attempt it only to have to to take it back to the dealer in the end. I may suck it up and buy a 90 dollar repair manual in PDF. BUT before I do that..if anyone has some insight it would be SUPER appreciated. I will be sure to pass it along to the next guy I promise.

Thanks have a great day.
Here's workshop manual for gen-2 (your 2017) CX-5 which includes brakes:

Workshop Manuals for 2018 CX-5

And here's a helpful info for rear brake with Electrical Parking Brake (EPB) on your 2017 CX-5:

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Back