Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

When I sold BMWs, we had the i3 in 2014 and 2015. It was uncompetitive even when new with a mere ~75 mile BEV range, and the asking price was over 40,000 dollars, for a very small car. They all went out the door as leases with fake residuals to keep payments artificially low, just so BMW could move the things and get some miles on the fleet. I expect Mazda will do something similar with the lease programs to move these.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    When I sold BMWs, we had the i3 in 2014 and 2015. It was uncompetitive even when new with a mere ~75 mile BEV range, and the asking price was over 40,000 dollars, for a very small car. They all went out the door as leases with fake residuals to keep payments artificially low, just so BMW could move the things and get some miles on the fleet. I expect Mazda will do something similar with the lease programs to move these.
    I'm honestly just appalled at it. Its shameful. Like showing up to a powerlifting meet and squatting 315# lifting in the 100kg class after running your mouth for 3 years and posting shitty cropped mirror pix of yourself and then blaming mandatory drug testing for your limp performance.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I'm honestly just appalled at it. Its shameful. Like showing up to a powerlifting meet and squatting 315# lifting in the 100kg class after running your mouth for 3 years and posting shitty cropped mirror pix of yourself and then blaming mandatory drug testing for your limp performance.
    Your posts using gun and now powerlifting references crack me up. Because both have been long time interests and participation so I get what you are saying when you use them. Made me smile to read this.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

An actual review! No surprises..........

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...el-awd-review/

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

I just wonder how many in the US are now moving toward considering hybrid or full electric if not gas? I would be in that category and have been impressed by some of the full electric cars from various car manufacturers. So it seems like it would be difficult in the demographics of the US to try to wave a "we have diesel shiny object" over here and another is waving "we have full electric with 300+ mile range on a single charge object" over there. The electric seems to get my attention first. I understand Europe and other countries have a different perspective.

I am another one that had Mazda brought the diesel when they first claimed it may have sold a few, but now it seems like it is old news when the new news is electric/hybrid performance. I must admit that I am still not fully on board with that either, but I am warming up to it. Especially after watching more videos on what is coming to the market soon.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post

Reading that article and what others here have said the same thing. The Mazda CX-5D is a not a good purchase at $41K for the typical savvy buyer mainly because it has nothing (ZERO) beneficial over the CX-5T and it cost more. It's like just giving your money away for no reason at all. Now if it had a $25K price tag it might be worth looking at.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

I hear ya!

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Mazda may actually get to (more like have to) advertise pricing and discounts for a change, even the 20-25% off MSRP ones like their competitors use. Unfortunately, this time it will be to get a car down to what should've been it's initial price from the start, the 2.2Dud CX-5. Probably still won't sell. smh.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    Your posts using gun and now powerlifting references crack me up. Because both have been long time interests and participation so I get what you are saying when you use them. Made me smile to read this.
    Ty! At least one good thing came of the cx5D

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post

Hey this popped up on my phone this morning!

Read through it. The EPA MPG numbers are real...27 city, 30 highway. So basically no improvement over the NA aside from towing, and marginally better than the turbo. Sorry Anchorman, calling this rollout and execution a flop and a fail.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

C&D got 34 in their highway testing vs 30 in the same test w/the sig turbo- latter of which surprised me more. Not saying that's great or even nearly good enough, but it is better. Depending where you live with current gas/diesel spreads and if you do mostly open highway it still could make some sense, just not a premium to the turbo- it should have occupied the middle imo with std GT trim available at a max 2k premium to NA. Highly doubt it'll stick around more than a model year or 2 which is sad but a fail is a fail. Even if it had the 200/310+ that were early rumors AND hit high 30s highway it'd be a tough sell, now it has literally no chance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-beat-epa-mpg/
    Last edited by Monterra; 08-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 6MT- Awesome
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -It didn't break
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Solid vehicle sans brakes..few issues @90k+
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 6MT or bust bitch (love that)fun/dollar untouchable right now
    2016.5 CX-5 AWD GT - Stickin w/swoop, wheel upgrade, really just wanted to ape 7ereg

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    C&D got 34 in their highway testing vs 30 in the same test w/the sig turbo- latter of which surprised me more. Not saying that's great or even nearly good enough, but it is better. Depending where you live with current gas/diesel spreads and if you do mostly open highway it still could make some sense, just not a premium to the turbo- it should have occupied the middle imo with std GT trim available at a max 2k premium to NA. Highly doubt it'll stick around more than a model year or 2 which is sad but a fail is a fail. Even if it had the 200/310+ that were early rumors AND hit high 30s highway it'd be a tough sell, now it has literally no chance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-beat-epa-mpg/

If you keep reading they say (for the limited time they've had it), that it is averaging 25mpg in their daily driving, while their long-term test CX5 turbo is averaging 23.

A whopping 2mpg better (albeit in a limited test).

I am betting that the non-diesel, non-turbo 2.5L is faster AND gets better fuel economy in daily driving.
    (Also this de-bunks the "torque is meaningful for all-out 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times" crowd, me bets!)

Registered Member

ss

If you keep reading they say (for the limited time they've had it), that it is averaging 25mpg in their daily driving, while their long-term test CX5 turbo is averaging 23.

A whopping 2mpg better (albeit in a limited test).

I am betting that the non-diesel, non-turbo 2.5L is faster AND gets better fuel economy in daily driving.
    (Also this de-bunks the "torque is meaningful for all-out 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times" crowd, me bets!)
    Only 23 MPG for the 2.5T??

Mine is averaging 25 MPG and this is combined city/highway and averaged over about 7k mi. I believe others here are seeing about the same.

I'm curious why C&D is only seeing 23 MPG unless it's all city stop and go.

In any event, the diesel needs to get at least 30 MPG combined to simply offset today's higher price of diesel. (excluding all the other factors)

IMHO the Diesel is a "stillborn". Mazda's too small to absorb major blunders like this.
    Last edited by davefr; 08-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I think were missing the point on the NA launch of a skyactiv diesel. IMHO, its Mazda's way of saying we don't have electric tech (yet), but little Mazda was able to bring forth diesal offerings that meet California's strict requirements without cheating (looking at you VW, 2nd largest car maker in the world.) Essentially a milestone.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    I think were missing the point on the NA launch of a skyactiv diesel. IMHO, its Mazda's way of saying we don't have electric tech (yet), but little Mazda was able to bring forth diesal offerings that meet California's strict requirements without cheating (looking at you VW, 2nd largest car maker in the world.) Essentially a milestone.
    A milestone for what? Others are already doing the diesel in this segment and killing Mazda's claimed EPA MPG by over 30%, looking at you Chevy Equinox. Let them waste the money, they have it to burn, or so it seems.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast