Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

$42k?! Id give em that for a 300hp/380tq gas burning CX-5.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by dwill View Post
    Don*t get the appeal of diesel anymore. Times were that diesel was cheaper than gas, but those times are long gone in the US. Also, for Mazda, less power than even the NA engine. Why?
    Yeh, back then diesel was a bargain...if you could find a station that sold it.

Almost as scarce as charging stations are today.

'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White

LOL. I have Tesla model Y on order. Can't wait to get rid of 1 of my CX-5s.

42K and still drive poison car.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by gova View Post

I do appreciate Mazda's attempts at lowering greenhouse emissions overall though. Their focus claims to be on the net carbon footprint of the vehicle: production of the car as well as the vehicles lifetime emissions. The net carbon footprint of an electric vehicle can be the same as a gas or diesel powered vehicle if production of said electric vehicle was accomplished in an environmentally unfriendly manner. I'm not saying that's true for Tesla as I honestly don't know, but I understand Mazda's mission statement moving forward.

To stay on topic though, Mazda's diesel release in the US seems to be dead in the water for all of the reasons mentioned previously. Skyactiv-X followed by their third iteration of Skyactiv after X seems to be the best bet for fuel efficiency's sake, not the diesel powerplant. My guess is that the diesel is well established and sold overseas, so a sale is a sale if we can get one in the US. Mazda is designing compelling ICE vehicles that will be an outstanding option for those unwilling to be a guinea pig for vehicles like Tesla (which are admittedly in a constant state of beta readiness, being fixed with OTA updates, etc).

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    I do appreciate Mazda's attempts at lowering greenhouse emissions overall though. Their focus claims to be on the net carbon footprint of the vehicle: production of the car as well as the vehicles lifetime emissions. The net carbon footprint of an electric vehicle can be the same as a gas or diesel powered vehicle if production of said electric vehicle was accomplished in an environmentally unfriendly manner. I'm not saying that's true for Tesla as I honestly don't know, but I understand Mazda's mission statement moving forward.
    This has been debunked many times with supporting arguments. An EV has higher carbon footprint upfront but within 2-5 years depending on whichever state you live in - the EV comes out ahead. It doesn't matter if you charge it with coal generated electricity or solar. The avg. age of a car is around 7-8 years so an EV will always be more green unless you buy ones made in countries with no regulations / no environmental protections - I cant think of a country that makes EVs that falls in this category.
    Mazda's verbiage is based on a single fact - they have zero EV tech and zero hybrid tech. Few 3 Hybrids were sold in Japan and Australia but beyond that not much. Mazda has no money for EV tech and more importantly no supply chain for batteries. If CX5 had a hybrid version which had 220/250 power numbers and it became popular in US - I doubt they would be able to build and sell 40K of those assuming a small (< 2KWh battery).

There is zero chance the SPCCI can compete with a proper PHEV or an EV - the more you think about it - factors like brake dust and carbon footprint to extract and refine and transport oil (sometimes store is for long periods) - the EV keeps getting ahead.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

"Poison car"? Huh?

I hope you have good luck with that Tesla.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

I hope you are fairly wealthy -earning USD 250K + a year and some assets and few liabilities to think of a Model Y. Just think how long ago the 3 was released and google Canada + Model3 rust problems or google Inside EVs + Model 3 rust problem. A Model3 with 7000 KMs is rusting bad in Finland - it is like your car starts to rust before you even rotate the tires. That is not similar to SRC paint issue Mazda has - the robot failed to paint that part of the Model 3. Its bare naked. Plus add in issues like yellowing of the screen in warmer climates / general issues and repair costs that are insane - you get the point.
    Nothing wrong with buying a Tesla - but understand that all insurers treat it as an 'Exotic' and there is a reason why the average Model S and X owners earn in the mid to high 200s or more. It is an expensive car to run.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

^^^^ Just to add -the Finnish chamber of commerce was involved in the above rusting case. And Tesla decided to go with consumer grade electronics screen instead of Automotive grade screen (which can withstand a lot of abuse) in the model S. A really poor cost cutting decision.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    This has been debunked many times with supporting arguments. An EV has higher carbon footprint upfront but within 2-5 years depending on whichever state you live in - the EV comes out ahead. It doesn't matter if you charge it with coal generated electricity or solar. The avg. age of a car is around 7-8 years so an EV will always be more green unless you buy ones made in countries with no regulations / no environmental protections - I cant think of a country that makes EVs that falls in this category.
    Mazda's verbiage is based on a single fact - they have zero EV tech and zero hybrid tech. Few 3 Hybrids were sold in Japan and Australia but beyond that not much. Mazda has no money for EV tech and more importantly no supply chain for batteries. If CX5 had a hybrid version which had 220/250 power numbers and it became popular in US - I doubt they would be able to build and sell 40K of those assuming a small (< 2KWh battery).

There is zero chance the SPCCI can compete with a proper PHEV or an EV - the more you think about it - factors like brake dust and carbon footprint to extract and refine and transport oil (sometimes store is for long periods) - the EV keeps getting ahead.
    You're absolutely right. EV's are the future. However, they are still subsidized = not ready for prime time. 10+ year old Toyota Prius vehicles are now requiring replacement batteries for a couple grand. They are nowhere near the size required for a 200+ mile range vehicle, so battery replacements on today's longer range EV's will likely be higher down the road. I think Mazda is capitalizing on this fact and providing a viable ICE platform in the meantime. I'll take SPCCI with hybrid like fuel efficiency over paying the current EV premium and hoping I don't need a new battery 10 years down the road. That's now of course. That might (hopefully) be different in 10 years.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    I hope you are fairly wealthy -earning USD 250K + a year and some assets and few liabilities to think of a Model Y. Just think how long ago the 3 was released and google Canada + Model3 rust problems or google Inside EVs + Model 3 rust problem. A Model3 with 7000 KMs is rusting bad in Finland - it is like your car starts to rust before you even rotate the tires. That is not similar to SRC paint issue Mazda has - the robot failed to paint that part of the Model 3. Its bare naked. Plus add in issues like yellowing of the screen in warmer climates / general issues and repair costs that are insane - you get the point.
    Nothing wrong with buying a Tesla - but understand that all insurers treat it as an 'Exotic' and there is a reason why the average Model S and X owners earn in the mid to high 200s or more. It is an expensive car to run.
    The average CX5 owner makes around $90K a year.

Anyway, the main reason I don't own a Tesla is because they are trash by a trash company. The second reason I don't own one is because road trips suck with a plug-in EV.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

Anyway, the main reason I don't own a Tesla is because they are trash by a trash company. The second reason I don't own one is because road trips suck with a plug-in EV.
    Yep yep!

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Poison car? Yeah...ok.

Yep. Garbage car with build quality and reliability on par or worse than freaking Fiat Chrysler.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 08-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Not to hi-jack this thread but man...that's how much my wife makes. She's the bread winner right now. I'm trying to get a junior DBA job to catch up. Won't be until I'm in a senior position though

Registered Member

I don't think you're hi-jacking, lol. My wife has been the bread winner ever since we graduated college. I've got a new job opportunity lined up though that'll change that. I think she's going to be a little relieved lol. I've been doing difficult government work and government just doesn't pay well. We joke at work that the only reason we can do our jobs is because our spouses support us.

I've been following the diesel news pretty closely as said salary bump could allow a more premium ride than what we currently have. But man, it just seems like a waste of money compared to the 2.5L Turbo 6 I test drove. There we go, back on topic

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    I don't think you're hi-jacking, lol. My wife has been the bread winner ever since we graduated college. I've got a new job opportunity lined up though that'll change that. I think she's going to be a little relieved lol. I've been doing difficult government work and government just doesn't pay well. We joke at work that the only reason we can do our jobs is because our spouses support us.

I've been following the diesel news pretty closely as said salary bump could allow a more premium ride than what we currently have. But man, it just seems like a waste of money compared to the 2.5L Turbo 6 I test drove. There we go, back on topic

Yeah, I don't get it. The 2.5T can get really good mileage. This is from my wife recent road trip north. About 1400 miles of it was on the highway, the other was driving around town. And this is in a CX-9 for christ sake! I don't know if I would do diesel over the loss of this.

2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast