Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

With ease. Let's do it!

Nah. Not for me. If I wanted a faster vehicle I'd have bought one, and all the foibles that would accompany it. I've always held the motto for me personally, that if it's not good enough from the factory, minus tint, and maybe exhaust, then you bought the wrong one.

Nah. Not for me. If I wanted a faster vehicle I'd have bought one, and all the foibles that would accompany it. I've always held the motto for me personally, that if it's not good enough from the factory, minus tint, and maybe exhaust, then you bought the wrong one.

I meant Mazda do it, so we can have a warranty to boot.

I meant Mazda do it, so we can have a warranty to boot.

That would be cool. I really think that's the next step in Mazda's evolution toward a legit "premium brand". The CX5 GTR and Sg models are legit there, in terms of entry-level luxury. They have managed to become early 2000's Lexus. I was shocked, and surprised, and have to take back what I said about Mazda in that regard. They have pulled it off. Next, is a performance division.

Lexus has F-Sport, BMW has ///M, MB has AMG, Even Hyundai has "N (Namyang)". Mazda probably should not bring back "MazdaSpeed", but they should do something upscale and mature sounding that results in a legit driving dynamic boost above what they are offering, now, as what they are offering now simply puts them square in base Luxury territory. They need to punch into the low 5 second range with the sedans, and mid/high 5 second range with the CUV/SUV's. The Audi Q5 basest trim is 5.8 to 60, and the Honda Pilot is DEEP into the low 6's. It hink if Mazda could do the above, they might snag a couple of low-level ///M and AMG customers, and definitely would crush Lexus' "F" division. Maybe they can simply have "Mazda Performance (division)", emblem "MP"/"MPD" stylized lightly, or something. Yes it is a bit "old guard" and stodgy, but the luxury market likes that, and Mazda knows this with "Reserve" and "Signature". Very "stuffy" names. If they keep it
"MPD" and don't go hyper luxury with it, they can also get away with putting it in lower trim levels as a performance oriented package rather than forcing themselves to tie it to only the top trim levels or two, and that would be very appealing for many!

Last edited:
I get 50 at a steady 75. Corrected to US gallons that*s 42.

Which is a good 8 MPG higher than what the tests I've seen on the US version report. At 42, that would be an MPG win for sure. At 34, less so considering diesel is more expensive and the $4k price premium over the turbo version.

Which is a good 8 MPG higher than what the tests I've seen on the US version report. At 42, that would be an MPG win for sure. At 34, less so considering diesel is more expensive and the $4k price premium over the turbo version.

The test shown in this thread displayed 34mpg, which is in NO WAY NEAR 50mpg, so unless the test is totally wrong, or he is lying to us, neither of which I suspect, then yeah, the US Diesel is probably very different from his.

Looks to me that Mazda has been living in the past. They publicly admitted that they think that ICE has some life in it. Sigar butt, as Buffet likes to describe something that has one or two puffs in it... Perhaps, Toyota electric technology will revive their leading-edge motto, but at this point I don't see anything happening. Diesel offering will be a total disaster in North America in this day and age...

The test shown in this thread displayed 34mpg, which is in NO WAY NEAR 50mpg, so unless the test is totally wrong, or he is lying to us, neither of which I suspect, then yeah, the US Diesel is probably very different from his.
Idk about that. I can go on the mirage forum and find mpgs ranging from 35 to literally 50+. It all depends on how your drive and where you live..

Idk about that. I can go on the mirage forum and find mpgs ranging from 35 to literally 50+. It all depends on how your drive and where you live..

Well, let's stay tuned for more testing...Can't wait to see the 9 second 0-60's...and then that little voice at the back of the room..."But what about the 2.0 that got better mpg by far and had similar acceleration, was naturally balanced an smooth, and had no need of turbos and ran on 87 octane gasoline for 20 cents a gallon less and didn't need DEF or frequent plug changes?"

The 2.0 SA-G was the engine American Diesel lovers need, even if you don't deserve it, and now you can't have it.

Last edited:
Looks to me that Mazda has been living in the past. They publicly admitted that they think that ICE has some life in it. Sigar butt, as Buffet likes to describe something that has one or two puffs in it... Perhaps, Toyota electric technology will revive their leading-edge motto, but at this point I don't see anything happening. Diesel offering will be a total disaster in North America in this day and age...

With my lighter 2013 diesel or 2015 175ps I would get no where near 50mpg uk motorway, just under 40mpg usually.

In winter with local driving as little as 35mpg.

Best ever I had twice was 55mpg on none motorway roads obviously with no DPF burn.
I actually get more MPG with my 2019 190ps DSG 4motion Tiguan, and no oil sump rise.

Well, here's a weekend of my daily commute:
68768451_10100193331660201_8829742806776938496_o.jpg

69114530_10100193331705111_3167548521217785856_o.jpg

I ain't seen nuthin' over 24 except for one tank (24.3).

I gotta get out and take a highway-speed road trip. School's back in. Maybe I'll go to the beach.

You*d make a good tabloid journalist Unob. I said it was 42 corrected to US gallons - our gallons are bigger than yours. I saw your daily commute figures which are similar to mine (when corrected). My commute is about 8 miles of very steep hills, 8 miles of motorway and 8 miles of city. I drive quite hard but not flat out and mine is an AWD auto. How does that compare to your commute?

What we need on here is somebody with one of these diesels because apart from a few initial test reports that I never find accurate (they seem to go off trip computer mileage) we are talking conjecture and speculation.

You*d make a good tabloid journalist Unob. I said it was 42 corrected to US gallons - our gallons are bigger than yours. I saw your daily commute figures which are similar to mine (when corrected). My commute is about 8 miles of very steep hills, 8 miles of motorway and 8 miles of city. I drive quite hard but not flat out and mine is an AWD auto. How does that compare to your commute?

What we need on here is somebody with one of these diesels because apart from a few initial test reports that I never find accurate (they seem to go off trip computer mileage) we are talking conjecture and speculation.

This will give you an idea of my commute. Obviously I have zero association with either of these destinations, but the commute is similar. The 3D and satellite will give you ideas of topography.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ban...37b10739e61f26!2m2!1d-94.1983915!2d36.6574089

My hand-calculated value for the image shown was 30.4mpg.

From what I've heard and seen, trip computer has been within acceptable margin of hand calculated MPG.

You're right, we are speculating, but initial tests give us something so it's not entirely speculation. One can speculate from the fact a 2017 model year diesel was announced and then never released. What have they been doing between then and now? What did they have to change to reach compliance? Speculation sure, but one has to say it didn't take them 2 extra years without reason. EPA numbers, initial tests, etc. all seem to point to our diesel not performing as well as yours in the MPG department.

I agree, we'll see what real folks get. But the catch22 to that is, who is buying a diesel at top $$$ when the information currently available seems to indicate it's not really worth the price premium?

Last edited:
From what I've heard and seen, trip computer has been within acceptable margin of hand calculated MPG.

I keep track of my mileage in a spreadsheet. Since I already have the data (#gals/miles driven/computer's MPG) I created formulas to calculate any variance between manual calculations and the computer's.

In my car, at 4,000 miles, the computer is always accurate. Manual calcs are off because of variances in how close to full my tank was when I started, and how close to full it gets when I just fill up. It doesn't take much to drive a difference...likely a 1 slope any direction in gas station parking lots will drive "not perfectly full" fillups.

I enter each filllup (#gals/miles driven/computer MPG) and my spreadsheet automatically tells me how much gas is required to account for the difference between the computer and the manual calculations. A dozen tanks of gas so far in my dataset, and manual calculation differences always self-correct back to the computer, with the amount of over/under gas netting out from tank to tank...or over a series of no more than 3 tanks.

Just my experience.

Why isn't the diesel on the Mazdausa website yet? Or did I just miss it?

Back