Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

LOL. I have Tesla model Y on order. Can't wait to get rid of 1 of my CX-5s.

42K and still drive poison car.

I hope you are fairly wealthy -earning USD 250K + a year and some assets and few liabilities to think of a Model Y. Just think how long ago the 3 was released and google Canada + Model3 rust problems or google Inside EVs + Model 3 rust problem. A Model3 with 7000 KMs is rusting bad in Finland - it is like your car starts to rust before you even rotate the tires. That is not similar to SRC paint issue Mazda has - the robot failed to paint that part of the Model 3. Its bare naked. Plus add in issues like yellowing of the screen in warmer climates / general issues and repair costs that are insane - you get the point.
Nothing wrong with buying a Tesla - but understand that all insurers treat it as an 'Exotic' and there is a reason why the average Model S and X owners earn in the mid to high 200s or more. It is an expensive car to run.

^^^^ Just to add -the Finnish chamber of commerce was involved in the above rusting case. And Tesla decided to go with consumer grade electronics screen instead of Automotive grade screen (which can withstand a lot of abuse) in the model S. A really poor cost cutting decision.

This has been debunked many times with supporting arguments. An EV has higher carbon footprint upfront but within 2-5 years depending on whichever state you live in - the EV comes out ahead. It doesn't matter if you charge it with coal generated electricity or solar. The avg. age of a car is around 7-8 years so an EV will always be more green unless you buy ones made in countries with no regulations / no environmental protections - I cant think of a country that makes EVs that falls in this category.
Mazda's verbiage is based on a single fact - they have zero EV tech and zero hybrid tech. Few 3 Hybrids were sold in Japan and Australia but beyond that not much. Mazda has no money for EV tech and more importantly no supply chain for batteries. If CX5 had a hybrid version which had 220/250 power numbers and it became popular in US - I doubt they would be able to build and sell 40K of those assuming a small (< 2KWh battery).

There is zero chance the SPCCI can compete with a proper PHEV or an EV - the more you think about it - factors like brake dust and carbon footprint to extract and refine and transport oil (sometimes store is for long periods) - the EV keeps getting ahead.

You're absolutely right. EV's are the future. However, they are still subsidized = not ready for prime time. 10+ year old Toyota Prius vehicles are now requiring replacement batteries for a couple grand. They are nowhere near the size required for a 200+ mile range vehicle, so battery replacements on today's longer range EV's will likely be higher down the road. I think Mazda is capitalizing on this fact and providing a viable ICE platform in the meantime. I'll take SPCCI with hybrid like fuel efficiency over paying the current EV premium and hoping I don't need a new battery 10 years down the road. That's now of course. That might (hopefully) be different in 10 years.

I hope you are fairly wealthy -earning USD 250K + a year and some assets and few liabilities to think of a Model Y. Just think how long ago the 3 was released and google Canada + Model3 rust problems or google Inside EVs + Model 3 rust problem. A Model3 with 7000 KMs is rusting bad in Finland - it is like your car starts to rust before you even rotate the tires. That is not similar to SRC paint issue Mazda has - the robot failed to paint that part of the Model 3. Its bare naked. Plus add in issues like yellowing of the screen in warmer climates / general issues and repair costs that are insane - you get the point.
Nothing wrong with buying a Tesla - but understand that all insurers treat it as an 'Exotic' and there is a reason why the average Model S and X owners earn in the mid to high 200s or more. It is an expensive car to run.

The average CX5 owner makes around $90K a year.

Anyway, the main reason I don't own a Tesla is because they are trash by a trash company. The second reason I don't own one is because road trips suck with a plug-in EV.

LOL. I have Tesla model Y on order. Can't wait to get rid of 1 of my CX-5s.

42K and still drive poison car.

Poison car? Yeah...ok.

Anyway, the main reason I don't own a Tesla is because they are trash by a trash company. The second reason I don't own one is because road trips suck with a plug-in EV.

Yep. Garbage car with build quality and reliability on par or worse than freaking Fiat Chrysler.

Last edited:
The average CX5 owner makes around $90K a year.

Not to hi-jack this thread but man...that's how much my wife makes. She's the bread winner right now. I'm trying to get a junior DBA job to catch up. Won't be until I'm in a senior position though :(

I don't think you're hi-jacking, lol. My wife has been the bread winner ever since we graduated college. I've got a new job opportunity lined up though that'll change that. I think she's going to be a little relieved lol. I've been doing difficult government work and government just doesn't pay well. We joke at work that the only reason we can do our jobs is because our spouses support us.

I've been following the diesel news pretty closely as said salary bump could allow a more premium ride than what we currently have. But man, it just seems like a waste of money compared to the 2.5L Turbo 6 I test drove. There we go, back on topic :D

I don't think you're hi-jacking, lol. My wife has been the bread winner ever since we graduated college. I've got a new job opportunity lined up though that'll change that. I think she's going to be a little relieved lol. I've been doing difficult government work and government just doesn't pay well. We joke at work that the only reason we can do our jobs is because our spouses support us.

I've been following the diesel news pretty closely as said salary bump could allow a more premium ride than what we currently have. But man, it just seems like a waste of money compared to the 2.5L Turbo 6 I test drove. There we go, back on topic :D

Yeah, I don't get it. The 2.5T can get really good mileage. This is from my wife recent road trip north. About 1400 miles of it was on the highway, the other was driving around town. And this is in a CX-9 for christ sake! I don't know if I would do diesel over the loss of this.

IMG_6980.jpg

Not to hi-jack this thread but man...that's how much my wife makes. She's the bread winner right now. I'm trying to get a junior DBA job to catch up. Won't be until I'm in a senior position though :(

Meh. I never cared so much about income. I just want to always be able to afford what I need and want. Whatever that shakes out to, is fine by me.

Meh. I never cared so much about income. I just want to always be able to afford what I need and want. Whatever that shakes out to, is fine by me.

Yeh, it's good to not jump on the hamster wheel. It really goes nowhere.

You just gotta manage those "wants."

Didn't get to drive it(wasn't here yet), didn't even drive the GTR..affordability wasn't the issue just didn't want to blow the extra 15 or so.. Found a nice cpo(everything sans i-activ that I didn't want)16.5 w/23k on it and moved on..~50k deep in vehicle purchases YTD(wow) That said I think I got a nice garage renewal for what I almost would've been out on a nice loaded AWD Stinger or G70..2 is better than 1 esp when you roll 25+k/yr..

Last edited:
Trying to own my land/property outright in the next few years. Dave Ramsey FTW!

I was able to do that a few years ago when I retired.

Of course, the government has a perpetual lien against it in the guise of real estate taxes.

I was able to do that a few years ago when I retired.

Of course, the government has a perpetual lien against it in the guise of real estate taxes.

I guess thats how the rich stay rich...Tax shelter.

Gonna have to look into rental property under an LLC and if I can get a car payment (or partial) written off as a tax business expense.

Three pages and no ones driven one.

I like the low rpm nature of our one. Makes for a very quiet drive) No need to rev it as 90% of torque available off idle. Visits to gas station are infrequent with 35.6 mpg ( longer on trips)
Combo of reasonable torque and enough power means safe enough overtaking. Very linear acceleration so comfortable for passengers. The price premium for the engine has already been offset but fuel savings in less than two years ( petrol more expensive where I live )

Don*t knock it until you*ve tried one.

Back