On the fence....

gwar9999

Hey all,

This might be my first and last post since I'm not a Mazda owner and until a few days ago the CX-5 wasn't even on my short-list but I did take a test-drive recently and liked it but am still hesitant to commit. A few things not necessarily deal-breakers are concerning to me as well as I have some questions, so hopefully the experts here can help me out.

Anyhow, coming from a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium (2.0L Turbo), the Signature CX-5 lacks the hands-free liftgate which surprisingly I used far more than I would've imagined. However, I can live with that since the CX-5 adds cooling seats which the Escape lacked. So that's a push, where the CX-5 seems to disappoint is that it looks like their respective Android app is garbage (1.8 rating and tons of "worst app ever" reviews). I used the Ford app quite often to lock my doors and/or start the engine remotely. Though I'm not sure if in order to use that horrid app I need to pay $550 for the feature to be installed/enabled and then $65/year after the first year. Seems like a ripoff considering my 3-yr old Escape the feature was included and the app use was free.

Also, the Signature I drove when I selected the Navigation item there was a message saying it wasn't installed or something like that. I was under the impression Nav was standard.

Thanks for any help in convincing me to buy or to run.

If tech is your highest priority, Mazda will disappoint you [but nav IS standard].
If driving is your highest priority, take another test drive and see if it isn't the best little car you've ever driven.

Hey all,

This might be my first and last post since I'm not a Mazda owner and until a few days ago the CX-5 wasn't even on my short-list but I did take a test-drive recently and liked it but am still hesitant to commit. A few things not necessarily deal-breakers are concerning to me as well as I have some questions, so hopefully the experts here can help me out.

Anyhow, coming from a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium (2.0L Turbo), the Signature CX-5 lacks the hands-free liftgate which surprisingly I used far more than I would've imagined. However, I can live with that since the CX-5 adds cooling seats which the Escape lacked. So that's a push, where the CX-5 seems to disappoint is that it looks like their respective Android app is garbage (1.8 rating and tons of "worst app ever" reviews). I used the Ford app quite often to lock my doors and/or start the engine remotely. Though I'm not sure if in order to use that horrid app I need to pay $550 for the feature to be installed/enabled and then $65/year after the first year. Seems like a ripoff considering my 3-yr old Escape the feature was included and the app use was free.

Also, the Signature I drove when I selected the Navigation item there was a message saying it wasn't installed or something like that. I was under the impression Nav was standard.

The Mazda app doesn't really have much functionality - see service schedules, manuals, videos, and roadside assistance. No remote options - door locks, start, etc.

Mazda has a poor remote start system. You are better off with an aftermarket solution.

Once you purchase the vehicle, the dealer will install the navigation SD card and the navigation system will then be enabled.

I have rented multiple Ford vehicles - Edge and Fusions and none of the tech impressed me or were a priority for me.

The CX-5, in terms of driving dynamics, has no competition unless you go to the premium/luxury manufacturers - Audi, BMW, Acura, etc. At that point, you are looking at prices at least 8k more.

It all depends on what you want out of a vehicle.
Cargo space? RAV4 or CR-V
Technology? German
Reliability? RAV4 (New model year; have some issues)

No way I'd buy a Ford over a Mazda, current production, tech or not. I'm far from a Mazda fanboy, but the cx5 turbo has a proven drivetrain and is quite nice for the cost. Ford just keeps having qc issues.

The Mazda app doesn't really have much functionality - see service schedules, manuals, videos, and roadside assistance. No remote options - door locks, start, etc.

Mazda has a poor remote start system. You are better off with an aftermarket solution.

Once you purchase the vehicle, the dealer will install the navigation SD card and the navigation system will then be enabled.

I have rented multiple Ford vehicles - Edge and Fusions and none of the tech impressed me or were a priority for me.

The CX-5, in terms of driving dynamics, has no competition unless you go to the premium/luxury manufacturers - Audi, BMW, Acura, etc. At that point, you are looking at prices at least 8k more.

It all depends on what you want out of a vehicle.
Cargo space? RAV4 or CR-V
Technology? German
Reliability? RAV4 (New model year; have some issues)

I've rented a ton of vehicles and they've always been the entry model stripped of most of the tech and the better engine, etc... so it's hard to truly compare a rental to its corresponding premium model. I enjoyed my Escape for 3 years never had any problems and just a few annoyances. Is it perfect? No, which is why I'm looking elsewhere. The Ford remote app worked perfectly all but one time (a time when my car was parked 4-5 floors below the ground-level in a parking garage-- which is understandable since there was no cell service there). It appears Mazda has 2 apps, one for the manuals and info and the other for the lock/unlock/start functionality. The latter is the one with a subscription and both apps appear to be lacking in many ways. FWIW, I was initially leaning towards the Acura RDX but their inability to release Android Auto for well over a year (my 2017 Escape had it for over 3 years) forced me to keep looking.

The CX-5 definitely has a lot going for it and I'm not planning on getting another Ford. I guess what it was, I really liked the 2017 Escape which was definitely in my top 3 and this time I had one top choice (RDX) and everything so it was hard to get excited researching 20 different vehicles.

I was recently in the same position that you are.

I owned a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0T Titanium FWD. I decided that I wanted to buy a new car. As a result, I did lots and lots of research, and I went on more than a few test drives. I became a bit confused by all of the different strengths and weaknesses of the competing vehicles. I really loved the CX-5, but I was worried that the technological features would disappoint me.

At the end of March I purchased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Limited FWD. Almost immediately, I realized that I should have followed my heart and purchased a CX-5 GTR. The Santa Fe is a fine vehicle and the technology is much better than the CX-5*s but it simply gets me from point A to point B. It is definitely roomier than the CX-5, but I don*t spend too much time driving anyone other than my wife.

Now, I find myself daydreaming about the CX-5 and kicking myself for trying to be *smart*. My advice is to follow your heart and buy whichever vehicle speaks to you, whether it is a Mazda or something else.

I was recently in the same position that you are.

I owned a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0T Titanium FWD. I decided that I wanted to buy a new car. As a result, I did lots and lots of research, and I went on more than a few test drives. I became a bit confused by all of the different strengths and weaknesses of the competing vehicles. I really loved the CX-5, but I was worried that the technological features would disappoint me.

At the end of March I purchased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Limited FWD. Almost immediately, I realized that I should have followed my heart and purchased a CX-5 GTR. The Santa Fe is a fine vehicle and the technology is much better than the CX-5*s but it simply gets me from point A to point B. It is definitely roomier than the CX-5, but I don*t spend too much time driving anyone other than my wife.

Now, I find myself daydreaming about the CX-5 and kicking myself for trying to be *smart*. My advice is to follow your heart and buy whichever vehicle speaks to you, whether it is a Mazda or something else.

Clash,

What kind of technology does the Santa Fe have that is not on the CX 5?

I don't understand the obsession with technology. It's a car whose main objective is to get from point A to point B without any mishaps. I can''t understand people who would pass up a Mazda because it doesn't have the latest/greatest version of AA or Carplay. No wonder there's so many accidents on the road. Too many people doing everything but driving.

People choosing a Santa Fe over a CX-5. Good luck with that choice.

Maybe since my major was CompSci and I've been in technology sector for 30 years I've become immune.

I don't understand the obsession with technology. It's a car whose main objective is to get from point A to point B without any mishaps. I can''t understand people who would pass up a Mazda because it doesn't have the latest/greatest version of AA or Carplay. No wonder there's so many accidents on the road. Too many people doing everything but driving.

People choosing a Santa Fe over a CX-5. Good luck with that choice.

Maybe since my major was CompSci and I've been in technology sector for 30 years I've become immune.

agree 100%...liftgate, remote starts??? my gosh, pick the vehicle that is reliable and drives well

Hey all,

I moved from a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium (2.0L Turbo) which I liked quite a bit to a 2018 Mazda CX5 GT. During my search I did consider another Escape however, after driving the CX5, seeing how well it is finished inside, better re-sale value, better warranty, etc. I just couldn't pull the trigger on buying another Escape. I paid more for the CX5 than the Escape SEL that I was looking at but, there is definitely no regrets. The only downside is that the 2018 CX5s didn't come with the Turbo and the Ford infosystem is far better then the one in the Mazda. I would highly recommend to purchase the CX5 with a Turbo!

Wade

I also considered the RDX prior to purchasing my CX5 Signature. While the RDX is a great vehicle, I didn*t think it warranted the increased cost. Further, there is only one local Acura dealer in my area and surrounded vicinity and I hate being held hostage to one dealer. Not that Mazda has as many dealers as Toyota or Honda, but more than one. I*m extremely pleased with my CX5, but I*m Still in the honeymoon phase (2 months of ownership). Let*s see how I feel in another 10 months!! Best of luck with whatever you decide (it!s not easy)! I have no regrets.

agree 100%...liftgate, remote starts??? my gosh, pick the vehicle that is reliable and drives well

The lift gate is legit for us Type A males. You know how much s*** I could carry and stow in 1 trip with no buggy if wiggling my foot under the bumper would open the hatch!?

Back