Does the TPMS alert say which tire is low?

Cuz

Contributor
On the newer CX-5s, does the low tire pressure alert say which tire is low?
On my 2011 Subaru, it's just one light and then I have to figure out which tire is low.
On my wife's 2017 Hyundai Elantra, the alert says which tire, and even gives the actual tire pressure at each individual tire which is pretty cool.

I'm how the CX-5 TPMS alert works. From the manual, it appears to be just one light without identifying which tire, but I'd like to confirm.

Thanks,
Cuz.

On the newer CX-5s, does the low tire pressure alert say which tire is low?
On my 2011 Subaru, it's just one light and then I have to figure out which tire is low.
On my wife's 2017 Hyundai Elantra, the alert says which tire, and even gives the actual tire pressure at each individual tire which is pretty cool.

I'm how the CX-5 TPMS alert works. From the manual, it appears to be just one light without identifying which tire, but I'd like to confirm.

Thanks,
Cuz.
Like VQ35DE said both gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5 can't display tire pressure for each tires. Only a TPMS warning light to tell you air pressure on one or more of 4 road tires is low. The driver is responsible to find out which one or more than one are low.

Gen-1 CX-5 uses ABS sensors for its TPMS system, whereas gen-2 CX-5 uses direct-read air pressure/temperature sensor build-in with tire valve stem inside of each tire. Unfortunately Mazda wasted this more expensive direct-read TPMS system and didn't utilize the tire pressure info sending out from each tire.

...whereas gen-2 CX-5 uses direct-read air pressure/temperature sensor build-in with tire valve stem inside of each tire. Unfortunately Mazda wasted this more expensive direct-read TPMS system and didn't utilize the tire pressure info sending out from each tire.
Since the signals are all received and analyzed in the CMU(?), maybe this feature will appear in some future firmware.
Another alternative is a generic aftermarket gadget to display the readings. But it seems a shame since all the hardware is already there.

Last edited:
The problem with individual readings is that whenever you rotate tires or swap out winter/summer sets, you need to reprogram the wheel positions.

The problem with individual readings is that whenever you rotate tires or swap out winter/summer sets, you need to reprogram the wheel positions.

True but it is poor thinking on their part to have the tech on it but not show us the psi for all 4 corners. Just dumb in my opinion.

Hell, Im just glad systems have moved beyond the one on my 2007 RAV4. A hundred bucks to reprogram the system if you wanted to change wheels? Woof...

Hell, I*m just glad systems have moved beyond the one on my 2007 RAV4. A hundred bucks to reprogram the system if you wanted to change wheels? Woof...

The sound you heard was them ripping people new ones.

FYI, I just bought a Bluetooth OBDII monitor from Amazon on a lightning deal for under $20 and the FORScan app on my Android phone and it reads the individual tire pressures/temperatures no problem.

I was going to ask if anyone knew which wheel exactly wheel unit 1,2,3,4 were mapped to, but it sounds from here like they probably aren't and the tradeoff is that I don't have to pay to reprogram them constantly. I can live with that tradeoff.

Hell, Im just glad systems have moved beyond the one on my 2007 RAV4. A hundred bucks to reprogram the system if you wanted to change wheels? Woof...
The sound you heard was them ripping people new ones.
Yeah people should be able to reset the tire position by themselves after the tire rotation on 2007 RAV4. Its said somewhere in owners manual.

Gen-2 Mazdas TPMS also requires re-learn of the tire position after the rotation.

Gen-2 Mazdas TPMS also requires re-learn of the tire position after the rotation.

Allegedly this app can put the TPMS in learning mode without having to find/remember the voodoo dance to put it in manually. If I can find some sensors for my winter tires without paying $400 I might try a DIY relearn and report back.

Yeah people should be able to reset the tire position by themselves after the tire rotation on 2007 RAV4. Its said somewhere in owners manual.
Nope. For 2008 Toyota added a TPMS reset button. Mine required plugging in a scan tool.

Yeah people should be able to reset the tire position by themselves after the tire rotation on 2007 RAV4. It*s said somewhere in owner*s manual.

Gen-2 Mazda*s TPMS also requires re-learn of the tire position after the rotation.

Why would it re-learn tire position when it (GEN 2) still does NOT show any psi for individual tires ? Just an idiot light in the dash just like the GEN 1 Mazda.

Last edited:
Why would it re-learn tire position when it (GEN 2) still does NOT show any psi for individual tires ? Just an idiot light in the dash just like the GEN 1 Mazda.
Only Mazda knows why. May be to save some pennies not to add some app to take available info and display individual psi for each tire?

True but it is poor thinking on their part to have the tech on it but not show us the psi for all 4 corners. Just dumb in my opinion.

Back