Dealer Recommended Maintenance

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
I took my 2015 CX-5 Touring in for oil/filter/tire rotation. It has 62,908 miles. The dealer included a list of recommended services needed. I asked him if these were factory recommended services, his answer was, "yes". I hate being lied to, right to my face.

What say you, people of the Mazda Nation?

Fuel Service - $99.95 - No mention in manual of any fuel flush.
Trans Flush - $249.95 - No mention in manual of any tramsmision flush.
Brake Fluid Flush - $159.95 - No mention in manual of any brake fluid flush.
Coolant Flush - $199.95 - I Have FL22 coolant, which manual says replace at 120,000 miles.
Spark Plugs - $294.95 - Manual says, replace at 75,000 miles
Alignment - $99.95 - - No mention in manual.
Balance - $49.95 - No mention in manual.

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

Last edited:
I took my 2015 CX-5 Touring in for oil/filter/tire rotation. It has 62,908 miles. The dealer included a list of recommended services needed. I asked him if these were factory recommended services, his answer was, "yes". I hate being lied to, right to my face.

Trans Flush - $249.95 - No mention in manual of any fuel flush.
Coolant Flush - $199.95 - I Have FL22 coolant, which manual says replace at 120,000 miles.

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

Wtf! Total BS. My dealer asked me if I wanted the fuel cleaner service around that time, and asked about the plugs when I got near 75k, and when the brake fluid was at 3% moisture strongly recommended a flush, which I agreed to.

Dude...find a new dealer, and consider the brake fluid if its 2% or higher. The rest of that is BS.

Sometimes I wonder why people call them stealerships. Then I read about s*** like this.

I usually go to a large independent garage that I have used for 20 years. This time I was in a hurry and went to the dealer who is a lot closer. My mistake.

from all of those probably transmission oil drain and refill and may be brake fluid make sense. And you can do those much cheaper. If you do them, make sure to use mazda oem oil for the transmission because it is specific but any shop can do it.

Are your tires wearing funny? It is so strange to recommend an alignment when there is no indication of an alignment problem.

Total = $1,109.65[/B]
from all of those probably transmission oil drain and refill and may be brake fluid make sense. And you can do those much cheaper. If you do them, make sure to use mazda oem oil for the transmission because it is specific but any shop can do it.
I agree with cz5gt.

But the problem is the dealer quote is "Trans Flush" where I believe none of the Mazda dealer can do it, or can be authorized by Mazda North American Operations to do it with a third-party ATF cooler adapter. ATF drain-and-fill is the only legit method for CX-5's transmission maintenance but it's not on the maintenance schedule.

Although it's also not listed on our US maintenance schedule, "Brake Fluid Flush" is a legit maintenance as it's actually listed on CX-5 owner's manual maintenance schedule in 2-year interval in other regions. Or like Unobtanium's Mazda dealer did checking the brake fluid moisture level, and do the flush if it's 2% or higher.

Of course if you don't plan to keep your 62,908-mile CX-5 long, ignore these two maintenances.

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

Those are dealer-recommended services, not factory.
What I do for all my 3 Mazdas I own today:
1. regular oil change at 5K (K&N filter, cleaned every 10K, every 2 oil changes)
2. regular cabin air filter replacement (DIY) at 10k
3. ATF drain-refill: 30K, every 15K afterwards
4. Brake fluid flush: 60K
5. AWD transfer case fluid: 45K
6. Alignment: as needed (vibration while braking, abnormal wear, etc.) or 15K
7. tire rotation and balancing: 10K

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

Fuel Service - $99.95 - Use top tier gas. Use a bottle of techron 1x a year if even.
Trans Flush - $249.95 - Drain/fill yourself at 50k and every 40k therafter....or call around for Dealership drain/fill prices. Should be no more than $200 with coupon.
Brake Fluid Flush - $159.95 - Should be no more than $120 with coupon at dealership. Ensure they do a complete flush (have special machine).
Coolant Flush - $199.95 - Replace at 120,000 miles using approved coolant.
Spark Plugs - $294.95 - DIY with correct spec plugs and save yourself $250. I'd wait until 90,00 miles. Did mine at 70k miles and plugs still looked good.
Alignment - $99.95 - - Only as needed. Never had to do one yet at 106k miles.
Balance - $49.95 - As needed depending on tire wear. Free balance AND rotation at Discount Tires if tires purchased there.

Based on those prices/schedules, I easily saved a cool $750 or so not including coolant flush.

Last edited:

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

1. Shouldn't be needed if you are using top tier gas. As someone else stated, throw some Techron in if you really need to.
2. Correct. There is no flushing the transmission without an aftermarket adapter that I doubt the dealers are using. At best, do a drain and fill of the ATF.
3. Have it tested for moisture and replace if needed.
4. Ridiculous. You are absolutely correct that this fluid is fine for 120k miles or 10 years.
5. Correct. No need to touch spark plugs until 75k miles, unless you have an actual bad plug.
7. Is the car pulling, uneven wear on tires, etc? If not, no need.
8. Tires will be balanced when you get 'em rotated.

Total = $1,109.65[/B]

What a hoot. Glad you didn't bite.
Sadly, some do.
Find someone else.

Is that common now? I don't think I've ever had them balanced unless they were being mounted, or requested it special.
Upon request. At least at DT.
xtra charge?
For Discount Tire Store, they charge $20 per tire for new-tire installation, life-time nation-wide free service for tire punctuation repair, rotation, and balancing.

I usually have DT to check tire balance when I take my vehicle in for rotation. And most of time all tires are a little off and require re-balncing.

Those are dealer-recommended services, not factory.
What I do for all my 3 Mazdas I own today:
3. ATF drain-refill: 30K, every 15K afterwards
4. Brake fluid flush: 60K
5. AWD transfer case fluid: 45K
6. Alignment: as needed (vibration while braking, abnormal wear, etc.) or 15K Miles

These are just as crazy as the stealership.

Wow.

Back