Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by kinks45 View Post
    Another blunder IMO is charging extra for 3 colors...white, red and gray. Many older people like myself see this as a money grab. I remember the days when dealers would add "rust proofing", "pin stripes" just to add more markup. Charging extra for popular paint colors?? Absurd. $600 extra for red? $300 for gray?? puh-leeze!
    Those colors use a more involved and I'm assuming more expensive paint process.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Yep, as a government employee, I despise when my management comes around begging for ideas to spend the remaining budget on near the end of the fiscal year. The idiotic mentality is that if we don*t spend 100% of the budget, then we won*t be able to justify a similar budget the following year. Total crap. Why not have all unspent money go to a fund for scholarships, infrastructure, or something?
    It's why I always get pissed off when they say "we need to raise taxes"!!! You have the money.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by kinks45 View Post
    Another blunder IMO is charging extra for 3 colors...white, red and gray. Many older people like myself see this as a money grab. I remember the days when dealers would add "rust proofing", "pin stripes" just to add more markup. Charging extra for popular paint colors?? Absurd. $600 extra for red? $300 for gray?? puh-leeze!
    As Colorado Driver said--and in Mazda's defense--these are customer 3-layer colors. They offer a premium paint for a slight up-charge.

Maybe it would be different if they offered Standard Red and Standard Gray in addition to the extra-cost versions so you could get "red" without paying for it.

By the way, I just went on Toyota's RAV-4 configurator site out of curiosity. They charge $395 for red...and it's not a high-end 3 Layer color like Mazda's.

As an aside, when I was car shopping, I walked around parking lots every time I went shopping to see which colors held up the best, especially on the few Mazdas I could find (this was because of the Japanese car paint issues I heard so much about). I started off in love with the red, but I saw so many darned red SUVs in so many variants I decided I did not want to be yet another red SUV driving around, so I ended up with the Eternal Blue just to be different.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 08-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I started off in love with the red, but I saw so many darned red SUVs in so many variants I decided I did not want to be yet another red SUV driving around, so I ended up with the Eternal Blue just to be different.
    Soul Red Crystal Metallic IS different, all the other reds look dull in comparison.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Soul Red Crystal Metallic IS different, all the other reds look dull in comparison.
    No doubt, it's a beautiful color. It truly is a custom paint job at a bargain price.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

The other side to this coin is what would happen with the economy and unemployment if we suddenly became responsible and efficient? I find THAT thought to be sobering.
    We could put all that time and money we waste into worthwhile endeavors. Hallelujah!

But don't worry. We're talking about human society here, so it'll never happen.

Registered Member

We could put all that time and money we waste into worthwhile endeavors. Hallelujah!

But don't worry. We're talking about human society here, so it'll never happen.
    The wasted potential and capacity truly boggles the mind...said every philosopher ever.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

The wasted potential and capacity truly boggles the mind...said every philosopher ever.
    But it's hard to convince anyone who thinks his pay/perks/power depends on it.

Registered Member

But it's hard to convince anyone who thinks his pay/perks/power depends on it.
    Yup.

You get what you reward. You can't blame those who maximize their rewards.

Registered Member

As Colorado Driver said--and in Mazda's defense--these are customer 3-layer colors. They offer a premium paint for a slight up-charge.

Maybe it would be different if they offered Standard Red and Standard Gray in addition to the extra-cost versions so you could get "red" without paying for it.

By the way, I just went on Toyota's RAV-4 configurator site out of curiosity. They charge $395 for red...and it's not a high-end 3 Layer color like Mazda's.

As an aside, when I was car shopping, I walked around parking lots every time I went shopping to see which colors held up the best, especially on the few Mazdas I could find (this was because of the Japanese car paint issues I heard so much about). I started off in love with the red, but I saw so many darned red SUVs in so many variants I decided I did not want to be yet another red SUV driving around, so I ended up with the Eternal Blue just to be different.
    don't want to get flamed(pun intended), but I don't get the red color at all on a vehicle.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Yup.

You get what you reward. You can't blame those who maximize their rewards.
    We can work to improve the system so that it doesn't offer perverse rewards like those we are talking about and many others. It doesn't and won't happen because those who control the system are invested in it. Full circle.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
    don't want to get flamed(pun intended), but I don't get the red color at all on a vehicle.
    "There's no accounting for taste".

Registered Member

"There's no accounting for taste".
    agreed

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
    According to experts, the safest color to have is yellow, because it's highly visible. I had a '75 Vega wagon in that color (not by choice, I bought it used).

Now I'm gonna go full-circle on when I first signed up here as I was car shopping and say the only color I don't like is silver. There's a gentleman here from Australia who likes his silver Mazda...and it is a nice silver...but there was a period when silver seemed to be the only color offered. There were (are?) just so darned many of them on the road.

I ended up feeling the same way about red when I started walking around parking lots trying to decide what to choose for my CX-5. It's not a dislike, per se, it's just a level of saturation for me. And when you start looking closely as I did, you lose sight of what "red" really is. So many darned hues and foundation colors. (Reminds me of buying printing services, trying to deduce the PMS# of each car).

To your question, I think red has this reputation in our culture that women would fawn over a man driving any red car...even a station wagon.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 08-03-2019 at 08:17 PM.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

According to experts, the safest color to have is yellow, because it's highly visible. I had a '75 Vega wagon in that color (not by choice, I bought it used).
    Reminds me of my uncle whom had a yellow mid 90's Chevy Beretta.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast