Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    It looks like sales have been migrating to trucks & SUVs (lumped together in one category), but Total Sales (all vehicles) have been in the tank starting in 2016. I wonder why? The economy and employment have been doing well the past couple of years. There are still lots of 0% financing deals out there. Why is this industry missing out?
    Perhaps the economy is not as healthy for consumers as some indicators might suggest.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Jesus, not much growth since 2000.
    Heck, look at 1986. 380,000 units. Imagine how that looked in terms of market share back then, versus only 300,000 units over 3 decades later.

I hope no one took out mortgages expecting that to be the launching point for better things to come.

It's crazy, isn't it?

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Then there's this- "The Next American Car Recession Has Already Started"
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lready-started

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Perhaps the economy is not as healthy for consumers as some indicators might suggest.
    I guess.

Consumer spending is strong and continues to grow, just not in this segment.

Registered Member

Then there's this- "The Next American Car Recession Has Already Started"
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lready-started
    From the article: "Detroit is in the grips of a car recession marked by the collapse of demand for traditional sedans, which accounted for half the market just six years ago." Kinda supports those stats we were looking at, where passenger cars are declining & being replaced by trucks & SUVs.

I managed purchasing and inventory for a good part of my career, some of which was with a $500M PC reseller back in the early days of the industry. We had over 50,000 SKUs. Trying to figure out what people are going to want will drive you crazy.

At least as a reseller I could react in a real-time mode. Manufacturers are screwed worse, since they gotta plan so far out into the future...especially the car industry, where their lifecycle starts with the design process. I can't imagine...

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

I guess.

Consumer spending is strong and continues to grow, just not in this segment.
    Maybe, maybe not. Here's a relevant write-up. I'm sure we can find many varying opinions out there. But no certainty, for certain.

One thing's for sure, we're a lot better at analyzing what has happened than predicting what will, and not even very good at that.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

From the article: "Detroit is in the grips of a car recession marked by the collapse of demand for traditional sedans, which accounted for half the market just six years ago." Kinda supports those stats we were looking at, where passenger cars are declining & being replaced by trucks & SUVs.

I managed purchasing and inventory for a good part of my career, some of which was with a $500M PC reseller back in the early days of the industry. We had over 50,000 SKUs. Trying to figure out what people are going to want will drive you crazy.

At least as a reseller I could react in a real-time mode. Manufacturers are screwed worse, since they gotta plan so far out into the future...especially the car industry, where their lifecycle starts with the design process. I can't imagine...
    No wonder you like stats! CDW by any chance?

Registered Member

Maybe, maybe not. Here's a relevant write-up. I'm sure we can find many varying opinions out there. But no certainty, for certain.

One thing's for sure, we're a lot better at analyzing what has happened than predicting what will, and not even very good at that.
    Our economy is dependent upon consumer spending, which makes up for 2/3 of it. It's a hamster wheel we cannot afford to get off of. Lot of ills caused by the myriad ways we are cajoled into opening up our wallets. If we are ever satisfied and content, the whole thing will come crashing down.

"Outsourcing" is another one of those blessings/curses. It provides an unheard of standard of living (as measured by "stuff") because of the availability of cheap goods, but to some degree it costs jobs (assuming American manufacturing could even survive in a global marketplace.)

Regarding car sales, that article made an interesting point: 2/3 of spending is on things like housing & healthcare, and 1/4 in on things like groceries and clothing. Those are pretty much necessities that you can only pick at the fringes of. That leaves about 8% discretionary for durables, like cars and appliances. I don't know where education and retirement savings fit in there, but it sure seems that car sales are always at risk for either job loss or the fear of job loss.

Registered Member

No wonder you like stats! CDW by any chance?
    Nah, it was with a company that focused on government markets.

As a taxpayer, there's nothing like having government buyers call in September (and to a lesser degree, in June) and say "I have $300,000 I have to spend! Help me put together an order!!!" *sigh*

All in all I enjoyed the job. Those were the days when there was margin available in hardware and software, and I got to work with some of the pioneers who are no longer around (WordPerfect, Kaypro, Lotus, Paradise video, Ashton Tate.) Because we sold to the govenrment, we dealt with everybody (my buyers negotiated contracts with over 600 manufacturers & developers each year.) Some of the founders of those early businesses were on our board. To call them interesting characters would be an understatement....think "street person" who's actually a multi-millionaire.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

As a taxpayer, there's nothing like having government buyers call in September (and to a lesser degree, in June) and say "I have $300,000 I have to spend! Help me put together an order!!!" *sigh*
    Whoever came up with "use it or lose it" really blew it.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Another thing to consider. My 5 year old CX-5 has 70,000 miles now. It has cost me only for routine maintenance and replacement of wear and tear items (tires, brakes, etc.). I expect a long lifetime ahead for this vehicle. 30 years ago however, I would be looking at a replacement vehicle by now since I would know that major expenses were going to start happening and reliability would start to tank. In other words, to my mind, a new vehicle is now more of a want than a necessity and I would expect new vehicle demand to be less because of that.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT, 2014 Mazda6 GT

Another blunder IMO is charging extra for 3 colors...white, red and gray. Many older people like myself see this as a money grab. I remember the days when dealers would add "rust proofing", "pin stripes" just to add more markup. Charging extra for popular paint colors?? Absurd. $600 extra for red? $300 for gray?? puh-leeze!
    Previous Mazda's
    84 626
    92 Protege
    90 MPV
    97 MPV
    93 Miata
    00 626
    01 626
    03 MPV
    02 Tribute
    06 Mazda3
    09 cx-7

2017 BMW X1

Whoever came up with "use it or lose it" really blew it.
    Yep, as a government employee, I despise when my management comes around begging for ideas to spend the remaining budget on near the end of the fiscal year. The idiotic mentality is that if we don*t spend 100% of the budget, then we won*t be able to justify a similar budget the following year. Total crap. Why not have all unspent money go to a fund for scholarships, infrastructure, or something?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotaart View Post
    Another thing to consider. My 5 year old CX-5 has 70,000 miles now. It has cost me only for routine maintenance and replacement of wear and tear items (tires, brakes, etc.). I expect a long lifetime ahead for this vehicle. 30 years ago however, I would be looking at a replacement vehicle by now since I would know that major expenses were going to start happening and reliability would start to tank. In other words, to my mind, a new vehicle is now more of a want than a necessity and I would expect new vehicle demand to be less because of that.
    I always paid cash for my cars, drove them for a few years, then sold them for at least what I initially paid...many times for more than that. By buying used, I also saved on insurance and property taxes.

For me, the problem arises when you get so many miles on a vehicle that you hesitate to drive it too far from home. I got to that point with my truck (135,000). Vacation trips in it were out of the question, and rental cars just add aggravation and time to going anywhere (and where I am, the nearest rental car place is nearly an hour away). Impromptu trips are out of the question.

Last year I started to look for low-mileage used, but they hold their resale value so well (continued Cash for Clunkers impact?), that after factoring in Dealer Financing specials, I bought my new CX-5 for not much more per month that I could have purchased used. As silly as it seems, having this new car has freed me up. I've retired to a rural area with almost no traffic, and can actually enjoy driving again and take road trips just for the heck of it. I go to the beach about 160 miles away and don't give a second thought to breaking down somewhere. It doesn't take a major failure to leave you stranded, and gone are the days that carrying an extra set of points & condenser and a toolbox in the trunk is gonna get you through most emergencies.

Of course, it's all academic if you don't have the money.

To your other point, it is interesting that we used to pop the champagne if we were lucky enough to hit 100,000 on a car and not measure oil consumption in Quarts-per-Tank (I've had 2 FlatHead Six mosquito foggers cars). These days, longevity is pretty much taken for granted, even in low-end cars. I recently saw a single owner CR-V for sale that had over 400,000 on it.

It would be informative to see the historical stats for the percentage of vehicles on the road broken down by age. Understanding what people are doing different these days would help.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Yep, as a government employee, I despise when my management comes around begging for ideas to spend the remaining budget on near the end of the fiscal year. The idiotic mentality is that if we don*t spend 100% of the budget, then we won*t be able to justify a similar budget the following year. Total crap. Why not have all unspent money go to a fund for scholarships, infrastructure, or something?
    The fact is that corporate America has the same mentality.

I managed internal budgets with my last employer (Booz Allen) and we always spent every dime. In our defense, we did not waste the money...we put it towards investing in technology and business management tools that we could not otherwise get funding for.

Everyone does it.

The other side to this coin is what would happen with the economy and unemployment if we suddenly became responsible and efficient? I find THAT thought to be sobering.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast