Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

Just walked around my office and asked 7 co-workers:
    Is Mazda its own company or it is owned by someone else?

4 votes for own company
    1 vote for "Volvo or Subaru own Mazda"
    2 votes for Ford, one of them being from a former Mazda owner who had one back when Ford DID own a piece.

I stand by that: the gen pop is pretty clueless.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post

4 votes for own company
    2 votes for Ford, one of them being from a former Mazda owner who had one back when Ford DID own a piece.

I agree. I've had several peeps I thought were somewhat car savvy say, "Why did you buy that Ford?"
    -These folks may get their wish or be right again soon, it just won't be Ford. Mazda is on the path to be bought out and become a watered down product. One could only hope it's turned into a performance/luxury brand, but anyone buying out Mazda most likely already has both of these.

Most of the CRV owners didn't even bother to drive another competitor's vehicle. "It's a Honda."

Most buy the KIA for the warranty and their advertising of said warranty and cheap payments/leases gets them in the door.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post

4 votes for own company

More or less what I was getting at.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    Subaru used to be known as, and was also a subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries. They make far more than vehicles. So they arenít really just a stand alone brand.

Therefore their pockets are much deeper than poor Mazdaís and can withstand far more market turbulence.

Having said that they probably know their customers far better than most brands. 90+ months of growth is quite impressive.

Subaru is a smaller company but sells far more vehicles. People buy them because of their AWD system. That's their 'thing'. Went to Portland and Seattle for the first time a few months ago and they are ALL over the place. I rented a Crosstek while I was there and thought it was a pretty nice vehicle, and wasn't as slow as I thought it would be.

What's is Mazda's 'thing'? Budget luxury? Driving dynamics? I just don't think either of those things are going to get consumers to buy their vehicles. People care about reliability, cargo space, pricing, technology and MPG.

They're doing a great job of appealing to enthusiasts but enthusiasts aren't going to help keep them afloat.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I think we all know what Mazda needs to do. They need to shift gears with their advertisements to encourage people to make the trip to their closest Mazda dealership (because there aren't that many around).

The Honda commercial with the dad making obnoxious engine sounds while the daughter laughs in the back seat is a good, memorable commercial.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    Subaru is a smaller company but sells far more vehicles. People buy them because of their AWD system. That's their 'thing'. Went to Portland and Seattle for the first time a few months ago and they are ALL over the place. I rented a Crosstek while I was there and thought it was a pretty nice vehicle, and wasn't as slow as I thought it would be.
    I drove a Crosstek too. In the mountains of PA around State College. Its a pig when you ask it for power you get a whine. That's about it.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post

What's is Mazda's 'thing'? Budget luxury? Driving dynamics? I just don't think either of those things are going to get consumers to buy their vehicles. People care about reliability, cargo space, pricing, technology and MPG.

They're doing a great job of appealing to enthusiasts but enthusiasts aren't going to help keep them afloat.
    Totally agree I have always said that even the 10 years I worked for them. They need to do and sell what people want and what other manufactures are selling. They have always been a very ignorant company regarding this stuff when you talk the the reps and what not. For instance we always asked why doesn*t Mazda have a integrated remote start option. You would always get the response from the higher ups. Well that*s not what people want. Excuse me? Most of our customers asked for that when I would help them when they came in for service or for their service introduction to me. That*s just one example. And it*s costing them.

Donated: $40

Mazda

I'm about to spend 40k+ on what should be a GenPee. If Mazda would just turbocharge that AWD 3 and Mazdaspeed it, they'd have my money without a doubt.

I'm forced to look elsewhere because I don't want an SUV that doesn't go offroad. I want what Mazda was BUILT on. A quick, inexpensive little Japanese poor-man's BMW. Like a Mazdapeed 3 or a Mazdaspeed Protege, or a 323GTX or an RX-4 or....I could keep going through generations of cool little turbocharged cars from Mazda that are now extinct.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    They need to shift gears with their advertisements to encourage people to make the trip to their closest Mazda dealership (because there aren't that many around).
    That is so market specific. Ohio loves Mazda.
    6 dealers within 30 miles of my home address. 3 within 15 miles lest you think all 6 are far away. And there's another 41 miles away.

The Honda commercial with the dad making obnoxious engine sounds while the daughter laughs in the back seat is a good, memorable commercial.
    One of the most memorable for me is this little kid... probably 12 years old...and he says these 2 words.... Oh what the hell was it?!? 🤪😆
    In recent memory, Subarus commercial with the dad telling the toddler to be safe in the car, and she becomes the teenager. Brilliant. Impossible to forget the little girl "Daddy, ok..." LoL
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post

I think we all know what Mazda needs to do. They need to shift gears with their advertisements to encourage people to make the trip to their closest Mazda dealership (because there aren't that many around).

I've been saying this as well.

I see lots of non-Mazda ads created for nationwide airing, with balloons and discounts and 0% financing.

The only Mazda ads I see are by the local dealer, and they are leasing deals on the 6 and the CX-5 Sport trim...there are no "Come on in today!" ads and no discounts and no 0% financing deals and no balloons. And how deep is the leasing market???

The only reason I went in to the Mazda dealer in the first place is they were next to the nearest Carmax, and research told me I did not want the oil-dilution of a CR-V. Subsequent research sold me on the brand, but Mazda was never on my short list or my long list.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Registered Member

Here are Global Sales/Net Income (pre-tax)/Net Income as a % of Sales, in USD ($M)

2018....$31,961....$1,449....5%
    2017....$29,572....$1,181....4%
    2016....$31,341....$1,536....5%
    2015....$27,912....$1,926....7%
    2014....$24,769 ...$896.......4%
    2013....$20,288 ...$360.......2%
    2012....$18,704 ...($508)....-3%
    2011....$21,396....$148.......1%
    2010....$19,908....($67)......0%
    2009....$23,330....($472)....-2%
    2008....$31,977....$1,317.....4%

This is from their 2018 Financial Statement.
    Original amounts were in Yen.
    The above dollars used today's exchange rate, so there are specific-year conversion imperfections; however, this is an accurate depiction of the trend because it is not distorted by exchange rate variations.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 08-03-2019 at 12:23 AM.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Current data here:https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_usa_2019

Mazda's share is down just a small fraction. Is it anything grossly out of the ordinary beyond typical annual fluctuations considering current industry conditions?

Of course a 13.9% decrease YTD YOY is nothing to celebrate. But it's only down 3.5% for July, so the trend is improving.

Registered Member

Interesting website.

The problem with looking at snapshots is--as you know--they lack context. So I looked at July 2018 Passenger Cars vs July 2017 Passenger Cars to see if 2018 might be an abnormally high year (making it a poor reference point), and it was actually 17% LOWER than 2017!!!

Here are calendar year comparisons:

2019ytd vs 2018ytd: Passenger cars -9%, all vehicles -1.5%
    2018 vs 2017: Passenger cars -13%, all vehicles +0.3%
    2017 vs 2016: Passenger cars -11%, all vehicles -1.8%
    2016 vs 2015: Passenger cars -8%, all vehicles +0.4%
    2015 vs 2014: Passenger cars -2%, all vehicles +5.7%
    2014 vs 2013: Passenger cars +2%, all vehicles +10.0%
    2013 vs 2012: Passenger cars +5%, all vehicles +7.6%

It looks like sales have been migrating to trucks & SUVs (lumped together in one category), but Total Sales (all vehicles) have been in the tank starting in 2016. I wonder why? The economy and employment have been doing well the past couple of years. There are still lots of 0% financing deals out there. Why is this industry missing out?
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 08-03-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Jesus, not much growth since 2000.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast