2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

CPO sales are impressive and have been for awhile.

Perhaps people are not sold on these higher priced "luxury" vehicles? (scratch) I know only way I'd shell out cash for a new Mazda at this point is for a new to me one (CPO).

I'm not interested in paying more than $30k for a car. That's not from lack of ability, but that's just me. It's a depreciating asset, and the turbo for me is the only worthwhile upgrade over my 2014.

Turbo + Hud only things I want from the new car.

It is pretty incredible how many times this has been said in a Mazda PR release:
"Mazdas best-selling vehicle in the U.S., the CX-5, saw its best *insert month name here* ever with xx,xxx sold"

I.m in Colombia. Until about six years ago Mazdas, at least some of them were assembled in Bogota along with Fords. That assembly operation closed down, I guess sales weren,t, strong enough. I owned a B2600 4x4 pickuo assembled there and it was excellent. Now all Mazdas come from Japan I,m told.

Turbo + Hud only things I want from the new car.

It is pretty incredible how many times this has been said in a Mazda PR release:
"Mazdas best-selling vehicle in the U.S., the CX-5, saw its best *insert month name here* ever with xx,xxx sold"

Yeah, but sales of the CX-5 are down this year versus last (~6%). People wanted a 2.5T and nobody is buying. The 3 is a gorgeous car that looks fantastic on the road. It needs an engine to match. The 2.0 and 2.5 NA engines are tired and dated. And not premium.

The people who come to a Mazda showroom are balking at the cost of their cars. Even today, getting an oil change for my CX-5, two guys walked buy the new Mazda 3, looked at the price and question who would spend 30K on a Mazda? They have no clue but that is Mazda's problem.

How is the OD issue in the CRV any different then the cylinder deactivation feature in the CX-5 causing engine parts to literally fall out of their place?
Whoa there Paulson, where did I say anything about the cylinder deactivation issue in the CX-5, or compared it to the Honda issues? That's right, nowhere.
Someone else mentioned the OD issue with the Honda, and I just thought I'd take a little swipe at Honda as an add-on, more for fun than anything else.
I could go on about my personal issues and thoughts on and with Honda and Acura in general, but I won't bore you with that. Let's just leave it with, I'm not a Honda fan boy.
If you want my feelings on the cylinder deactivation issue with Mazda, I will say I absolutely agree that it's serious. It doesn't look good on Mazda.
In fact, knowing what I know now, I would not buy a Mazda vehicle that has that feature. Thankfully my 2017 6 doesn't have it.
Nuff said.

How are the other manufacturers doing in terms of CARS?

I know, almost everyone at my work and in my social circle are all upgrading to CUV's or SUV's. For every 5 people who've bought a new vehicle, 4 of them were SUV/CUV's.

It really doesn't surprise me that the car segment is down at ALL.

Myself, after owning 3 cars in my life, I moved to the CX-5 this year. I don't think I'd ever go back - maybe for a Tesla if the price comes down (not the SUV, the 3).

I know, almost everyone at my work and in my social circle are all upgrading to CUV's or SUV's. For every 5 people who've bought a new vehicle, 4 of them were SUV/CUV's.

Myself, after owning 3 cars in my life, I moved to the CX-5 this year. I don't think I'd ever go back - maybe for a Tesla if the price comes down (not the SUV, the 3).

There are some solid bargains in used Sedan market. You get a mix of luxury / mpg / comfort / safety in the 15-20K market without even trying hard.

Yeah, most car sales are down. Altima sales are down 5-8%, Civic sales are down 3-5%, etc. But they are going from 30,000 cars to 28,500. The Mazda 3 has been going down 10% every month for 39 straight months (YOY) and 47/48 months overall. I will predict that in the USA, Mazda will sell less than 2000 Mazda 3's in one month before the end of the year.

But what is killing Mazda is not so much the USA sales but the absolute devastating drop in sales in China.

People wanted a 2.5T and nobody is buying.

The people who come to a Mazda showroom are balking at the cost of their cars. Even today, getting an oil change for my CX-5, two guys walked buy the new Mazda 3, looked at the price and question who would spend 30K on a Mazda? They have no clue but that is Mazda's problem.

Count me in that. I wouldn't mind a turbo CX-5. I ain't paying over $30k (OTD) for it though.

Just got a notice on my phone since I own 3 shares of Mazda stock: Just hit a 52 week low. $4.49.

Yeah, but sales of the CX-5 are down this year versus last (~6%). People wanted a 2.5T and nobody is buying. The 3 is a gorgeous car that looks fantastic on the road. It needs an engine to match. The 2.0 and 2.5 NA engines are tired and dated. And not premium.

The lack of rear legroom is a downright dealbreaker for me with the 3. The Corolla has Camry like rear legroom compared to the 3. It*s so cramped that the Skyactiv-X engine wouldn*t be enough to sway me into considering a 3. If the Skyactiv-X becomes tried and true reliable, I*d consider it in the format of a 6 as it would be much more family friendly.

Yeah rear legroom in the new 3 is lacking. Didnt they move to the torsion beam for supposed extra legroom (and obvious cost savings)???

The lack of rear legroom is a downright dealbreaker for me with the 3. The Corolla has Camry like rear legroom compared to the 3. It*s so cramped that the Skyactiv-X engine wouldn*t be enough to sway me into considering a 3. If the Skyactiv-X becomes tried and true reliable, I*d consider it in the format of a 6 as it would be much more family friendly.

I wanted a 3 but went with the 6 because I haul people back there on the weekends.

I wanted a 3 but went with the 6 because I haul people back there on the weekends.

YES!

I think I might hold out for the in-line 6 Skyactiv X in the Mazda 6. It*ll be a few years but the CX5 is just broken in :D

Just got a notice on my phone since I own 3 shares of Mazda stock: Just hit a 52 week low. $4.49.

Without knowing the details behind Mazda's drop, it's Summer Selling Season.

My 401(k) was flying high, and the past couple of days the entire market has taken a beating.

Without knowing the details behind Mazda's drop, it's Summer Selling Season.

My 401(k) was flying high, and the past couple of days the entire market has taken a beating.

Yeah, trade issues are making this a rough year and there is uncertainty. Mazda at that price, is a buy target. I can see Toyota buying them. Mazda will be the new Scion.

Yeah, trade issues are making this a rough year and there is uncertainty. Mazda at that price, is a buy target. I can see Toyota buying them. Mazda will be the new Scion.

If they purchase Mazda they should make it into an affordable performance line dubbed "Toyota RXD". Toyota RX Development featuring the Supra/ RX-9 twins.

I don't know if you've seen my other posts from Mazda's 2018 financial statements, but it speaks of of joint ventures with Toyota.

-They are going to be co-developing an electric car.
-They're teaming up to manufacture in the states.

Here's the history of the Mazda/Toyota relationship excerpted from those financials. I'll put up everything, since you're investing in them. I shall refrain from buying stock so as to assure your success with it ;)

-Nov. 2012 Agreement is reached with Toyota on Toyota vehicle production at Mazdas new plant in Mexico
-May 2015 Toyota and Mazda enter into an agreement geared toward the establishment of a business partnership
-Aug. 2017 Memorandum of understanding with Toyota concerning a business and capital alliance is concluded -Mar. 2018 MTMUS, a joint venture company with Toyota is established

Furthermore, in August 2017 Mazda and Toyota Motor Corporation (hereinafter called Toyota) signed an agreement to enter a business and capital alliance, with the aim of further strengthening our lasting partnership. Specifically, the two companies agreed to establish a joint venture final assembly plant to produce vehicles in the United States, to jointly develop technologies for electric vehicles (EVs), to collaborate in the area of next-generation technologies, including connected technologies and advanced safety technologies, and to further complement each others product lineup. In October 2017, in accordance with the agreement, Mazda and Toyota each acquired shares of the other company in order to develop and strengthen their long-term partnership and to pursue ongoing collaboration in a manner that respects the autonomy and equality of each company.

There is a statement elsewhere that the technology for the electric vehicles will be provided by Toyota.

In March 2018, in cooperation with Toyota we established a joint venture company for the production of vehicles in the United States, and preparations are under way for the start of production in 2021.

In addition, we will progress our alliances with Toyota and other companies [emphasis mine] and leverage the start of operations at the new plant in the United States as we work to establish a global production and sales framework with a capacity of 2 million units annually by the March 2025 fiscal year.

As of March, Toyota owns 5% of Mazda's stock.

Thanks for summarizing that so well!

I've visited Huntsville, AL twice in the last couple of months. The joint Toyota-Mazda plant there is a big talk of the town. With Toyota's lean manufacturing principles and Mazda's premium design features, it looks like a great business relationship moving forward. Mazda is lacking on the electric front and Toyota is lacking on the ride quality. By committing to a joint effort in the states that should help them be as competitive as possible while mitigating trade risks (tariffs).

Back