2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

Pretty sure every car company has "special" colors now. In fact I think Volvo only offers 2 colors without an upcharge.

Pretty sure every car company has "special" colors now. In fact I think Volvo only offers 2 colors without an upcharge.

I did a cursory look at the CR-V "build your own" page after I looked at the RAV-4 page. For that model Honda, there are no up-charge colors.

The fact is that corporate America has the same mentality.

I managed internal budgets with my last employer (Booz Allen) and we always spent every dime. In our defense, we did not waste the money...we put it towards investing in technology and business management tools that we could not otherwise get funding for.

Everyone does it.

The other side to this coin is what would happen with the economy and unemployment if we suddenly became responsible and efficient? I find THAT thought to be sobering.

As far as corporate America is concerned, I dont find that behavior as irritating because theyre only eating into their own profits and spending the extra on R&D or facilities is a decent investment. The USG, however, is throwing away taxpayer money on things with far worse upside. Hence my proposal for excess funds at the end of the year to roll into to real investments, like education.

As far as corporate America is concerned, I don*t find that behavior as irritating because they*re only eating into their own profits and spending the extra on R&D or facilities is a decent investment. The USG, however, is throwing away taxpayer money on things with far worse upside. Hence my proposal for excess funds at the end of the year to roll into to real investments, like education.

Well said.

Crap. Beat me to it. Well done.

It's only funny 'cause we don't drive a Honda.

I sure dodged a bullet when I bought my CX-5.
The CR-V was on the top of my list...it's a Honda, for goodness sake!

It's only funny 'cause we don't drive a Honda.

I sure dodged a bullet when I bought my CX-5.
The CR-V was on the top of my list...it's a Honda, for goodness sake!

My brother in law wasn't so lucky. He bought one last year and dumped it 8 months later. Long story. Bad oil dilution and worse dealer (non) support.

My brother in law wasn't so lucky. He bought one last year and dumped it 8 months later. Long story. Bad oil dilution and worse dealer (non) support.

I feel so bad for people. I read some of the owner's forums and hear of oil changes every 1,000 miles.

What is insane is that only the guys who check/change their own oil are gonna know, unless the person who changes their oil (usually drained by the same guy who sweeps the shop floor) notices the loss of viscosity/smell of gas and says something.

Imagine all those cars with all those miles of reduced-to-no lubrication.
The whole thing is infuriating, for the obvious reasons.

I feel so bad for people.
What is insane is that only the guys who check/change their own oil are gonna know,

Yup. I'm guessing that upwards of 90% of CR-V owners have no idea what's going on or are aware of the issue.
Soccer moms and dads blissfully driving around, never checking the oil and only relying on the maintenance scheduler in the car to remind them to go for an oil change.
If there is gas in the oil, the grunt doing the oil change at the dealership is sure as heck not going to mention it or report it.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda has sent down a decree to all dealerships not to mention the problem unless forced to admit it by a persistent customer.
Deny deny deny.
Most CR-V buyers are not car people. They bought them as an appliance.

My research last Fall left me wary of Direct Inject engines in general, but what are you gonna do about that? Even Mazda issued a TSB about it in 2017, which concluded
Engine oil dilution by fuel is a common phenomenon for gasoline engines that occurs when the vehicle is driven in specific conditions, and not a problem. There is no problem as long as extraordinary short trips are not taken.

You research as best you can and hope for the best. Or I could have had the body work done on my 1990 Volvo and saved the $$$$. 1,500 miles away from turning 200,000 and Bambi suicided on it...

Yup. I'm guessing that upwards of 90% of CR-V owners have no idea what's going on or are aware of the issue.
Soccer moms and dads blissfully driving around, never checking the oil and only relying on the maintenance scheduler in the car to remind them to go for an oil change.
If there is gas in the oil, the grunt doing the oil change at the dealership is sure as heck not going to mention it or report it.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda has sent down a decree to all dealerships not to mention the problem unless forced to admit it by a persistent customer.
Deny deny deny.

How is the OD issue in the CRV any different then the cylinder deactivation feature in the CX-5 causing engine parts to literally fall out of their place?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mazda-recall-262000-cars-suvs-cylinder-deactivation-issues/
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...eactivation-trouble-on-2018-CX-5-and-6-models

Anyway, I highly doubt a 'software update' going to fix this. Cylinder deactivation is just something auto companies have a hard time getting right. It baffles me that Mazda included this for a whopping 1 MPG extra. No chance I EVER get any vehicle with cylinder deactivation.

It's decisions like these where Mazda shoots itself in the foot. They include a feature that no one asked for in a SUV all to gain an 1 extra MPG and now they have to recall 250k+ vehicles to perform a software update. An update which will probably just mask the problem temporarily but not fix it.

Last edited:
Deny deny deny.
How is the OD issue in the CRV any different then the cylinder deactivation feature in the CX-5 causing engine parts to literally fall out of their place?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mazda-recall-262000-cars-suvs-cylinder-deactivation-issues/
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...eactivation-trouble-on-2018-CX-5-and-6-models

Anyway, I highly doubt a 'software update' going to fix this. Cylinder deactivation is just something auto companies have a hard time getting right. It baffles me that Mazda included this for a whopping 1 MPG extra. No chance I EVER get any vehicle with cylinder deactivation.

It's decisions like these where Mazda shoots itself in the foot. They include a feature that no one asked for in a SUV all to gain an 1 extra MPG and now they have to recall 250k+ vehicles to perform a software update. An update which will probably just mask the problem temporarily but not fix it.
Well said. We can replace the criticism on wording of OD for Honda CR-V with CD for Mazda CX-5, everything applies.

MPG gain with CD based on EPA fuel economy ratings is UP TO 1 MPG as in many categories there's no gain.

We also have seen reports with strange Low Oil Pressure warning light on new CX-5 which may also related to cylinder deactivation. Not to mention many historically known issues inherited from CD

And I also agree that software update alone can't truly fix the problem on Mazda's CD. The modification on cylinder head with a physical wall or something which prevents the rocker arm falling off is definitely needed. The rocker arms simply can't fall by oil pressure changes, because oil pressure can vary in wide range, and it depends on many factors such as oil viscosity.

And yes, Mazda's decision adding questionable CD feature to get minimum fuel saving definitely hurts their sales, me and a friend of mine included.

Yeah in this case I am totally in agreement. I wouldn't want any Mazda with CD after reading and catching up on that issue and how they are "remedying" it.

And July sales down further. The Mazda 3 has had month over month decline for 39 straight months. Thirty nine months. That car is done. Put a fork in it. The 6 is done. The thing is so done that a fork has no where to stick.

In terms of sales, Mazda is now closer to Mitsubishi than it is to Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Subaru.

And this is with the best version of their cars ever.

CPO sales are impressive and have been for awhile.

July
July-2019-Sales-1024x508.jpg

IRVINE, Calif. (Aug. 1, 2019) * Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported total July sales of 23,292 vehicles, a decrease of 3.5 percent compared to July 2018. Sales through July saw a decrease of 13.9 percent, with 161,847 vehicles sold. With 25 selling days in July, compared to 24 the year prior, the company posted a decrease of 7.3 percent on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis.

Mazda*s best-selling vehicle in the U.S., the CX-5, saw its best July ever with 13,391 vehicles sold, an increase of nearly 10 percent. This month also saw best-ever July results for CX-3 with 1,523 vehicles sold, an increase of nearly 10 percent. July sales of the MX-5 increased 31.4 percent compared to July 2018, with 1,109 vehicles sold.

CPO sales totaled 5,533 vehicles in July, an increase of 18 percent compared to July 2018. CPO sales through July increased 19 percent, with 35,787 vehicles sold.

And July sales down further. The Mazda 3 has had month over month decline for 39 straight months. Thirty nine months. That car is done. Put a fork in it. The 6 is done. The thing is so done that a fork has no where to stick.

In terms of sales, Mazda is now closer to Mitsubishi than it is to Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Subaru.

And this is with the best version of their cars ever.

I think they need to get out of producing cars and just stick to SUVs like Ford. There was a comparison just posted this morning on MotorTrend between the new 3 and Civic and Corolla and the 3 came in 3rd.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...0-toyota-corolla-2019-mazda3-comparison-test/

Back