2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

LOL.. I'm 41 and I got my CX-5 because one of my complaints was my 6 was "too damn low to the ground" LOL.

I'm not even a boomer and I'm already complaining! Lol

I'm 28 and that was a major reason as well. I have long legs dammit. I also wanted an AWD vehicle and something that I could load up if I had to. This last weekend I loaded up some bi-fold doors in the back and they fit no problem. In the past it has been moving, or there's the times I bought new desks. Very handy. But every time I have had a low to the ground rental car I groan trying to get out of them.

Two interesting tables:

New SUV Buyers By Age Group
Age 24 and younger...<1%
Age 25 to 54..............43%
Age 55 to 64..............26%
Age 65 and up............31%

New Mazda Buyers by Age Group
Age 24 and younger......1%
Age 25 to 54..............47%
Age 55 to 64..............28%
Age 65 and up............24%

Lots and lots of other interesting vehicle buyer stats there.

I guess I fit in that less than 1% new Mazda buyer demographic. I was 22 when I bought mine. It replaced a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was just shy of 300k miles. I want to say 292 to 295k on the odometer when I finally replaced it.

Last edited:
Look at the RAV4 hybrid for example, Toyota can*t keep enough in stock and you will likely see the same thing withthe CRV hybrid

You cannot discount the fact that people will always buy Toyota and Honda because they're simply Toyota and Honda. I'm nowhere near brand loyal myself, but if I had to buy a truck today, it'd be a Yota or nothing. I loved Hondas 15-20 years ago, but I wouldn't buy one today at all. I mean I would, maybe, if the Civic Type R wasn't so damn ugly.

Below 200HP? Can't believe so many can stand driving around with underpowered vehicles.
Are you serious? My car is more then meeting my needs at 187HP. I know how to drive, not missing that 13HP. (drive)

From Mazda for Sept:

Mazda-September-Sales-2019-1024x465.jpg

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-reports-september-sales-results/

Last edited:
Are you serious? My car is more then meeting my needs at 187HP. I know how to drive, not missing that 13HP. (drive)

Yeah, my CX-5 feels rather peppy and drives quite well. No complaints.

EDIT: That said, the same engine in the Gen 2 sucked since it's a heavier car. Was far less peppy and responsive than my CX-5.

Yeah, my CX-5 feels rather peppy and drives quite well. No complaints.

EDIT: That said, the same engine in the Gen 2 sucked since it's a heavier car. Was far less peppy and responsive than my CX-5.

The grass is greener on the 2.5T side. It's quieter too. ;)

The way I read this is that premium car sales are up world-wide, while mid-tier cars are tanking. Basically you either buy an economy car or a luxury.

The way I read this is that premium car sales are up world-wide, while mid-tier cars are tanking. Basically you either buy an economy car or a luxury.

This fits with the theme of the disappearing middle class. World is turning back into lords and peasants!

I am surprised it look this long...

Long gone are the years that you could get a new car for 1/4 at the most of ones salary.

I can't ever remember that to be the case. When I was 21 years old, my annual salary was $11,000. A Mazda RX7 was $9700 out the door. I doubt that there were any cars out there for $2700.

This fits with the theme of the disappearing middle class. World is turning back into lords and peasants!

As soon as someone can define "middle class," I'll start to worry.

In the meantime, let's continue to converse with our fellow repressed new car owners ;)

IMHO, Mazda needs more CUVs in the showrooms (CX3 is really too small), and need customers willing to walk in to cross-shop. I have referred two co-workers to look at Mazdas (they knew I got 3 in my household).
Both ended up buying Mazdas that were not on their shopping list (guess what, Honda and Toyota).

...and need customers willing to walk in to cross-shop.

They really don't do much to get people into the showrooms or behind the wheel for test drives. And many times you gotta go out of your way to even find a Mazda dealer.

I only went in because they were next to the Carmax I was already shopping at.

It's really insane, these cars sell themselves once folks sit in the seat.

And many times you gotta go out of your way to even find a Mazda dealer.

But that is very regional. In NEO (North East Ohio) you're never more then 10 miles from a Mazda dealer. They're almost like spiders in your home. :D

They really don't do much to get people into the showrooms or behind the wheel for test drives. And many times you gotta go out of your way to even find a Mazda dealer.

I only went in because they were next to the Carmax I was already shopping at.

It's really insane, these cars sell themselves once folks sit in the seat.

I agree, they need to offer more incentive to get people to test drive the cars or get them in the dealership doors. I might be in a 4Runner or a GX470 right now (and bored out of my mind during my daily commutes) if I didn't stop at the Mazda dealer to find out more about the nice looking CX-9 parked out front.

Some makes offer gift cards in exchange for setting up a test drive at some auto shows. I wonder if Mazda does that.

I can't ever remember that to be the case. When I was 21 years old, my annual salary was $11,000. A Mazda RX7 was $9700 out the door. I doubt that there were any cars out there for $2700.

And at a low 8.95% APR, where the words APR might not have meant what they do today.

Unfortunately, you are right. You can see it everywhere and it will eventually cause major problems.

Mazda's sales numbers are down worldwide and China is looking particularly bad. Their biggest problem is their marketing. The commercials are terrible and poorly targeted. The ones they show on NFL games are particularly bad - extremely feminine. The world is about marketing. Having the best product is meaningless.

I don't know about that........ Driving around, I cannot believe the number of high-end luxury vehicles and huge SUV's on the road. Not to mention all those $50k+ full size pickups. Must be an awful lot of "Lords" out there!

But that is very regional. In NEO (North East Ohio) you're never more then 10 miles from a Mazda dealer. They're almost like spiders in your home. :D

That's interesting.

There are 4 dealers within 100 miles of me here in rural central Virginia...just 3 within 50 miles.

When I search where I used to live in Northern Virginia outside of DC, there are still only 11 dealers within 50 miles. And 2 of those are stretching the truth to say they're only 50 miles away.

I don't know about that........ Driving around, I cannot believe the number of high-end luxury vehicles and huge SUV's on the road. Not to mention all those $50k+ full size pickups. Must be an awful lot of "Lords" out there!

I don't know. How many of those people are massively in debt?

Back