Will the CX9 fit in my garage?

amr1001

I want to buy/lease a new CX9 but concerned that it will be too tight in my garage and I will be regularly stressed entering and exiting, worrying about damaging the door or more like the mirrors. I don't want to spend the money for the GT with auto folding mirrors. The touring premium is enough for me.

According my research, the Width is 78", and mirror-to-mirror it's 87". My garage door width is 93-94". This will leave only 3" of buffer on each side.

Am I right to be concerned here? It doesnt seem like a lot.

Looking for any thoughts and POV to help my make a decision. I love the CX9 but could also be happy with the CX5.

It depends on how diligent you are. Get the GT with folding mirrors to be safe, or get used to folding your mirrors in and clenching your starfish every time you pull in/out of the garage. I had the same dilemma when I lived in a townhouse with a garage door that had a similar width. I would open the window and pull the side mirror in every time, but this got really annoying in the winter.

3" on each side should be plenty if you're just pulling straight in/out? If you do happen to clip the garage door frame with a mirror, it should not cause too much, if any, damage as the mirrors fold forward and backwards so that they don't simply snap off when pushed on in a parking lot or in situations like this.

We have a double-width garage door that is a tight fit for both my CX-9 and my wife's car (VW Tiguan) but it's certainly doable with caution (I end up having to pull in and fully turn the wheel right and then back to the left to straighten out). If I just pulled straight in (I park on the right side), I would not be able to open the driver's door to get out.

If you do happen to clip the garage door frame with a mirror, it should not cause too much, if any, damage as the mirrors fold forward and backwards so that they don't simply snap off when pushed on in a parking lot or in situations like this.

Even if you're going really slowly, clipping the door frame will, at the very least, cause scuffing on the black plastic, or scratches on the painted side mirror cap. What's more likely to happen is a cracked housing or cracked mirror cap. I've actually clipped a garage door frame while backing out with my old Lexus, and the side mirror did fold out, but the housing also cracked. I had my foot on the brake the whole time so I wasn't flying out either. It was expensive and too labor intensive for me at the time to replace, so I just had to live with seeing the crack every time I looked in the mirror.

Back