2017~2024 First automatic. Failure to launch well.

Apologize for the confusion. To be clear, I'm not saying that you can actually launch the CX-5 like a Macan with launch control using the things I mentioned. I'm just saying that you can improve acceleration from a standstill without torque braking by using the PC or SB to make the gas pedal more responsive. It does this by forcing the throttle body to open faster. It won't launch like the Macan in the second video, but it will feel more like an analog throttle cable instead of the modulated drive-by-wire system. Meaning if it takes you .1 second to floor the pedal, the throttle body will open in .1 second. Without the PC/SB, it doesn't matter if you floor the pedal in .1 second, it will always take .5 seconds to go from closed to wide open.

You didn't watch the videos, did you?

Product is legit...just doesn't claim to minimize 0-60 times but rather offer more control over pedal/throttle dynamics. If it was closer to $150 I'd get one!!

That said some folks DO claim that they minimized 0-60 times. I've yet to come across that claim for a Skyactiv owner though.

Very interesting. Thanks for all the info, guys. Yes, something that tricks my brain into thinking it's getting what it wants would be great. I don't see myself dropping $300 on a device to override Mazda's engineering, at least until my powertrain warranty is expired, but it's nice to know there are options out there.

Mostly I was just thinking I must've been doing something wrong. This car isn't cheap, it's widely seen as "the driver's" mainstream compact crossover, and it does feel fairly sporty for its size when you stomp on the gas already rolling. But when I tell it to go from a stop it just sits there a bit thinking about what its next move is going to be. I've had much less powerful cars before, and turbos before, this 1 second hesitation off the line is just completely new to me. Feels like it's in some kind of eco or super-safety mode, and I'm getting the message here that I'd better not try to have fun with it.

My last car was a 2004 volvo, I'd pull away by feathering the clutch at 2000-3000 as a matter of course, and rocket off with a smile on my face. I put 170k on the original clutch and never had any issues with it. Never had any issues w/ any manual transmission in 23 years of spirited driving. But now I need something bigger than a sedan, so it's a new world I guess...at least until I can afford that Macan (and the hefty Macan-ic costs I'm sure come with it).

Very interesting. Thanks for all the info, guys. Yes, something that tricks my brain into thinking it's getting what it wants would be great. I don't see myself dropping $300 on a device to override Mazda's engineering, at least until my powertrain warranty is expired, but it's nice to know there are options out there.

Mostly I was just thinking I must've been doing something wrong. This car isn't cheap, it's widely seen as "the driver's" mainstream compact crossover, and it does feel fairly sporty for its size when you stomp on the gas already rolling. But when I tell it to go from a stop it just sits there a bit thinking about what its next move is going to be. I've had much less powerful cars before, and turbos before, this 1 second hesitation off the line is just completely new to me. Feels like it's in some kind of eco or super-safety mode, and I'm getting the message here that I'd better not try to have fun with it.

My last car was a 2004 volvo, I'd pull away by feathering the clutch at 2000-3000 as a matter of course, and rocket off with a smile on my face. I put 170k on the original clutch and never had any issues with it. Never had any issues w/ any manual transmission in 23 years of spirited driving. But now I need something bigger than a sedan, so it's a new world I guess...at least until I can afford that Macan (and the hefty Macan-ic costs I'm sure come with it).

The base Macan is a terrible buy vs the cx5 turbo, cost for feature, imo.

With a CX-5 diesel auto (twin sequential turbos) I found the quickest way to go was using manual mode.

I have a Tiguan diesel DSG now and find the quickest way to go is using auto in sport... I rarely use the paddles.

Please, someone do THIS.

Someone is trying over on the Mazda6 forums, but it doesn't seem to be going well. All Mazda tuning is done remotely by OV Philippines, and it seems that they just can't seem to get the tune just right.

One thing I have noticed is that if you STOMP on it, you do not get the best jump. A more gradual application of the throttle that goes all the way to the floor [but no more than about a second] gets me moving better.

With a CX-5 diesel auto (twin sequential turbos) I found the quickest way to go was using manual mode.

Ah! These do help, thank you. Especially manual mode! I don't know why it took me so long to try that. Been trying here and there the past week now and there's MUCH less hesitation in manual mode. Feels like I start moving pretty much right away, when in auto I'm just stationary for at least a half second. I'm learning to drive an auto! Anyone with a 2.5T notice the same difference?

Back