Hands on Wheel Warning

leeharvey418

:
2019 CX-5 Signature; 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD
Ive had my CX-5 for two weeks and already have 2000 miles on it. I absolutely love it, but I seem to have a personal compatibility issue with the LAS.

Twice now, Ive been on a straight stretch of highway where the road camber is such that I dont need to make any steering input, and it throws a Hands on Wheel warning. It takes a little more jostling the wheel than I think is reasonable to clear the warning, though activating the turn signal to change lanes seems to do the trick. I havent had the issue where the road camber is pulling me to the left, but I really dont want to be the guy who is constantly running in the left lane.

Has anybody else run into this, and found a better solution than either swerving or changing lanes?

So to be clear, are your hands on the wheel or not when this happens?

Theyre on the wheel, but since theres no need for steering input, Im not exerting any torque on the steering wheel.

It shouldn't be happening. I'd see if the dealer can adjust the sensitivity or time threshold.
You could just turn it off, but it's such a nice feature when it works properly.

They dont have a touch sensor in the wheel, do they? I usually hold the wheel at the bottom, and if theres a capacitive sensor that doesnt extend between 4 and 8 oclock, I might not be hitting it.

Good question. Might be incorporated with the heated section. Anchorman might have a pdf on it.
I always assumed it was based on feedback from any resistance at the wheel, but that's just a wild guess.
That suggests some easy tests for you to try, holding it differently.

Well, theres this note in the manual:

<blockquote> If the steering wheel is held lightly, or depending on the road conditions, the system may detect that you have released the steering wheel (not holding the steering wheel) even if you are holding it, and display a message in the multi-information display or the active driving display. </blockquote>

That kind of suggests that Im running into an expected situation. I might just need to find more interesting roads than your average Interstate.

Ill try playing with the Cancel Sensitivity in the settings, too.

Turn the lane departure warning system off down behind the steering wheel if it bothers you. Its actually that system causing it. Ill explain later.

Last edited:
I believe it is based on a torque sensor incorporated into the electric steering.

I just finished a 4000 mile trip with my 2019 in all kinds of driving situations, from winding mountain roads to many interstate miles. I never had that warning appear and I often hold the wheel from the bottom when on long, straight sections of highway.

From experience, I think it human detection is based on 2 things, 1) steering wheel movement and 2) sensors placed just above the 3 and 6 spokes of the steering wheel.

...the 3 and 6 spokes of the steering wheel.
I assume you mean 3 and 9? Do you have any real information to support this?

Having worked on GMs Super Cruise system, I know a few things about hands on wheel detection. I figured that Mazda at least uses a torque sensor, since its pretty much the simplest detection method. I also figured that if they used a touch sensor, it would be mentioned in the owners manual.

Like I said in the OP, and was supported by the snippet from the manual, it looks like Im running into a situation where theres no steering input required for a long enough period for the system to time out and throw a warning. I was wondering if anybody had any bright ideas for clearing the error, short of swerving like Im drunk. Further examination of the manual indicates that hitting the gas will also clear the warning - Ill try that if it happens again.

Further examination of the manual indicates that hitting the gas will also clear the warning - I*ll try that if it happens again.

That should do it, anything confirming that you're alive and responsive.

I've read about this issue before, but i have yet to experience it on my car.
I do time to time get "BRAKE" warning when i'm passing someone who's double parked, and there is an incoming car on the other lane.

There are no sensors in the steering wheel. It relies entirely on feedback from the road. The same strain gauge in the steering column that detects the tiniest turn of the wheel and requests a proportionate amount of assistance from the power steering motor (electric power steering) is also sensitive enough to detect the tiniest feedback from the road. If it doesn*t get the tiniest response from the wheel it knows after a few seconds the driver isn*t holding the wheel. In the case of the OP, although he claims to be holding it at the bottom, if he comes clean, he*ll admit that he is merely resting his grip because even the smoothest roads send pulses back through the steering.

I'm new to this stuff. I experience the rumble or vibration when drifting, but the manual seems to indicate that there is also supposed to be some type of automatic steering correction. Quote from above Lane Keep PDF "If the possibility of a lane departure increases due to the driver's carelessness, the system assists the driver in preventing a lane departure by operating the steering wheel."
I've never seen that happen. But I'm not about to test it by running off the road at 60MPH. Actually I'm not sure I'd even want the intervention since it could be dangerous in some circumstances. So, is that supposed to happen? Maybe I've got it disabled? Like I said - I do see the indicators in the HUD and I get the feedback rumble/vib.

Last edited:
I'm new to this stuff. I experience the rumble or vibration when drifting, but the manual seems to indicate that there is also supposed to be some type of automatic steering correction. Quote from above Lane Keep PDF "If the possibility of a lane departure increases due to the driver's carelessness, the system assists the driver in preventing a lane departure by operating the steering wheel."
I've never seen that happen. But I'm not about to test it by running off the road at 60MPH. Actually I'm not sure I'd even want the intervention since it could be dangerous in some circumstances. So, it that supposed to happen? Maybe I've got it disabled? Like I said - I do see the indicators in the HUD and I get the feedback rumble/vib.

The warning and the assist are two different parts of the system. The wheel "assist" is pretty subtle. Make sure it's not disabled in settings.

You can test it by just drifting over to the fog line on the highway. While holding the wheel gently, you should feel or hear the alert, and then feel a slight movement of the wheel back toward your lane.

The lane assist on my 2019 Reserve seems to work well on the drivers side but not so much on the passenger side.

The lane keeping feels like running along lightly rutted pavement. It will nudge you back into a lane, not jerk the wheel out of your hand.

Back